Phenom II X4 + HD 6850 and a high pitched sound issue

maxtor

Journeyman
I have PHENOM II X4 and HD 6850 graphics card. The issue I have is that with the onset of summer the fan makes too much noise, like a smaller version of an airplane taking off - a very high pitched sound. It is difficult to sit anywhere in the room where my computer is kept and the high pitched sound can be heard all over the house.

This happens when not playing games. Obviously the card and fan are running all the time.

Is it possible to switch off the card through the system OR is it better to take off the card and put it back only when playing a game?

If you know the solution through the system please describe it a bit in detail because I am not too good at this.

If there is no solution will taking off the graphics card have any effect on the system other than not good playing games on it.

OP
M

maxtor

Journeyman
Had done that but no respite. If I remove the card if I want to use the PC for work and put it only when playing games will it affect the working of the PC in any way, except that I shouldn't play high res games?

Had done that but no respite. If I remove the card if I want to use the PC for work and put it only when playing games will it affect the working of the PC in any way, except that I shouldn't play high res games?
That's a stupid idea. You'll be shutting down the PC, removing the crad, then start the pc, install drivers adn re do this everytime. Give is for service if it is under warranty.

OP
M

maxtor

Journeyman
TYou'll be shutting down the PC, removing the crad, then start the pc, install drivers adn re do this everytime.

o I don't want to use the graphics card for a while, play games only once a month.

Can someone help me with the steps please - not tech savvy but just give me the steps briefly and will do myself.

o I don't want to use the graphics card for a while, play games only once a month.

Can someone help me with the steps please - not tech savvy but just give me the steps briefly and will do myself.

> open the cabinet.
> Unscrew the graphic card from the back slots.
> Pull the jack on the pcie slot.
> Pull out the gpu.
> Turn on the pc and install drivers for IGP.
> Enjoy.

Please watch a video on youtube displaying how to remove a graphic card to avoid damaging it.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

use sapphire trixx and make a custom fan profile and also make sure you cpu/gpu is not overheating and the noise is not coming from the cpu fan.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
i am pretty sure it's the cpu....amd stock cooler's are very noisy...over the years its unbearable

I've not seen any noise issue with Athlon II cpu cooler fans but Phenom II cpu cooler fans makes lots of noise even if it's running at 5k+ RPM ... audible even if you use a headphone but normally cpu fans rotates at a much lesser speed so at idle condition Op should not at-least face such noise issue unless the cpu cooler fan is not clean, the grease inside dried out or the cpu is overheating.

OP
M

maxtor

Journeyman
I've not seen any noise issue with Athlon II cpu cooler fans but Phenom II cpu cooler fans makes lots of noise even if it's running at 5k+ RPM ... audible even if you use a headphone but normally cpu fans rotates at a much lesser speed so at idle condition Op should not at-least face such noise issue unless the cpu cooler fan is not clean, the grease inside dried out or the cpu is overheating.
Thanks for all your responses.

How do I dry out grease? What is the best way to check overheating and rectify it?

OP
M

maxtor

Journeyman
Here is my box, I see 2 fans. The smaller fan that you see in the centre, I can't see any screws - how is it fitted on?
chassis.jpg
Previously I had only dusted them with a cloth but I saw a YT video in which the guy unscrewed the fan to clean it thoroughly. I want to do the same.

I figured out that the huge noise is coming from the smaller fan.

Also after running hwinfo the max CPU temperature is 61.3 degrees C. Does it indicate overheating?

Last edited:
Here is my box, I see 2 fans. The smaller fan that you see in the centre, I can't see any screws - how is it fitted on?
Previously I had only dusted them with a cloth but I saw a YT video in which the guy unscrewed the fan to clean it thoroughly. I want to do the same.

I figured out that the huge noise is coming from the smaller fan.

Also after running hwinfo the max CPU temperature is 61.3 degrees C. Does it indicate overheating?

> The smaller fan is the CPU cooler's fan. To remove it for cleaning, you'll have to first remove the whole cooler (heatsnk + fan), then the fan cen be detached from the heatsink. But be informed, doing so will spoin the currently applied thermal paste on the CPU and you'll have to clean it and apply a fresh thermal paste.

> When did you take the temperature readings? Post a screenshot of HwInfo running while no activity on pc and then while some game or other heavy stuff.

> And please clean your pc. I can see the remains of a dust storm there.

OP
M

maxtor

Journeyman
> The smaller fan is the CPU cooler's fan. To remove it for cleaning, you'll have to first remove the whole cooler (heatsnk + fan), then the fan cen be detached from the heatsink. But be informed, doing so will spoin the currently applied thermal paste on the CPU and you'll have to clean it and apply a fresh thermal paste.

That's a good point about thermal paste. Which one should I get, usually ordering through ebay.

Yep, need to to some thorough cleaning, the tons of dust comes because I live next to a potholed dusty road in posh south Delhi!

I've heard of, used and praise of Arctic Silver 5. If you're getting it from ebay, them make sure its seal packed. Someone may pall a used syringe.

OP
M

maxtor

Journeyman
I have located a top seller on ebay who sells Arctic 5 - top sellers are very mindful of their feedback score.

I was also reminded of a time 6-7 months ago when my PSU conked off, all of a sudden. I got it fixed by a power guy in Nehru Place who warned me that it will go bad again 'next year'. He told me about some defect in the air flow in these type of cabinets like the one I have.

So should I look at changing over to a new PSU...or maybe put an external cooling fan- don't mind an extra expense and I'll also get fans etc cleaned by some one in Nehru Place, a go-to place for me actually. My PC has a lot work value, so it's indispensable. I do backup regularly but I need it to work. Your suggestion?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
if you don't mind the cost get a CM Hyper 212 Evo cpu cooler .. this should get you rid off all kind of heating and noise issues. Next buy a good cabinet like Corsair 400R/500R and for a good PSu get a corsair GS600 .. all of them should cost you around 11-13k.

OP
M

maxtor

Journeyman
if you don't mind the cost get a CM Hyper 212 Evo cpu cooler .. this should get you rid off all kind of heating and noise issues. Next buy a good cabinet like Corsair 400R/500R and for a good PSu get a corsair GS600 .. all of them should cost you around 11-13k.

Fantastic stuff, I must say! But is there a slightly cheaper alternative, or maybe I'll just put the cooler in first. Also is it easy to instal it?

Fantastic stuff, I must say! But is there a slightly cheaper alternative, or maybe I'll just put the cooler in first. Also is it easy to instal it?

> Get the cabinet first. Then get the cooler.
> Try a fresh application of TIM before making any purchases.

Top Bottom