PC suddenly powering down

jerrin_ss5

Never give up!!
hey guys i am facing a strange problem whenever i try to boot my PC it starts up normally and starts the normal work but after some time (times are random)it powers down automatically and this happens again and again.
After repeated attempts say about 10-15 times of this phenomenon my PC starts to work properly
My cabinet is properly dusted so chances of moisture formation is very low...
Any solutions to the problem please help !!

v2kisad

Broken In
Which OS are you using? Try booting up in Safe Mode and see if you face the same problem.If it works fine in Safe Mode then it could be a startup Program or Driver issue.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ jerrin_ss5 - sometimes due to improper memory voltage this thing happens - can you post the mem voltage set under bios.

OP
jerrin_ss5

jerrin_ss5

Never give up!!
@v2kisad - i am running windows 7 and i tried to boot it in safe mode but still the problem exists infact this phenomenon happens even when i am in bios

@topgear - i am not sure how to get mem voltage its set to default under bios i have posted the h/w monitor pic if this helps
*img838.imageshack.us/img838/1931/64644162.jpg
[/URL]

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Enable logger in your OS & then see Event Viewer what exacty happens before computer gets restarted automatically. (this trick will work only if your problem happens due to some software malfunction)

And in your cupid screenshot, everything looks ok to me.

saswat23

Human Spambot
I too had this type of problem with my old rig. After checking found out that the PSU was the culprit. Gave it for repairing, after that my PC worked fine.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ jerrin_ss5 - from the pic you have posted I can see that the +12V rail power is too low only 8.03V which should be at-least around ~ 11.80v but sometime HWmonitor can show wrong volt info ( I've seen this type of issues ).

Your memory voltage is 1.84V ( showing ) so it must be at 1.8V under bios setting - set the mem/dram voltage to 1.9v under bios setting and post back the results.

v2kisad

Broken In
Its got to be a hardware issue if its happening even if your in BIOS.
How long have you been facing this problem? Was it ever working fine,if yes,then what has changed in your computer since then?

OP
jerrin_ss5

jerrin_ss5

Never give up!!
@topgear - i checked under bios but mem voltage starts from 2.0v .
@v2kisad - it started about 3 days ago the only change was that my UPS had stopped working a month before as it was very old so i had connected the spike guard directly to mains but i checked the mains for grounding and it was all properly connected.
@saswat23 - even if PSU problem is there how come it starts to work after certain retries.
its as if my PC is having starting problem like in a car... :)
Oh and i forgot to mention i had an old PSU an unbranded one i had connected that to confirm whether its working fine under that and it did'nt even powered up with that PSU, this PSU was working fine under my friends machine about two months ago..

Also i checked the bios for voltage under 12v and this is what i got...
*img43.imageshack.us/img43/4091/28082011596.jpg
is the above voltage good for 12v rail ?

Last edited:

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
all voltages look ok.

BTW, have you undervolted your processor? cause usually even when cool&quite is on, at idle most AMD AthlonII/Phenom II proccy takes about 1.2V. yours is taking 1V

do 1 thing. run CPU_Z & keep the CPU idle. note the minimum Vcore and tell us. i doubt HW Monitor. something doesn't looks right.

OP
jerrin_ss5

jerrin_ss5

Never give up!!
*img823.imageshack.us/img823/262/10634325.jpg
@sam - i have'nt changed any of the voltage settings in bios everything is set to default
and also i noticed that vcore voltage went upto 1.2v at load
is there any problem if vcore is below 1.2v?

also according to amd's website my voltage range is about 0.875-1.425V
*products.amd.com/(S(eec4wdac2hipilujjtyllmqv))/pages/DesktopCPUDetail.aspx?id=526

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ set the cpu vcore to 1.3v under bios setting and use a better quality spike guard from Belkin or APC ;-)

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
@sam - i have'nt changed any of the voltage settings in bios everything is set to default
and also i noticed that vcore voltage went upto 1.2v at load
is there any problem if vcore is below 1.2v?

most likely, the cause of the problem. my system runs fine at 1.2V but start a game & you'll end up in a restart. and its strange that your system uses lower voltage than what is usually used without even touching anything.

Tech&ME

Banned
@jerrin_ss5

I will suggest you do the following:

1. Pull out the Processor and then put it back, re-apply the thermal paste.

2. Check the Cabinet Power Button. Look for loose connection. (You may have to remove the front plastic cover of your cabinet for this. )

Please revert back.

OP
jerrin_ss5

jerrin_ss5

Never give up!!
@topgear - should i increase the vcore and if so how to and will it do damage to my pc
@sam - my pc starts to work normally after certain retries and then if i play anything it handles without any problem. The problem resurfaces only when i leave my pc switched off for the whole night and try to power up in the morning does this problem occurs.
@Tech@ME - i will check the cabinet power button for loose connection and let you know but if my cabinet power button is at fault
but how come it gives problem only when my PC is unused for long time i mean it does'nt give problems when it starts to run properly
as for CPU should i remove it cause the temp of it is already within the threshold!

Tech&ME

Banned
^^
1. Yes! you should remove your Processor and re-apply the thermal paste. Even if the temp shown by BIOS seems to be ok.

2. After looking at your above post, I will suggest you to remove your graphics card and use the onboard vga and see if the problem persist or not.

3. Sometimes Graphics Cards tends to cause such shutdown problems.

Please revert back.

OP
jerrin_ss5

jerrin_ss5

Never give up!!
@tech&ME - i will try and revert you back mostly by tomorrow cause my PC has returned to its normal working state now.

pmoff

Broken In
Hi, I was facing the same problem in my old PC. It happened that the memory was faulty, After it is replaced it worked fine.
May be you can check with a different memory stick.

OP
jerrin_ss5

jerrin_ss5

Never give up!!
Hi, I was facing the same problem in my old PC. It happened that the memory was faulty, After it is replaced it worked fine.
May be you can check with a different memory stick.
ya even i had the initial doubt about that i ran memtest to verify and it came out clean

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@topgear - should i increase the vcore and if so how to and will it do damage to my pc
@sam - my pc starts to work normally after certain retries and then if i play anything it handles without any problem. The problem resurfaces only when i leave my pc switched off for the whole night and try to power up in the morning does this problem occurs.
@Tech@ME - i will check the cabinet power button for loose connection and let you know but if my cabinet power button is at fault
but how come it gives problem only when my PC is unused for long time i mean it does'nt give problems when it starts to run properly
as for CPU should i remove it cause the temp of it is already within the threshold!

To increase vcore you'll need to do this from bios settings - read the manual carefully and you'll know where the option for increasing cpu/vcore volatile is located under bios setting - a 1.3v cpu vcore won't do any harm to any components in your pc and it's completely safe ;-)

Top Bottom