Please answer

imnasir

Broken In
Kindly tell me if I can share a lan internet connection in my room over wifi through a router?? If yes, then how??

sksundram

In the zone
yes, you can. it is the job of the router to provide wifi which can be accessed by anybody provided they have the password (always use WPA or WPA2 as security protocols while setting up the router)

OP
I

imnasir

Broken In
yes, you can. it is the job of the router to provide wifi which can be accessed by anybody provided they have the password (always use WPA or WPA2 as security protocols while setting up the router)

Thanks for replying.. Also please tell how to set up the lan connection with the router so that I'm able to share it..I mean how to connect the lan cable to router?? And which router do u suggest for this purpose?

Nerevarine

Incarnate
*img5a.flixcart.com//image/router/h/f/r/asus-rt-n10-ez-n-wireless-router-400x400-imad5yz52ftbtvf2.jpeg

plug in the ethernet cable from modem to the blue jack.. that is the input
The other yellow ones are the output, you plug in your computer through there

To configure passwords and other stuff go to router config page, which should be written on the instructions..
Its usually 192.168.100.1 but may be different for others

OP
I

imnasir

Broken In
The internet in my hostel room is available through LAN..there is no modem..what to do in that case?

- - - Updated - - -

*img5a.flixcart.com//image/router/h/f/r/asus-rt-n10-ez-n-wireless-router-400x400-imad5yz52ftbtvf2.jpeg

plug in the ethernet cable from modem to the blue jack.. that is the input
The other yellow ones are the output, you plug in your computer through there

To configure passwords and other stuff go to router config page, which should be written on the instructions..
Its usually 192.168.100.1 but may be different for others

The internet in my hostel room is available through LAN..there is no modem..what to do in that case?

Nerevarine

Incarnate
if its available via LAN, i.e. an ethernet jack.. all you have to do is plug it in to the blue jack you see on that pic..
Besides, if you dont need wireless connectivity, you can even go for an ethernet switch box which is super cheap.. You can share internet connection via lan cables only though that way

sksundram

In the zone
1. basic setup goes like this: insert the lan cable in the LAN port of the router (provided at the back side). now you have to open the settings page of the router by typing 192.168.1.1 (or something similar,it varies from manufacturer to manufacturer) in the address bar of your brower (like chrome). a page asking the username and password will open. after providing the username and password (which happens to be "admin" in most of the cases), the settings page shall open up. now you have to choose static OR dynapic IP from the options (you have to check whether you have static IP or dynamic IP in the network settings of your computer). now set the security protocols (preferably WPA2). save the settings and that's it.

OP
I

imnasir

Broken In
if its available via LAN, i.e. an ethernet jack.. all you have to do is plug it in to the blue jack you see on that pic..
Besides, if you dont need wireless connectivity, you can even go for an ethernet switch box which is super cheap.. You can share internet connection via lan cables only though that way

& if I need wireless connectivity in that case which router should I choose?..I inly need wifi connectivity in that room..so range is not that much of an issue.

sksundram

In the zone
^yes. In case it is out of your budget, search this forum for routers falling in your budget and choose an appropriate one.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
No you do not need modem router as long as the LAN cable coming to your room allows direct internet access.. Do you have internet access when you connect that cable directly to your pc ? if so you donot need a modem router, get a standard one
Asus RT-N10U 150Mbps Wireless-N Router - Asus: Flipkart.com

my suggestion, comes with USB port..
After you install DD-WRT, you can directly download torrents/files to a connected external HDD without PC turning on

OP
I

imnasir

Broken In
No you do not need modem router as long as the LAN cable coming to your room allows direct internet access.. Do you have internet access when you connect that cable directly to your pc ? if so you donot need a modem router, get a standard one

After you install DD-WRT, you can directly download torrents/files to a connected external HDD without PC turning on

Yes the internet access is direct as soon as I connect the cable to my PC..I don't need to enter any settings

- - - Updated - - -

What about this basic router??

*www.flipkart.com/tp-link-tl-wr740n-150mbps-wireless-n-router/p/itmdrmmgfwnyhzvy?pid=RTRD7HN3B2FKYXH4&srno=b_2&ref=4d5a3245-eea8-4380-8e38-c32d876b8b31

Nerevarine

Incarnate
I dont have much experience regarding TP link routers as i own 1 asus and 1 dlink..
I would recommend ASUS, go for RT-N10E if you want cheap..
their warranty, is pretty good

Top Bottom