Pioneer claims 400GB, Blu-ray-like disc

Status
Not open for further replies.

soumya

In the zone
*i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/bto/20080707/Pioneer16-layerdisc_270x202.jpg

Got a big archiving project you've been itching to do? Pioneer's latest development could help you keep all your data in one nice, little circular package.

The Japanese electronics maker has been working on an optical disc, which, like Blu-ray, can store 25GB of data in a single layer. But Pioneer says it's one-upped the high-definition format to the sixteenth degree. The company announced today that it has a single disc that contains 16 layers of storage, at 25GB each. That adds up to 400GB of data capable of being stored on a single disc.

Full article @ *crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9984811-1.html?tag=nefd.riv

goobimama

 Macboy
I think we need a little more proof than that. They have promised a lot of this stuff in the past. Although, as of now Blu ray seems mighty enough! Maybe in another 5 years... :)

Shikha964

Banned
400GB optical disc invented by Pioneer

*i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn271/KingPhatal/Pioneer16-layerdisc_270x202.jpg

Got a big archiving project you’ve been itching to do? Pioneer’s latest development could help you keep all your data in one nice, little circular package. The Japanese electronics maker has been working on an optical disc, which, like Blu-ray, can store 25GB of data in a single layer. But Pioneer says it’s one-upped the high-definition format to the sixteenth degree. The company announced today that it has a single disc that contains 16 layers of storage, at 25GB each. That adds up to 400GB of data capable of being stored on a single disc.

Blu-ray comes in single layer (25GB) and dual-layer (50GB) flavors. Pioneer does say that because the lens specification for reading the discs is similar to Blu-ray, “it is possible to maintain compatibility” between its disc and Blu-ray discs. That’s not saying it will be compatible, but it would make sense since Pioneer is one of the original Blu-ray Disc Association members. However, plans for that archiving project will have to be put on pause if you want to use this technology. Pioneer is going to demonstrate it at an industry conference next week, but for now the disc is read-only. Eventually, they’ll add write capability as well.

ThinkFree

Technomancer
Re: 400GB optical disc invented by Pioneer

At present blu ray writers are out of reach of common man, it would take at least 5 years before masses would be getting access to it.

Pat

Beyond Smart
Re: 400GB optical disc invented by Pioneer

At present blu ray writers are out of reach of common man, it would take at least 5 years before masses would be getting access to it.

Yea right..And it will probably take 5 years to burn one disk :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom