Piracy is Social Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
After thinking about all this controversy regarding rampant piracy, I have come to the conclusion that piracy is not a crime, but social service.

You see, India has Economically rich and backward class people. So those with ample money can easily buy original software, but those with less money cant buy em. They are opressed by the software firms for using pirated software.

But the software pirates help by providing software for less or sometimes free. They are Saviours of the Software-Needy. They are opressed by the firms,Why? Because it causes loss?They can take the loss to be charity for the needy.

So, to all software pirates, all I can say is keep it up. And to all the others, whenever you use pirated software, remember that some pirate has risked being caught so tha you could get it.

So, who says Piracy is a crime, it is social service!!!

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
It's like saying. "Not everybody can afford Taj. So let's loot it for the needy."

Instead you should go to a hotel that's affordable there. Your arguement is correct if Taj is the only hotel in the world and and they are charging high. But that's not the case.

The same is the case of software. If you can't afford some software, you should use Free/Open alternatives, instead of pirating (I hate this word, I'd rather use sharing). There are always alternatives.

Don't use software if it's costly.

Piracy is not social service. As far as the risk is concerned, Drug mafia's take more risk than this, for making drugs available for the needy.

tuxfan

Technomancer
:lol: What a view point! But I don't agree. Piracy harms the software industry and people working in software firms.

You have forgotten one thing here. There are many legally free softwares as well. Almost all paid software has a free alternative and sometimes the free alternative is better. If you can't afford a paid software, why not go for a free one? Have a look at this list *linuxjunkies.org/public/win-gnu-alt.html

I don't want to start a Win vs. Lin debate once again, but for all those who want a legal software and still don't want to spend, Linux (and plethora of free softwares for Linux) is one viable option, especially for Non-profit organisations, religious organisations, government departments, schools, etc.

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
DeSmOnD dAvId said:
So, to all software pirates, all I can say is keep it up. And to all the others, whenever you use pirated software, remember that some pirate has risked being caught so tha you could get it.
And you risk being caught while using pirated software.
What a stup!d viewpoint btw.

praka123

left this forum longback
End of Piracy is Free/Open Source.

Will Piracy goes with e-books also,i mean those new books ported as .pdf or .chm?I saw One site in www from Pakistan's famous University's ftp serving Pirated e-books!cant give the link though!

Huzefa

Journeyman
unique viewpoint !, but a good way to put it. and gr8 reply desertwind .

Anyway there are some software's which I would never buy , but would use it if I can get it from a 'pirate' So there would be no loss to the software developing company as I would never have bought it in the first place . Also these software companies overcharge , ie simply convert dollars into rupees, which can become very expensive considering the difference in US and Indian earnings, Look at autocad it costs lacs whereas in the US $3499 is not too much.

One thing that is bad is that these 'pirates' make tons of money by selling something which was never theirs. What I do is share my stuff , both original and pirated and many of us exchange our software CD's etc. , but I never charge or make money on this.

foreveranuj

Broken In
I'll agree with David, but with a difference. Piracy is not criminal(it hardly ever affects you!) and helping someone with a s/ware that he/she cant afford is not bad at all - its a (near) 'social service'.

How many of us reading this are actually on orginal purchased Operating System anyways? Just a handful, I can well imagine. And I'm no different.

Dont think of Piracy so much. Just get the 'cracks' and install like a Pro. Its good to be selfish(but not self-centered) in Life.

Satissh S

Youngling
What abt pirated movies, songs etc.. Count them in too..
BTW, Lack of understanding is what leads to such a viewpoint.. Why not use FOSS (Free and Open Source Softwares)?
Think of Free as in free speech and not as in free pizza.

godzi_85

In the zone
ya we all know that using pirated software we are not helping the people whoe created it in the first place..
but then again the onus is still with the software creators to price it according to the region they are selling in..
maynot be the best thing to do(when you take in consideration the cost to make these softwares)..
but then i really feel its on the software companies to make cheaper and affordable softwares..
cause piracy is only gonna grow with the increase in the number of comp users..

navjotjsingh

Wise Old Owl
I want to just add here...atleast Software companies should try to make softwares cheaper for individuals...its necessary...sometimes very simple softwares are so expensive...every standard software starts nowdays...from 19$.

So Companies should try Aggressive and competitive prices...this will deter some piracy though.

himtuna

Journeyman
I am proud to say I have pirated winXP.
Got from my friend... no booking charges...no handling charges...no due payments

just freeeeeeee

I don't know who is harmed or where the industry gets sucked by my action.
I was selfish,but not selfish in using those software.
They are meant for public use, development purposes,educational also and I'm doing with full perfection.
Then who has a complaint against me?

I am nowhere. Can you make out I'm one of the person of those millions of people sitting in front a box.

Be selfish.I don't have money to buy a soft that cost s the whole month's salary. I feel great in cracking the software because it's a big achievement for me, I saved money,the advice that mama papa give everyday.
Shall not I try these cracked softwares, and then actually use them.
I mean I can't download the big big software from net, so I buy IT magazines which have free trials in thier regular CD's and DVD's.

Those people who say piracy is unsocial are according to me are either:-
Very rich.
or stupid, as they don't the other way round.
or acting to smart, they follow a policy use pirated software and advice not to use them.

I don't have much time to go and search for the freebies. One name one brand just crack it.

I don't have maney outherwise I would have thought twice to crack it.

kumarmohit

Technomancer
First of all there was no need to double post..
I feel great in cracking the software because it's a big achievement for me, I saved money,the advice that mama papa give everyday.
Meaning that you shall break in a shop to get the HW u require too coz that saves money as well...
I don't know who is harmed or where the industry gets sucked by my action.

Have u ever written a program that git pirated or a site that got defaced if no u'll pherhaps never know where the industry gets sucked

nitish_mythology

OSS Enthusiast!
Throw Micrsoft Out...

I thnk that in a country like India, People should be taught to use Linux from the beg.
In schools Linux can be introduced from jounier classes.Common Man should not consider Linux a hard nut to crack.
More individuals shd come forward towards developing software that can run on Linux.

PIRACY---REALLY BAD..

parthbarot

In the zone
Piracy shld be there OR Open Source shld be there...
if 1 thing is there then only the big software companies will be in control...

though its illigel ,its not bad..as all u learnt big programming languages and softies with piracy...who have bought windows,Visual Studio or .NET or ADOBE Photoshop etc..? tell me? who have bought games like AOE,GTA,etc... ??

so it is good as well as bad.

it is like "A coin has 2 sides"...
sometimes it is useful for someone and bad for someone..

regards,
Parth.

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
GNUrag said:

Billions of people use pirated software. Is it possible to catch all of them?

As said by Desertwind, We sure can use Open source, I am not against it, but, many people dont know about it. For such people, they dont know that they use pirated software if they have em. The software they use is waht they are most familiar with.

BTW, which institutes offer to teach Easy Office, or Open Office.org, etc.?

A person (fresher of course)who learnt Windows at a Computer Institute, will find it difficult to learn Linux. What will such a person do if he is building his own rig and does not have the bucks to buy a original version of windows XP??(No prizes for guessing)

Zaysen

Broken In
I for one fully agree with desmond's story that piracy is not a crime but pirates are really social service Providers just like those giving food to the hungry for free. Consider this! India has the lowest PC penetration in the whole world.Had it not been for software pirates could we all myself included had access to the internet have this discussion and learn so much about computers and the internet.

Microsoft makes profits in excess of 300% on each licensed copies of windows xp sold in india and worldwide. I think Mr Gates instead of giving money for AIDS to cure people who have been themselves immoral in life the same money could be used in bringing down the prices of software for basic home users at least who have not much work at all and use the pc mainly for getting information.To ask a person with a monthly salary of Rs 15k to pay Rs 4k/- for windows and Rs 20k for Office is ridiculous.

My heart and sympathy is fully with the pirates of nehru place and lamington road. Long Live Stubborn pirates in India and elsewhere.

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
DeSmOnD dAvId said:
GNUrag said:

Billions of people use pirated software. Is it possible to catch all of them?
You are not in the US of A, where you can get jailed if your neighbour mere complains about you being in posession of pirated software.

DeSmOnD dAvId said:
I teach GNU/Linux at Mumbai University

DeSmOnD dAvId said:
A person (fresher of course)who learnt Windows at a Computer Institute, will find it difficult to learn Linux.
No, he wont. Read the above comment.

DeSmOnD dAvId said:
What will such a person do if he is building his own rig and does not have the bucks to buy a original version of windows XP??(No prizes for guessing)
He could have stolen the entire preinstalled rig itself from the hardware vendor. Pretty simple isnt it?

Tech&ME

Banned
I would opine that some people think they are too smart but they don't understand what happens to the people who develop or create softwares.

It is not so easy, people work hard and companies spends millions to create easy to use software and at the end of the day some pirate steals it ?

Put yourself in the shoes of a Software Developer and you will feel the pain when you see your software being used FREELY (by Pirating).

There is an old saying "Until and unless you get hurt you can feel the pain"

GNUrag said:
DeSmOnD dAvId wrote:

I teach GNU/Linux at Mumbai University

Can you help in this direction, I run a school myself.

Apollo

"Technologic"
Staff member
DeSmOnD dAvId said:
After thinking about all this controversy regarding rampant piracy, I have come to the conclusion that piracy is not a crime, but social service.
It feels good to laugh! That is what I did after reading this...

I hope and pray that anti-piracy watchdogs don't track you down for spreading such a notion. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom