Phenom II OverClocking Essentials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are a set of guidelines on how you go about overclocking AMD Phenom II CPUs.

OverClocking Tutorials/Guides/Tips:

*www.techreaction.net/2009/05/28/phenom-ii-am3-overclocking-essentials/

*www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=3771025&postcount=240

*www.overclock.net/amd-cpus/506756-phenom-ii-steppings-max-oc.html

Reviews:

Phenom II X4 955 BE *www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/pii955/

Misc:

5GHz on Dry Ice Cooling *www.youtube.com/watch?v=et-x2wygDAc

@All interested Digitians:
Post more guides if you can because this is a relatively new concept.

Last edited:

Krow

Crowman
Great article. Sure does help AMDistas like myself. The most ive overclocked in my life(The only time), Ive taken my frnd's C2D 2.66 to 2.8 GHz just by upping some option from 266 to 280. I'll try overcocking my soon to arrive 940 BE and let u all knw. I need some luck! Can ne1 suggest any software to chk my CPU temp?

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
ocing is not over by increasing the speed of processor. You need to run stability test for atleast one night and see if the system doesn't reboot. If it reboots, you need to reduce the clock/multiplier.

j1n M@tt

Cyborg Agent
^^y can't u make this an overclocking thread for all CPUs instead of Phenom alone, or I will start if everyone is interested :D

^^y can't u make this an overclocking thread for all CPUs instead of Phenom alone, or I will start if everyone is interested :D
Thats because overclocking Core2 CPUs is a common knowledge since Intel overclocking is an old concept. And Core i7 is enthusiast-only so it won't make much of a difference whether I add its guide or not.

Phenom II on the other hand, is something new and has lots of untapped potential. It is quite weird because on stock voltage it crosses 4GHz mark when you take its temperature below 0C.

And as for making a general guide, you are welcome to add a post for that which I can merge into first post and change thread title.

Anyway, I and several others are pushing for an overclocking forum within the hardware troubleshooting section or within across the board section. Once that comes up, we can have seperate stickies for Intel Core2 overclocking, AMD Athlon 64 overclocking, AMD Phenom overclocking, AMD Phenom II and Athlon II overclocking, Intel Core i5/i7 overclocking, etc.

Anyway, due to this I would advice you to start off with a post here, which I can later convert into a sticky.

j1n M@tt

Cyborg Agent
hmm..I'm waiting for the new O.C'ing section :)

btw Oc'ing C2 CPU is not as simple if u want to reach a remarkable point...one will hav to know his mobo tweakings like the back of his palm, and behaviors of the mobo and CPU like vdroop and all...which varies even from each piece among the same model itself.

hmm..I'm waiting for the new O.C'ing section :)

btw Oc'ing C2 CPU is not as simple if u want to reach a remarkable point...one will hav to know his mobo tweakings like the back of his palm, and behaviors of the mobo and CPU like vdroop and all...which varies even from each piece among the same model itself.
Then what are you waiting for ? Edit this post of yours into a total Intel OC guide :razz:

I will be more than happy to merge it into the main post.

j1n M@tt

Cyborg Agent
I think its better to wait for the new section and for the new TDF server...In the new section we can create a thread for posting overclocking benchmarks and screenshots....which will be pathetic in this present situation in TDF.

I think its better to wait for the new section and for the new TDF server...In the new section we can create a thread for posting overclocking benchmarks and screenshots....which will be pathetic in this present situation in TDF.
Procrastination kills progress.
If you want weight for the new section, start NOW.
Otherwise it might not even arrive.

Overclocking at the begening of TDF was niche because Pentium 4's and Pentium III's were not overclocked often and nor were Athlon XPs. People used to pay a couple of thousands extra to get a CPU which was faster by 100MHz. Today things are different. CPUs have much headroom for overclocking than before. So unless ppl take interest to prove this, I doubt you will find an admin agreeing to start an overclocking section.

Krow

Crowman
Okay, so ive begun OCing my 940BE. I'm on stock HSF, so I'm pretty jittery. All I did was to change the CPU Clock Freq from 200 to 201 MHz. The multiplier is set to 16. I considered going to 14 and upping the CPU Freq, but I thought I'd test this first. Can sm1 please guide me better? I'm also planning on getting an aftermarket HSF. Are the stock AMD ones good for a minor OC(3.2GHz)? At the most I may go to 3.4 or so... Nt sure.

ATM I'm @ 3216 MHz. Where hould I stop? I'm running Prime95 now before I sleep and I'll chk it 2mrw morning. BTW Ive kept the System Voltages to AUTO as I dont have much of a clue regarding them.

Krow

Crowman
Here r some prime95 results. The electricity went in the night, but neways, I'm posting whatever was done!

[Sat Jun 06 00:26:53 2009]
Self-test 1024K passed!
Self-test 1024K passed!
Self-test 1024K passed!
Self-test 1024K passed!
[Sat Jun 06 00:43:17 2009]
Self-test 896K passed!
Self-test 896K passed!
Self-test 896K passed!
Self-test 896K passed!
[Sat Jun 06 00:59:35 2009]
Self-test 768K passed!
Self-test 768K passed!
Self-test 768K passed!
Self-test 768K passed!
[Sat Jun 06 01:15:18 2009]
Self-test 640K passed!
Self-test 640K passed!
Self-test 640K passed!
Self-test 640K passed!
[Sat Jun 06 01:30:55 2009]
Self-test 512K passed!
Self-test 512K passed!
Self-test 512K passed!
Self-test 512K passed!
[Sat Jun 06 01:47:16 2009]
Self-test 448K passed!
Self-test 448K passed!
Self-test 448K passed!
Self-test 448K passed!
[Sat Jun 06 02:03:08 2009]
Self-test 384K passed!
Self-test 384K passed!
Self-test 384K passed!
Self-test 384K passed!
[Sat Jun 06 02:18:49 2009]
Self-test 320K passed!
Self-test 320K passed!
Self-test 320K passed!
Self-test 320K passed!

Speed fan says:

Temp1 45
Temp2 32
Temp3 48
HD0 39
HD1 36
Core 47

There's a tick mark in front of Core, Temp1 & Temp3, while there's a blue down arrow in front of HD0, HD1 and Temp2. Can ne1 explain?

Is this any good? C'mon guys! At least some1 reply!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom