Planning to buy a laptop from US for a price below $650. Need your suggestions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajayritik

Technomancer
I'm planning to get a laptop from US. My budget is around $650. What is the configuration that I should look for. I'm not much into gaming,etc. Will be using it mostly for browsing, checking mails and maybe sometimes watching movies. I don't really need a very high end PC. I think I should go for Core2Duo processor. I'm not sure what are the other things that I should look for when purchasing a laptop. Can you please all help me?

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
All the manufacturers have now released laptops based on Centrino2.

If you want to find good deals, check deals2buy.com

also you can check at

buy.com
amazon.com
circuitcity.com

check HP DV6700T series. You can get a core2duo model for 700$.

HP is now giving a 100$ rebat on this series.

For 690$ you get,

Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo Processor T5750 (2.0GHz)
15.4" diagonal WXGA High-Definition HP BrightView Widescreen Display (1280 x 800)
1Gb RAM DDR2 (there may be a free upgrade to 3Gb RAM)
X3100 onboard GPU
120Gb HDD
DVDwriter
*www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shoppin...t_series&a1=Category&v1=Versatile performance

PS: Earlier bulids of HP DV6000 series had hinge issues. You may have to check with HP and other forum members here if this issue is resolved or not.

Checked the HP site, the current model of dv6700t is using the rugged hinge that is used by most of the manufacturers for years.

You need not worry about the hinge now :)

Last edited:

gopz

In the zone
hmm...browsing, checking mails, movies....check out the below link, it suits your budget

*www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3642084&CatId=2510

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
1) Go for Centrino Duo (based on core2duo)
2) Atleast 1Gb of RAM
3) GPU: X3100 onboard or nVidia 8600M GT
4) Don't go for Vista Home Basic. It's the worst OS. Get Vista Home Premium
5) 15.4" display. Stay away from glossy displays

This will help you understand better : *reviews.cnet.com/laptop-buying-guide/

monkey

Padawan
Some more sites to check: www.bestbuy.com
www.newegg.com

At $650 its better to opt for AMD based lappy. I just bought my lappy from US and had done 1 month research before investing. Core2 Duos are pathetic under $750 price range. AMD lappy's from Acer would be better deal.

If opting for Intel then the best will get is Core2 Duo T5xxx series (which are only OK at best).

If you can get Win XP as OS then even lowly configured lappys will be fine. Its Vista which will force you to go for higher spec lappy. Avoid Vista.

gopz

In the zone
Another deal here $599.00 only:

Toshiba Satellite A205-S5859

• Intel Core 2 Duo T5550
• 250GB hard drive
• Built-in 802.11agn wireless

• 2GB of DDR2 memory
• Burns DVDs and CDs
• Built-in webcam

*www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Toshiba-Sa...07722/catOid/-12963/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
^^ yep. this one's even better deal. Toshiba laptopts are pretty reliable. Make sure you don't get refurbished model :)

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
Of the following models which one would be nice?

Gateway P-6831 FX, Intel Pentium Core 2 Duo, 17-inch Ultrabright WXGA, 3GB RAM, 250GB HDD, NVIDIA GeForce 8800M GTS 512 MB, 802.11b/g, Bluetooth, Webcam, HDMI, 8X Multi-format Double Layer, Windows Vista Home Premium (Factory Refurbished) » for $599.99 at Buy.com Refurbished, Should I go for this?

HP Pavilion dv6700t Special Edition, Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo T5750, 2.0GHz, 15.4" WXGA+, 3GB RAM, 250GB, SuperMulti DVD+/-RW w/Double Layer, 802.11 a/b/g, HP Imprint Finish (Influx) + Fingerprint Reader + Webcam + Microphone, High Capacity 6 Cell Battery, Windows Vista Home Premium » for $653.99 at HPShopping.com ---thinking of going ahead with this one in terms of the highlighted differences.

HP Pavilion dv2700t Special Edition, Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo T5750, 2.0GHz, 14.1" WXGA+, 2GB RAM, 250GB, SuperMulti DVD+/-RW w/Double Layer, 802.11 b/g, HP Imprint Finish (Verve) + Webcam + Microphone, Windows Vista Home Premium » for $624.99 at HPShopping.com

HP Pavilion dv6910us, AMD Turion X2 TL-60, 2.00GHz, 15.4" WXGA, 3GB, 200GB, LightScribe SuperMulti DVD±R/RW drive, NVIDIA GeForce Go 7150M, 802.11 b/g, Built-in webcam, 5-in-1 Media card reader, Windows® Vista Home Premium » for $599.99 at CircuitCity.com

HP Pavilion tx2500z, AMD Turion(TM) X2 Dual-Core Mobile RM-70, 2.0 GHz, 12.1" WXGA w/Integrated Touch-screen, 2GB RAM, 160GB, SuperMulti DVD+/-RW w/Double Layer, 802.11 b/g, HP Imprint Finish (Echo) + Microphone + Webcam + Fingerprint Reader, Windows Vista Home Premium » for $699.99 at HPShopping.com

Sourabh

Laptoping
dv5z! Most VFM laptop out there. $599 base config after $100 instant rebate. You can upgrade to ZM-80 CPU, WSXGA+ LCD and high capacity 6-cell battery if you want.

But yeah, there are some amazing deals on refurb products too (especially at buy.com). But prefer buying a new one (if high-end performance is not a priority).

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
Does anyone here know about
*forums.slickdeals.net/

When I checked out the site I found things like Coupon which I didnt understand what was it for? How to get a coupon etc? If someone has some info about the site do let me know.

Sourabh

Laptoping
Coupons are promotional codes which get you added discount. To use them, you have to add the product to cart as you'd do normally and while finalizing your order - you enter them (in a text box) to reflect the coupon discount (before checkout).

Coupons are valid for limited time (for a particular product only) and are frequently changed. The intensity of discount also varies. To get a hang of it, just grab some dell coupons and use them on laptops/desktop PCs. It's fun to see a $500 stackable coupon at work :) A high-end $1,399 system's price gets slashed to $899.

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
Are these promotional codes available only in the above mentioned forums deals and also the have mentioned that we can't purchase it from some of the sites like hpshopping.com, best buy.com and almost most of them. Then from where should I place the order online.

Sourabh

Laptoping
Decide on the laptop from the running deals on various deal forums & shopping websites, and then someone can help you with the order and using those coupons.

If you're going for a laptop from buy.com, bestbuy, CC, Staples, etc. they don't usually have coupons. Laptop coupons come handy when you buy from the brands directly (BTO configuration), especially for Dell Inspiron/XPS laptops, HP Pavilions and ThinkPads. Let us know what you are looking for and we'd be able to suggest you a good deal for it.

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
I'm planning to go for the following configuration:
Intel Core2 Duo 2.0 GHZ
3 GB RAM
250 GB HDD
Webcam
15" wide Screen

Preferred brand is HP and budget is around $750 Max.
Dell is also ok.

Sourabh

Laptoping
Okay, I would recommend this particular Dell Studio 15 deal currently.

*configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/co...n&s=dhs&cs=19&kc=features~laptops_great_deals

$799 base config but you can opt for Jet Black lid (save $25) and drop Bluetooth module (additional $20 savings) to bring it to your budget. Otherwise a very good VFM laptop. 2.16GHz T5850; 3GB DDR2; 320GB HDD; Mobility Radeon HD 3450; Fingerprint reader; Backlit Keyboard and other regulars for $754 + $20 shipping. And it is really very glossy (like the general HP Pavilion laptops).

If you configure it over $799, it'd be shipped free. This is one of the better deals right now.

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
Dude I think this is a little over my budget. I think I will not go beyond $650. Preferred brand would be HP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom