Pioneer creates 20-layer 500GB Blu-ray disc

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadow2get

In the zone
It's no secret that optical media uses multiple layers to reach higher storage capacities, but Pioneer has taken the concept to a whole new level with its latest Blu-ray disc. It has namely presented the latest results from its research on optical media, which reveals the specifications for an optical disc that can store up to 500GB of data. The researchers have merged 20 separate layers into a single Blu-ray disc and with 25GB capacity per layer it adds up to a total capacity of 500GB.

Earlier the industry presented plans for a 20-layer disc on the market sometime between 2010-2012. The multi-layer method will be compatible with current Blu-ray devices and the previous limitations due to crosstalk between layers have now been resolved, at least at the research stage.

"One of the technical issues addressed was the problem of ‘crosstalk’ between the separate layers of optical media. Due to the close proximity of the layers, data from one layer could interfere with that from another layer. By applying proprietary technology developed for its BD products and by stacking two different thickness of layers alternatively, interlayer crosstalk was reduced, thus further confirming the feasibility of 20-layer optical discs."
500GB Blu-ray Disc now feasible *www.pioneer.eu/images/pixel.gif
A 20-layer optical disc is now viable, following research by our team of engineers at Pioneer HQ, Tokyo. Each layer of the disc can store 25GB of information to provide a mammoth 500GB of storage.

The news follows the International Symposium on Optical Memory (ISOM) and Optical Data Storage, held during July in Hawaii, where Pioneer Corporation presented its research, defining draft specifications for the 500 GB disc.
The ISOM had previously outlined the industry objective of creating a 20-layer disc to be available between 2010-2012.
With its strong support among the gaming, movie and PC industries, Blu-ray has become the de facto next generation storage system. While Blu-ray discs (BD), offering both 25GB and 50BG, are sufficient for current demands, we see the need for a technology that can support far greater capacities as HD streaming in particular becomes commonplace and users build larger files of digital content.

The multi-layered method is compatible with Blu-ray devices providing a long term future for the technology and is more easily produced when compared to competing technologies such as holographic storage.

One of the technical issues addressed was the problem of ‘crosstalk’ between the separate layers of optical media. Due to the close proximity of the layers, data from one layer could interfere with that from another layer. By applying proprietary technology developed for its BD products and by stacking two different thickness of layers alternatively, interlayer crosstalk was reduced, thus further confirming the feasibility of 20-layer optical discs.
Source
Official Site

BBThumbHealer

BlackBerry Guru ! :)
I think they were earlier developing a single layer disc of capacity 400 GB .... now this news comes as another shocker !

Whats the damn point ? I can make next a 100 layer disc. Similarly, connecting HDDs in RAID, I can get a 1EB disc. Its nothing special. Do the BD writers many people bought support this format ? NO. Then why show off ?

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
Whats the damn point ? I can make next a 100 layer disc. Similarly, connecting HDDs in RAID, I can get a 1EB disc. Its nothing special. Do the BD writers many people bought support this format ? NO. Then why show off ?
Why are you getting all worked up anyway? It's not as if they took the money from your bank account to make that disc, is it? *s269.photobucket.com/albums/jj44/visio159/Unismilies/35.png

naveen_reloaded

!! RecuZant By Birth !!
500 GB ?? man thats awesome...

now someone could start seeling a 2160i or sy 4320p/i movies and give them in these 500 GB ... bluray disc... and i think still they will have more space on the disc...

wait my lcd supports only upto 1080 p .... wht a shame !!!

anyway .. nice to hear the news...

at last getting a ps3 has turned out to be a good desicion

Why are you getting all worked up anyway? It's not as if they took the money from your bank account to make that disc, is it? *s269.photobucket.com/albums/jj44/visio159/Unismilies/35.png
I just said what they have done is not something to get all exited and speculative about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom