PC not turning on after abrupt shutdown

darkv0id

Journeyman
So, yesterday I was just surfing the net on my PC when it shut down abruptly, just like in case of a power cut. The monitor and speakers, however, stayed on And the PC isn't turning on since then. I can't hear any "beep" either. A few times the lights turned on a for second before they turned off, and sometimes not even that. My PC is a month old build, and here are it's specs:-

Intel i5 2400
Corsair ValueRam 4GB x 1 (1333 Mhz)
GIGABYTE HD 7850 OC Edition
Corsair GS600
GIGABYTE H61M-D2H
Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB
Samsung DVDRW
CoolerMaster Elite 310
Microtek 800W UPS

P.S. One of my friends suggested that I might have "fried" my PC due to the 4-5 hours of gaming (AC 2, GTA 4) that I have been doing for the past month. Please do confirm my belief that his suggestion was, um, incorrect.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Either Motherboard or PSU problem.
BTW, can you see any onboard LED being lit after switching on the PSU?

kisame

King of Heroes
So, yesterday I was just surfing the net on my PC when it shut down abruptly, just like in case of a power cut. The monitor and speakers, however, stayed on And the PC isn't turning on since then. I can't hear any "beep" either. A few times the lights turned on a for second before they turned off, and sometimes not even that. My PC is a month old build, and here are it's specs:-
Intel i5 2400
Corsair ValueRam 4GB x 1 (1333 Mhz)
GIGABYTE HD 7850 OC Edition
Corsair GS600
GIGABYTE H61M-D2H
Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB
Samsung DVDRW
CoolerMaster Elite 310
Microtek 800W UPS
P.S. One of my friends suggested that I might have "fried" my PC due to the 4-5 hours of gaming (AC 2, GTA 4) that I have been doing for the past month. Please do confirm my belief that his suggestion was, um, incorrect.
Gaming won't 'fry' your pc.Your friend's suggestion is incorrect.

Hrishi

What about the FANS connected to the Motherboard , if any ? DO they turn up ?

Btw, this may seem a little weird but can you try to remove and re-insert the CMOS cell from motherboard.

I had a similar situation with my PC's Mother Board an year ago.When I took it to repair shop , they said the motherboard got fried due to insertion of a Dedicated GPU with just 200 watt smps. :(

These days , I don't have a Backup power supply so very often I face such an issue , it simply won't boot-up after sudden power loss.

OP
darkv0id

darkv0id

Journeyman
^ Nope, no lights, no fans turning on in either mobo, PSU or GPU. Essentially, no electrical activity. And yes, even a friend of mine suggested changing the CMOS cell. Should I go ahed with it or take it for repairs?

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
Correct me if I am wrong, but is there a fuse on GS600 psu socket? Did you check that?

It sound more like your power supply but I am speculating. Go to Kaizen infotech, they will get it checked. If it doesn't work they will RMA the drive.

In the meanwhile, disconnect your SATA drives and see if it boot or not, just to be sure.

OP
darkv0id

darkv0id

Journeyman
Finally, problem solved :-D. The PSU was the culprit. I gave the GS600 for RMA and got a new one delivered in 4 days (the newest edition, I think).

But still, I'm interested in knowing why my PSU died in the first place. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that supposed to happen during power-intensive tasks, like gaming maybe? But I was just surfing the net with only a couple of tabs open when my PSU died.

Not complaining, but is there any plausible explanation?:-?

Last edited:

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Voltage surge perhaps ? The PSUs have an inbuilt Fuse that automatically breaks when there is an immediate surge in voltage.. Maybe the fuse broke and hence your predicament..

Last week due to a damn powersurge, My Laptop's motherboard fried.. What actually should have happened is that the fuse on my laptop's power brick should have broke, but the damn repair man put a normal wire inside my charger instead of a fuse wire when i got it repaired last year because of which my laptop fried now :(

For me repair cost is 8K, but i convinced my parents to buy a new pc for me ;)

OP
darkv0id

darkv0id

Journeyman
^ Well, I'm a n00b when it comes to electronic circuitry, but I was wondering- shouldn't my UPS protect the PSU from voltage surges? Because if not then it means that my PSU is grave-bound whenever there is a voltage surge. :shock:

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Finally, problem solved :-D. The PSU was the culprit. I gave the GS600 for RMA and got a new one delivered in 4 days (the newest edition, I think).

What do you mean by newest edition. Is there any 80+ bronze certification logo?

OP
darkv0id

darkv0id

Journeyman
The 80+ bronze certification is there. By newest edition I was referring to physical design changes.

EDIT: Apologies, I forgot to mention that the required amperage has been changed. While the earlier model had input current rating of 8-12 A, the newer one requires 4-8 A.

Last edited:
Top Bottom