Planing to upgrade P4 to AMD

Avengers

Broken In
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: Games - MW3, COD Black Ops, GTA 4, NFS Carbon

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: 9000/- Cannot be extended.

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: Dont know much about this, any help will be appreciated. Thanks

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans:Windows7/XP

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans:Not required have old hard drives, 40gb and 32gb.

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans:Already have a 17" CRT 1280*1024 pixels

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: Keyboard, mouse, cd drive, speakers.

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: About some time next month

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: No, Will be done by assembler.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Punjab will purchase locally.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: Wish to upgrade to amd as I have heard that in my budget it will provide the best gaming experience. Also please mention that what all I have to purchase to upgrade my system. Thanks in advance.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
In 9000/- AMD config isn't possible.
Intel config might be done with G620. I'm not sure about that.
Also your old 32GB, 40GB HDDs are IDE HDD and most of the motherboards, presently don't have IDE connector.

So, you need SATA HDD.

Last edited:

Cilus

laborare est orare
At 9K any decent config is not possible. I'm trying hard to give you a decent config for your budget at the lowest possible price.

Intel Pentium G620 2 3.3k
MSI H61M-P21 (B3) @ 2.8k/Gigabyte GA-H61M-D2H @ 3.2K
CORSAIR 1333 Hz 4GB X 1 DDR3 @ 1.1K
Zotac GT 520 1 GB DDR3 @ 2.77K
InteX/Frontec Cabinet with 450W SMPS @ 1K

Total ~ 11K. Now the problem is with HDD. None of your existing PATA or IDE HDDs will work with the new motherboards as they drop the IDE port in the motherboard. You can try some PCI Addon cards which will provide you IDE socket but for that you need a motherboard with PCI slot. Then your choice should be the Gigabyte board as it is having two PCI slots.

In that case, get the Gigabyte board and This PCI to SATA/IDE addon card.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
About that PCI to SATA/IDE addon card, I should add that those cards may or may not work with your old IDE drive. Chance of working is good, but will totally depend on your luck.

Cilus

laborare est orare
^^ These cards will work for sure, don't confuse it with the cheap SATA to IDE converters which does come with very cheap converter chip. On the other hand, these Adapter cards do have a controller chip for the conversion. In fact, they are not converters, they just use the PCI bandwidth to run the attached components.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Oh! Sorry. You are right. I've confused your suggested PCI to IDE converter with IDE to SATA converter.

OP
A

Avengers

Broken In
In 9000/- AMD config isn't possible.
Intel config might be done with G620. I'm not sure about that.
Also your old 32GB, 40GB HDDs are IDE HDD and most of the motherboards, presently don't have IDE connector.

So, you need SATA HDD.

I have bought this 320 gb hard disk( Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 HD322HJ 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive -Bare Drive ) about 2 years back. And I think it is sata checked this model number through device manager.

Increase your budget to 20k atleast. We can suggest something for you then. 9k just won't cut it.

Sorry bro I donot have that much budget, maximum I can extend it to 11k not more than that :)

At 9K any decent config is not possible. I'm trying hard to give you a decent config for your budget at the lowest possible price.

Intel Pentium G620 2 3.3k
MSI H61M-P21 (B3) @ 2.8k/Gigabyte GA-H61M-D2H @ 3.2K
CORSAIR 1333 Hz 4GB X 1 DDR3 @ 1.1K
Zotac GT 520 1 GB DDR3 @ 2.77K
InteX/Frontec Cabinet with 450W SMPS @ 1K

Total ~ 11K. Now the problem is with HDD. None of your existing PATA or IDE HDDs will work with the new motherboards as they drop the IDE port in the motherboard. You can try some PCI Addon cards which will provide you IDE socket but for that you need a motherboard with PCI slot. Then your choice should be the Gigabyte board as it is having two PCI slots.

In that case, get the Gigabyte board and This PCI to SATA/IDE addon card.

Thanks for your reply but as I have mentioned I think that I am using 320 gb sata disk I have provided the link above for the model number. Please check that and can I play the above mentioned games if I upgrade to above mentioned config? :). I am completely novice in case of knowledge about motherboard, processor etc. :(

OP
A

Avengers

Broken In
Ok an update have increased my budget to 15000 so can anybody now suggest all the accessories and cost of them to build a decent enough gaming pc.

Thanks

Cilus

laborare est orare
With the added money, add a good Graphics card like MSi HD 6670 1GB GDDR5 version @ 5.4K. Also, currenly G630 and G645, small upgrades over the old G620 in clock speed, are available at almost same price. Grab if G645 is available, otherwise G630.

Top Bottom