please help - free antivirus

vivekchakraverty

Right off the assembly line
i have 2 computers 1 with net another without.now i want to know which anti-viruses can i use in my machine without internet,paid or free, that can be installed and updated offline?please help quickly.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Avira AntiVir - *www.avira.com/en/free-download-avira-antivir-personal

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Avira AntiVir Free is the bset Free Av which will fullfill all of your requirements.

Other alternatives are Clam AV, Avast home edition and AVG free edition.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
^^ the firewall is better than paid version but not the AV. Avast & Avira beats it. and the update is something around 95Mb :shock: & yes its damn slow.

forget to mention, if anyone visit dailytech (part of Anandtech), do read about the recent mess AVG created after deleting some system file as malware. its Win7 & Vista that took the beating i suppose, resulting in endless loop of restarts. only cure is to format or use restore from a restore point using the Win7 DVD.

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Apart from d OP everyone has replied.

things like this happens all the time - many members ( mostly new ) just forget to post their feedback - so this is not a big deal.

how about COMODO Internet Security Premium? AV+Firewall+Intrusion detection system... free!! I use it... :D

comodo don't has offline update packs like other 3 free AVs.

^^ the firewall is better than paid version but not the AV. Avast & Avira beats it. and the update is something around 95Mb :shock: & yes its damn slow.

forget to mention, if anyone visit dailytech (part of Anandtech), do read about the recent mess AVG created after deleting some system file as malware. its Win7 & Vista that took the beating i suppose, resulting in endless loop of restarts. only cure is to format or use restore from a restore point using the Win7 DVD.

Read about on Tom's HW and heard they have released a fix for this

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here's the steps -

1. Download the modified version of AVG Rescue CD designed to fix this particular problem. You can download either the iso image (for bootable CD creation) or zip archive (bootable USB creation).

a) To create bootable CD:
Burn the downloaded iso image file to an empty CD using your favourite CD burning software (Nero, ImgBurn, BurnAware Free, ...). Please do not use Windows built-in burner as it cannot create bootable media. In the burning software, select the Burn iso image option (or similar).

b) To create bootable USB disk:
Extract the downloaded archive and run the setup.exe file. As a destination please select a letter corresponding to an empty USB disk and wait until the installation is finished.

2. Perform these steps after you have created either CD or USB disk:
Boot the affected computer from the created CD or USB disk. (This can be usually done by repeatedly pressing the F12key until the boot menu appears. If the F12 key does not work or you are unable to select to boot from CD or USB disk, please see your mainboard´s manual or contact the manufacturer of the computer).
Wait until the AVG Rescue CD begins to boot up (this will be done automatically after 6 seconds or by selecting the first option in main menu).
When prompted, press any key to automatically fix the situation.
Then please press Enter to reboot your PC.

3. After booting to your operating system, repair the AVG installation as described in FAQ 3003 if your AVG is in error state.

If you are concerned that the described issue may affect you because your computer is asking for a restart after the recent update, but you HAVE NOT yet restarted your computer, please download and run this fixcorex utility from our website. After running this utility it is safe to restart your computer.

Download links and more infos can be found on Source

Last edited:

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
^^ thanks. still AVG will loose a lot of their customers. i hope same doesn't happen with Avast else i'll be in trouble :smile:

Top Bottom