Please help me to choose a good config

Status
Not open for further replies.

arijit_2404

still find time for games
Hi all, I am just joined the community. After reading many topics I must say this is a great community for Indian pc users.

Let's come to the point. I am going to upgrade my pc which is going to be a gaming pc. I have 19" samsung 943NWX and I would like to play latest games at least in 1280x1024.

I am only going to buy CPU + mobo + RAM + GFX + PSU. I will reuse my other existing components like, HDD, DVD-RW, cabinet etc.
After reading few topics I have gathered some information. I have made two configurations given below:

Intel based:
Abit IP35E + C2D E8400 + 4GB DDR2 800mhz + Radeon4850 + CoolerMaster 600W PSU
This will cost around 30K

AMD based:
MSI K9A2 CF + Phenom 9550 + 4GB DDR2 800mhz + Radeon4850 + CoolerMaster 600W PSU
This will cost me around 32K

Now I am bit confused which one to pick. Please help me out to choose a configuration.
I would like to say that the config should be future proof for next 4 yrs. at least. I am also open to other suggestions or modifications.

By the way, I've never used any Intel. Previously I used AMD-k6/2, Athlon xp 2000+ and now Athlon X2 3600+. I choose this intel combo based on various topics.

Advantage of intel config is that Intel now performs better than AMD in gaming, but don't know how much gain I can get. Advantage of amd config is that it is xFire supported combo so in future i can plug another HD4850 or may be sell this 4850 and plug two 4850X2 depending upon my savings.

I have read that many knowledgable gurus are present here. Please help me to choose the best of these two.
PS: If you need other information I'll be happy to share.

EDIT: I have just learned, AMD is going to release a new chipset 790GX. What is the extra advantages over 790FX? Is it worth the wait or shall I go ahead with my upgrade?

Last edited:

The Conqueror

Elevating Humanity
Get Intel Based.Btw Intel is making a major processor release in sept-oct so better if you can upgrade at that time.

OP
arijit_2404

arijit_2404

Ok, I have read last 5/6 pages carefully. I can understand that Intel is ahead of AMD right now. Though I've never used intel but I've respect for them (they invented the microprocessor after all) but I avoided Intel for highly priced components till now.

Anyway, I have something more to share which I didn't in first post (it didn't came up that time). I had to cough up some hard cash just now and it landed me with some short of cash for full-upgrade I am planning for. :(

So I was thinking some workaround and I came up with this -
Right now I have X2 3600+ (windsor) and 3GB (2x1gb + 2x512mb) 533DDR2.
Now if I stick with the AMD platform what I can gain:

1. I can buy a good future-proof mobo (MSI K9A2 CF for 6000/- or MSI K9A2 PlatinumV2 for 9000/-), both are crossfire enabled and upto 8GB RAM supported. These are based on AMD79* series chipset.

2. Now both of these mobos do supports my current RAM modules and CPU. I can reuse those for the time being, I know the overall performance will be same.

3. I will buy HD4850 now with this mobo that will give me some good gaming experience with this CPU+RAM, i guess enough for 1024x768 resolution (please comment on this).

3. Once Phenom 99xx comes affordable, I will buy that and plug into this mobo alongwith 4GB 800DDR2 (will discurd 533DDR2 then). This may be in Nov/Dec 2008. Maybe I will buy another 4850 to make crossfire connection.

4. This way I don't need to wait for a good machine and also part-by-part upgrade will be under budget.

Now I am not a hardcore gamer and I don't play all games in Ultra-High Settings with AA enabled at highest possible resolution. I will be happy to play the games in medium settings (or High for some games) without AA.

So, Can a Phenom-based PC with lots of RAM and crossfire HD4xxx gfx card [by nov I will upgrade to this config] will be able to handle my requirements? Will it be able to achieve playable speed?

If I go for Intel config I have to wait longer because I can't re-use existing setup like this and I've to buy mobo+cpu+ram+gfx : all at once. And right now a Quad-Core Intel(Q6600) + SLI mobo (with at least 8GB ram support and futureproof) + RAM and GFX will be costly, I don't know exactly but I think around 25-30K. Am I right?
Unless I see a good reason for waiting, I want to avoid that path.
Please comment and clear my confusion.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
I would say that you should stick to the current config for few more months.

The new mobos that comes at the end of year will have support for DDR3, PCIe 2.0, directX 10.1 and so on. It's better to wait.

So, for now, get HD4850 as it will not change for next few months or a year. Or just wait till end of the year.

It's better to save money for the new architecture than to make a step-by-step change right now.

Save money and buy all at a time

Last edited:
OP
arijit_2404

arijit_2404

get amd i prefer that coz i use intel

What made you for this statement? Are you facing any problem with current gen intel? I have read many great reviews about intel. thats why I stopped by this topic before making a final decision. otherwise previously intel was lagging behind amd in athlon, later in x2 architecture. its COREthat beats phenom.
care to share your thought? :smile:

I would say that you should stick to the current config for few more months.

The new mobos that comes at the end of year will have support for DDR3, PCIe 2.0, directX 10.1 and so on. It's better to wait.

So, for now, get HD4850 as it will not change for next few months or a year. Or just wait till end of the year.

It's better to save money for the new architecture than to make a step-by-step change right now.

Save money and buy all at a time

i will think about it. it seems a good advice. but new architecture means heavily priced, but AMD has competitive price always.
by the way do you think new architecture will make phenom at par with intel's quad-core?

Last edited:
OP
arijit_2404

arijit_2404

After more study. . . I've changed my configuration.

Hi all,

After much research, I've decided on this configuration. I included Intel for the first time, because I've read many good reviews for latest processors.

Intel:
Intel E8400 processor
ASUS P5Q-Pro motherboard

AMD:
ASUS M3A32-MVP Deluxe motherboard
AMD Phenom 9750 processor

Common for both setup:
OCZ 4GB 1066Mhz DDR2 RAM
WesternDigital 500GB HDD
Coolermaster 650W ExtremePower PSU
ThermalRight Ultra120A Cooling solution

GFX:
Either Sapphire 4850 or Sapphire 4870 - (confused which one to buy and price)

I am from Kolkata. Can anybody tell me about the street prices of these components.
Also comment about overall configuration. Any about short comings or future upgradablity. That will be helpful for me to change some config.

Note: I have decided to reuse 19" Samsung 943WX, DVD-RW, Keyb, Mouse, 4.1 Speaker from existing system.

OP
arijit_2404

arijit_2404

Coming back after a hectic schedule!

Lately it was very hectic schedules for me at workplace. I couldn't even follow up the thread properly. Anyway, last week end I went to the market for some last time study.

Here is my config I've decided to buy:
Intel C2D E8400
ASUS P5Q
800Mhz DDR2 4GB
Corsair 450W PSU
Thermalright Ultra120A heatsink

Now I omitted HDD too as I think I can use my existing SATA 160GB HDD (sticking to my first plan) as I regularly take backups in DVDs. So above config is excellent solution for me right now and it'll cost around 24-25K total.

I have thinking to get a Radeon 4870X2. Geecube card will cost around 28K in lynx-india. so either I've to get some extra bucks from somewhere (credit cards are always there but i am trying to avoid it) or I'll wait till it comes down to 20-22K so that i can afford it and until that happens I'll use existing 8600GT (hopefully in 3/4 months ;) it'll come down). Anyway whichever way I go it is sure I'm going for 4870X2 as my GFX card to play the games on my 19" samsung LCD. Can't wait guys! :)

Before I go ahead I've small doubt.
1. 4870X2 will be hot. Shall I also buy cooling product for GFX card? I've seen Arctic Cooling products for ATI cards and they are good products worldwide). Link here : *www.arctic-cooling.com/vga2.php?idx=147
I already have 2 fans in my cabinet though and it's speciaous. I've read about fan-speed tweaks for ATI 4000 series cards.

2. Will Corsair 450W PSU handle this GFX card? I've read that this PSU can actually give output around 550W. Is this true? Or shall I opt for higher wattage PSU ?

Please clarify this doubt so that I can go for the machine. I'm going for this machine in coming weekend.

Thanks a lot for your attention.
PS: GFX card is not in current schedule, it's for near future schedule - perhaps festive season bonus will buy me that. :smile:

Last edited:

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
An offbeat question - A frnd requires a proccy. Which is good E8400 or E7200?
What is difference between two? Is the +Rs.2K justified in E8400?
I suggested him E7200.

OP
arijit_2404

arijit_2404

^^
E8400 is 3GHz. Isn't it worthy?

I am not at all good at overclocking. So I thought I should get a higher clocked processor.

Sincerely, I don't know the diff between them. What I'm seeing is the clock speed. Is there any technological advantages or disadvantages ? I've to check diff sites and intel sites too!

Last edited:

imgame2

Padawan
Re: Coming back after a hectic schedule!

Lately it was very hectic schedules for me at workplace. I couldn't even follow up the thread properly. Anyway, last week end I went to the market for some last time study.

Here is my config I've decided to buy:
Intel C2D E8400
ASUS P5Q
800Mhz DDR2 4GB
Corsair 450W PSU

Now I omitted HDD too as I think I can use my existing SATA 160GB HDD (sticking to my first plan) as I regularly take backups in DVDs. So above config is excellent solution for me right now and it'll cost around 24-25K total.

I have thinking to get a Radeon 4870X2. Geecube card will cost around 28K in lynx-india. so either I've to get some extra bucks from somewhere (credit cards are always there but i am trying to avoid it) or I'll wait till it comes down to 20-22K so that i can afford it and until that happens I'll use existing 8600GT (hopefully in 3/4 months ;) it'll come down). Anyway whichever way I go it is sure I'm going for 4870X2 as my GFX card to play the games on my 19" samsung LCD. Can't wait guys! :)

Before I go ahead I've small doubt.
1. 4870X2 will be hot. Shall I also buy cooling product for GFX card? I've seen Arctic Cooling products for ATI cards and they are good products worldwide). Link here : *www.arctic-cooling.com/vga2.php?idx=147
I already have 2 fans in my cabinet though and it's speciaous. I've read about fan-speed tweaks for ATI 4000 series cards.

2. Will Corsair 450W PSU handle this GFX card? I've read that this PSU can actually give output around 550W. Is this true? Or shall I opt for higher wattage PSU ?

Please clarify this doubt so that I can go for the machine. I'm going for this machine in coming weekend.

Thanks a lot for your attention.
PS: GFX card is not in current schedule, it's for near future schedule - perhaps festive season bonus will buy me that. :smile:

1.the cooling u are suggesting only supports HD4850/HD4870..not HD4870x2...
2.no corsair can't handle 4870x2 u need atleast 650W of PSU according to sapphire 4870x2......so i think minimum u should think of is corsair HX620W...and thats minimum ..u will have to either go for 700W tagan or 700W antec to be sue that runs doesn't fall short of power .....

and ur 19" monitor is serious bottleneck to the card u are buying ....heck its even a bottle neck to HD4850 ...consider buying atleast a 24" monitor to see some real difference ....

Let's come to the point. I am going to upgrade my pc which is going to be a gaming pc. I have 19" samsung 943NWX and I would like to play latest games at least in 1280x1024.

Now I am bit confused which one to pick. Please help me out to choose a configuration.
I would like to say that the config should be future proof for next 4 yrs. at least. I am also open to other suggestions or modifications.

Advantage of intel config is that Intel now performs better than AMD in gaming, but don't know how much gain I can get. Advantage of amd config is that it is xFire supported combo so in future i can plug another HD4850 or may be sell this 4850 and plug two 4850X2 depending upon my savings.

Now I am not a hardcore gamer and I don't play all games in Ultra-High Settings with AA enabled at highest possible resolution. I will be happy to play the games in medium settings (or High for some games) without AA.

So, Can a Phenom-based PC with lots of RAM and crossfire HD4xxx gfx card [by nov I will upgrade to this config] will be able to handle my requirements? Will it be able to achieve playable speed?

if u want it to use for gaming then go for intel ...i don't know much about AMD so can't comment...

1.nothing is future proof in computer hardware for 4 years max life for any computer technology is 1.5 to 2years....thats all so make high hopes of making it 4 years of future proof.for example if u buy a DDR2 based mobo now ..and after 6months DDR3 RAM manufacturing comes in main stream ..and it will wipe away DDR2 in a year from now ...it can happen..as was the trend in the past.

2.ur monitor is only 19" and u don't want to play games on ultra-high settings ...then u must go for HD4850,it runs every available game in market today @ ultra high settings with all eye candy on ...at those resolutions and @ 1680x1050 (22"monitors),even using a HD4850 on a 19" is a bottleneck to potential of HD4850.cos any other powerful card will make ur 100 FPS to 120 FPS ..and u will feel no difference at all !

3.even a decent E8200+MSI P45e +4GbRAM+HD4850 can blow away any game on a 22"/24" monitor.and can do any imaginable task for a professional user or gamer.its more than enough for anybody's need ..IMO.

my personal experience is always go for best VFM things as u won't get hit hard...otherwise if u buy some real high priced gem and something better comes in 6 months....then the high priced gem u bought is of no use ..u can't even sell it ..as the new thing that has come is better and cheaper...

Last edited:

acewin

Point Blanc
afaik E7200 n E8400 both are value of the money spent, so no grudges.
Its just that e8400 has more speed and more cache

and I say positive to desi and ingame, dude stick with ur specs it run for nXt 6 months for sure, you did not mention your current gfx card.
get good GPU+PSU if wanna boom on the gaming specs but again as ingame2 said you will enjoy it on bigger monitors only,

buy proccy and mobo atleast 3 months later. new nehalems are coming this month price will be affected in the next 2 months.

Which mobo u got if it supports RAM upgrade do it. Current GPUs priced 5-6K are good enough to keep max res in 19 inch for games. But spending that much would be a waste.

You need to really decide on the priority. And if you wanna buy in november or December think at that time only of the specs. By october in all budget you will be getting different proccy.

Lowest cost nehalem's quoted price is equal to C2Q 9450.

OP
arijit_2404

arijit_2404

Hi acewin, ingame2 and others for your expert comments.
Here's my answer:
1. My current card is 8600GT - can't play fullscreen games in high settings, 1024x768 is okay but who wants to play in black bordered window? :mad:

2. I can't wait long - my current setup is failed (PSU and Mobo).

3. your posts are eye-opener to me. so I've changed my setup like this:
Intel C2D E8400
MSI P45-E
800Mhz DDR2 4GB
Corsair 620W PSU
HD4850 512MB

So is this good config and VFM?
I can see extra money is saved from mobo and GFX. So in future I will get a 22", then HD4850 will be in full potential.
What do you say ?
:smile:

OP
arijit_2404

arijit_2404

"3.even a decent E8200+MSI P45e +4GbRAM+HD4850 can blow away any game on a 22"/24" monitor.and can do any imaginable task for a professional user or gamer.its more than enough for anybody's need ..IMO." - ingame2

By the way, I didn't find any motherboard with above model number P45E in MSI-India site. Can you post exact model number? :confused:

imgame2

Padawan
^^ Thanks!

One more question. :p
Which brand should I go for HD4850?

my suggestion would be to go for a 22" monitor or if possible for 24"...but 24" are a little bit pricey than 22"

but if u really have money and u are buying a 22" inch monitor u can consider going for HD4870 @ about 17k ...and a corsair 550Vx PSU (even a VX450 will do just fine)....

with HD4850 u need a corsair 450 VX PSU ....unlike other PSU companies ...corsair rates their PSU for the constant power they can provide ....so a 450VX can provide quite almost about 450W everytime which is different from CM..

thus saving on a PSU u can invest on a monitor and perhaps on a HD4870 for ur liking ....i m just telling u the options ...other than that the mobo+CPU combo is great !

on personal note --whichever brand u go for make sure u get the card with latest manufacturing date...

a palit HD4850 now costs from 9.5k to 9.7k ...but sapphire one comes for about 10.6k or more ...and performance wise there is no differene between them

sapphire is bundled better (crossfire connector and other cables)

also a word of caution market is flooded with old sapphire cardswhich gives problem of heating and noise(card with newer bios will not have it)...hence i m telling to look for the the one with latest manufacturing date ....

palit cards are of newer batch and comes with newest BIOS and doesn't face any problem so far (i know atleast 4-5 person(including me) in this forum who bought the palit card and face no problem ).....

look for the input of the person who has sapphire cards they can tell u better about performance ....

palit and Xpertvision are same cards since they are same company!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom