Planning to buy a laptop from US for a price below $650. Need your suggestions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sourabh

Laptoping
Oops, I suggested the Studio 15 for $750 budget. You should go with dv5z (HP Shopping) which is available starting from $600. But opt for ZM-80 Turion Ultra CPU. Stock config comes with 1GB RAM but you can upgrade it yourself to 4GB later for an extra 2.5k INR. Just google for review of the dv5z and lookout for the notebookreview.com review. Don't compare new laptops with refurb deals when making a decision.

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
I would not prefer AMD that's for sure. Most probably I will be going for Intel Core 2 Duo. Just a few days back I found one good configuration. Anybody here know about Mail in Rebates. The only thing I know is that we have to fill some rebate form and after 8 weeks or so we will get a cheque.

HP Pavilion dv6928us , Intel Core 2 Duo T5750, 2.0GHz, 15.4" WXGA, 3GB, 250GB, LightScribe SuperMulti DVD drive, Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100, 802.11a/b/g/n, Built-in webcam, Bluetooth, 5-in-1 media card reader, Windows Vista Home Premium » for $629.99 at CircuitCity.com

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
A MIR entitles the buyer to mail in a coupon, a receipt and barcode in order to receive a check for a particular amount, depending on the particular product, time, and often place of purchase.

source: wikipedia.

Last edited:
OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
Finally I was able to get hold of the Dell laptop. Just need some suggestions from you all folks. If I don't have inbuilt blue tooth in my laptop what is the best option for me? Do I purchase the blue tooth dongle or will I get any type of card that I can install in the laptop.

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.
^^AFAIK even a Dell Inspiron 1525 comes with inbuilt BlueTooth (Its a different story if you customized on your own :) ).

choudang

Padawan
dear o dear,

if i could have this ops, i will surely go for Alienware, reason behind it

1. I am not importing, some one will buy and carry to India (no custom)
2. High end where i can go for anything like games/multimedia/audio/animation
3. Area-51® m9750 is costing $1300 (*42 (?) = 54600) where as Lenovo/Dell will cost more (on basic, after modification, it might cost to 75600/- ($1800) [i have closed it @ $2100)

But it has few drawback like
1. No support as it not shipping to India
2. You can not do any R&D or go for rough & tough use.

apart from that, if budget can go little high, i will recommend DELL M1330 (not able to recall,, which will not coming to india, but you will able to get support from dell.

R2K

In the Zone
do we have to pay customs duty when bringing lappys from outside india... i mean when we purchase a brand new lappy and carrying it with us to india in our luggage...

choudang

Padawan
To the frank, I was not aware of that, thanks buddy. I heard different things that it should have the cash memo else it will be taken by customs.

R2K

In the Zone
^^

r u sure that we will have to pay customs duty for getting the laptop to india

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
I finally got the laptop. Can anyone help me in finding a converter so that I can charge my laptop here in India? one of my friends was telling that I need to check the specifications on the power plug like 110V 60Hz etc and then buy a corresponding converter for it.

Someone please help me out!

Last edited:

R2K

In the Zone
^^

post the config and model.......sorry....can't help u on charger and stuff like that.......

IronManForever

IronMan; Ready to Roll...
ajayritik said:
HP Pavilion tx2500z, AMD Turion(TM) X2 Dual-Core Mobile RM-70, 2.0 GHz, 12.1" WXGA w/Integrated Touch-screen, 2GB RAM, 160GB, SuperMulti DVD+/-RW w/Double Layer, 802.11 b/g, HP Imprint Finish (Echo) + Microphone + Webcam + Fingerprint Reader, Windows Vista Home Premium » for $699.99 at HPShopping.com
Holy $hit!! i never found it soo cheap ANYWHERE... :shock:

And BTW congrats on your new purchase.

raksrules

Youngling
Can we get a laptop as our personal lappy ?? I have recently purchased a laptop in Canada and am coming back to India in mid November. I hope i dont have to pay any money to customs etc.

Please someone clarify

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
I finally got the laptop. Can anyone help me in finding a converter so that I can charge my laptop here in India? one of my friends was telling that I need to check the specifications on the power plug like 110V 60Hz etc and then buy a corresponding converter for it.

Someone please help me out!
Afaik, the adapter (the big block which converts AC to DC) can work with 110V as well as 220V. Just flip the block to confirm. If it does then simply go to the nearest electrical shop and buy a flat to round pin plug converter (retails for less than 20 bucks).

If the adapter is not universal (which is unlikely), then you will need to buy a new adapter for your laptop.

Before powering up your laptop with the first method make sure that the adapter works on 220V; otherwise you may blow it up!

Can we get a laptop as our personal lappy ?? I have recently purchased a laptop in Canada and am coming back to India in mid November. I hope i dont have to pay any money to customs etc.

Please someone clarify
If you are getting only one laptop - then yes you will be exempt from customs provided you declare that as your belonging and for personal use. Also make sure that you haf its purchase receipt in hand.

raksrules

Youngling
@infra

But if i have its purchase receipt and i show them incase they ask. then i am not supposed to pay anything rite

Infact why shud i say that i bought it from Canada, just be it my personal laptop for personal use.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Exactly. You don't show them the receipt unless they ask you to prove that you bought it. The receipt is just a proof indicating that its not stolen but legally purchased by you and you are NOT showing it unless asked for.

You will be declaring that the laptop is yours and its for personal use. But thats the case when you are carrying only ONE laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom