Pirated Android app uses shame as tool

pauldmps

Banned
Source: Pirated Android app uses shame as tool | Technology | Los Angeles Times

First, pirated music and movies inspired lawsuits. Now, a smartphone app is teaching digital bootleggers a lesson with a high-tech version of a public shaming.

The Android.Walkinwat purports to be a free version of another "Walk and Text" app, which costs $1.54 in the Android market and uses a phone's built-in camera to give you a live feed as you text, at least in theory preventing you from walking into stop signs or into traffic.

The free app, available from unofficial Android app markets, works as a Trojan horse once installed and redirects the pirate to the legitimate app in the Android marketplace and secretly sends the following text message to everyone on the phone's contact list:

"Hey, just downlaoded [sic] a pirated app off the internet, Walk and Text for Android. Im stupid and cheap, it costed [sic] only 1 buck. Don't steal like I did!"

Then, this message pops up to the user: "We really hope you learned something from this. Check your phone bill ;) Oh and dont forget to buy the App from the Market."

Computer security company AVAST Software, based in the Czech Republic, concluded in a blog post that data from the pirated app was sent to a URL of Georgi Tanmazov, chief executive of Incorporate Apps, the developer of Android apps including the legitimate "Walk and Text" app. Rumors were running rampant that the app pilfered personal information including phone numbers and the device's unique identifier.

These rumors were soundly dismissed by Incorporate Apps.

"We are looking into ways of filing a lawsuit against AVAST from CZECH REPUBLIC, company which has a vast interest in spreading fear in favor of their products! We are denied contact to any officials from that company and our calls are being blocked or ignored," a letter on its website said.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
dreatica said:
Lol but this not gonna work for those
who usually have less then 1rs
balance
To install the app you will need GPRS. And mobile companies to have atleast balance of Rs.10 to surf net. Hence a user with 1 re balance wont be able to surf net or download.

So,this trick will work

Lala

Right off the assembly line
Was this a disguised tools?

I have also known the same from some of my local friends.The points is that why there are many phone tools developers which is a menace to the users?Let see more of the products.

To install the app you will need GPRS. And mobile companies to have atleast balance of Rs.10 to surf net. Hence a user with 1 re balance wont be able to surf net or download.

So,this trick will work

there was a time when you need minimum balance of Rs. 5/10 to enjoy internet. Nowadays, an Internet card and less then Rs.1 would do the favor :mrgreen:

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
dreatica said:
there was a time when you need minimum balance of Rs. 5/10 to enjoy internet. Nowadays, an Internet card and less then Rs.1 would do the favor
But for some reason here, even if you put internet card of 98 but have lack of balance...the Internet won't work

OP
pauldmps

pauldmps

Banned
Min. balance required for using GPRS:

1. Vodafone: 10
2. TATA Docomo: 1
3. Airtel: 0 (not sure)

I hope that satisfies this argument.

sameer.pur

The Chosen One
My BSNL 3G connection works even when i have less than 1Rs. balance.
But I am not gonna pirate that.. I am a android developer too! But this was too much... :X

currently my balance is 0 (Airtel ---> for GPRS use only)

fixed.

You misread me, I meant to say this Android Pirate stuff will not work for users like us who use Internet with less then 1rs balance. You quoted me saying you have less then 1rs balance :) I am also using the same way, Airtel-3g only :mrgreen:

PS: read the conversation again :)

Top Bottom