Please help to install windows on laptop

jatt

In the zone
Hi frnds,

Happy new year,
Please help i purchased laptop with registered windows and a sticker on the back of this laptpop,but now i want to format whole hardisk and want to clean install regional registered windows 7 how can i do that,because there is no option for to fill serial key in if i install from another pirated CD.

sksundram

In the zone
I don't understand. Why you want to fresh install if you are not facing any problem. And in any case you should make a recovery disk using the pre installed software provided by your laptop manufacturer. State the laptop's manufacturer name and model that you have.

Did you get a repaid disk?

This thread from another forum will be helpful: *www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/151566-reinstalling-windows-7-a.html#post1300819

OP
jatt

jatt

In the zone
I don't understand. Why you want to fresh install if you are not facing any problem. And in any case you should make a recovery disk using the pre installed software provided by your laptop manufacturer. State the laptop's manufacturer name and model that you have.

its not working any more ,
so it needs to install clean window,thats why

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Download a copy from MS itself, you will get it through torrents. You will then get an option to enter serial key, and thereby activating the version of windows of which the serial key was for.

praneetsah

Broken In
Download a copy from MS itself, you will get it through torrents. You will then get an option to enter serial key, and thereby activating the version of windows of which the serial key was for.

I think that this way it won't work, but there might be chances that it works only when OP downloads the same windows 7 version as the laptop came with. But again I will say the chances are around 1% of the key to work like this! ...I would suggest the OP to simply download a pirated windows, moreover >50% PCs in india are pirated only :p

reniarahim1

Youngling
I think that this way it won't work, but there might be chances that it works only when OP downloads the same windows 7 version as the laptop came with. But again I will say the chances are around 1% of the key to work like this! ...I would suggest the OP to simply download a pirated windows, moreover >50% PCs in india are pirated only :p

wow! what a suggession :eek:
why do he need to use a pirated os when he has already paid for the OS?

praneetsah

Broken In
wow! what a suggession :eek:
why do he need to use a pirated os when he has already paid for the OS?

He need to use a pirated OS because: the key that was there on his laptop's back, has already been used with the OS that he is going to uninstall. And in most of the cases 1 key works on 1 PC only, and microsoft don't recognize same PC if you uninstall and install a new OS it will say that key has already been used by someone else, whereas that someone else is OP itself! ...Hope you got my point.

sksundram

In the zone
You should know that If the machine was sold with Windows 8 Pre-Installed, chances are the machine is using a UEFI bios with a secure section which contains the activation feature of windows 8. Look for a little Windows 8 sticker (the size of an intel inside sticker) on the case. It won't have a key on it but if there is one then chances are your "key" is embedded in the secure section of your BIOS. Microsoft is using this embedded licensing model to fight software piracy as OEM licenses are supposed to live and die with the OEM hardware.

In case you have windows 7 pre installed, look for COA (certificate of authentication) sticker either on the back or in the battery compartment. It will be there most probably.

In order to get product key use this software *www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

As i said before you have to create a windows recovery disk. Windows will automatically pull the product key from the chip upon the first installation as well as subsequent reinstalls (i.e. when you perform a full Windows 8 recovery).

@praneetsah: tdf condemns piracy in all forms. so avoid giving suggestions for piracy.

Last edited:

praneetsah

Broken In
You should know that If the machine was sold with Windows 8 Pre-Installed, chances are the machine is using a UEFI bios with a secure section which contains the activation feature of windows 8. Look for a little Windows 8 sticker (the size of an intel inside sticker) on the case. It won't have a key on it but if there is one then chances are your "key" is embedded in the secure section of your BIOS. Microsoft is using this embedded licensing model to fight software piracy as OEM licenses are supposed to live and die with the OEM hardware.

In case you have windows 7 pre installed, look for COA (certificate of authentication) sticker either on the back or in the battery compartment. It will be there must probably.

In order to get product key use this software KeyFinder | Magical Jelly Bean

As i said before you have to create a windows recovery disk. Windows will automatically pull the product key from the chip upon the first installation as well as subsequent reinstalls (i.e. when you perform a full Windows 8 recovery).

Whoa! :shock: I didn't knew that, I guess OP should try it and it should work!

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
He need to use a pirated OS because: the key that was there on his laptop's back, has already been used with the OS that he is going to uninstall. And in most of the cases 1 key works on 1 PC only, and microsoft don't recognize same PC if you uninstall and install a new OS it will say that key has already been used by someone else, whereas that someone else is OP itself! ...Hope you got my point.

even if the online activation fails, phone activation may help sometimes.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
if it is windows 8 pre-installed then there is no way to fresh install without using a complicated way of creating a modified win 8 SL iso.for more info follow this thread:
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/software-q/180226-reinstalling-windows-laptop.html
if it is windows 7 pre-installed then simply use the COA sticker key & phone activation.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
If your laptop came with windows 7 and you want to do a clean install thus removing the preloaded boatwares, you can download official iso from digitalriver and then use the phone activation method.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
if by bios modification you mean slic then yes it will work with windows 7 but is risky & may result in a dead laptop while phone activation is much safer & reliable so no need to take unnecessary risk.for windows 8 there is no such way & only way to reinstall a genuine win 8 is by following a complex method of creating a modified win 8 iso.

Hrishi

if by bios modification you mean slic then yes it will work with windows 7 but is risky & may result in a dead laptop while phone activation is much safer & reliable so no need to take unnecessary risk.for windows 8 there is no such way & only way to reinstall a genuine win 8 is by following a complex method of creating a modified win 8 iso.

No , I meant if one is using a laptop with Windows 8 Pre-installed , and he intends to downgrades to Win 7.
( Aren't there modified BIOS available online for popular laptops models ,? I know it's very risky though. )

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
it doesn't matter whether it is downgrade or fresh install,to activate win 7 your laptop must have COA sticker key(not available for windows 8 laptops) or slic 2.1 in bios(which requires bios modification).win 8 requires slic 3.0 which can not be achieved by bios mod unlike slic 2.1.

Top Bottom