PC not booting up... Need help!!

confused

Evolving Rapidly...
Hi guys,

I have a 2 and a half year old desktop that I had asseembled myself. Its been over a year now that I have been busy with my acads and havent been able to tinker around with it much and hence have forgotten all my troubleshooting skills, would be very grateful if someone could help me out here.

I last used my PC a month back during when it was working fine. After that my dad disconnected the PC and moved it around the room while cleaning.

Now, after reconnecting, the PC gives no display. The POST code on the mobo is FF(=boot). Also usually, when the PC powers up there is a beep, until when the fans run at fun speed then slows down after the beep. But now the fun just runs at full speed without giving any display.

I opened up the case, and it was very, very dusty inside. Cleaned the GPU slightly. Also removed the RAM and all the SATA and power cables and then put everything back. But now again there is no display, and secondly there is a long continuous beep now instead. have no idea whats going on!! Is the GPU gone for good?:shock:

Really stuck here, any help appreciated.

Config:
EVGA nforce 750i FTW, Intel Q9450, EVGA gforce 9800GT, Corsair 4 GB DDR2, Corsair TX750

Last edited:

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Weird. FF = Boot. So it is not booting it seems. Try to reset the VGA. Pull it out and blow hard on the dock, and reseat firmly. Reset the CMOS too. Remove the PSU cable from the back, press the chassis on/off for 10-12 seconds, remove the CMOS battery for 30 seconds. Try.

OP
confused

confused

Evolving Rapidly...
Weird. FF = Boot. So it is not booting it seems. Try to reset the VGA. Pull it out and blow hard on the dock, and reseat firmly. Reset the CMOS too. Remove the PSU cable from the back, press the chassis on/off for 10-12 seconds, remove the CMOS battery for 30 seconds. Try.
dude you're a life saver. the CMOS resetting probably did the trick. thanks a ton.:mrgreen:

Anyways, my windows is acting up now. First it showed a recovery option saying that some hardware had changed since last boot. When I still persisted with the startup I met with a BSOD. Finally got it working right now in the safe mode.

check the RAM. The RAM modules may be inserted incorrectly, giving those long beeps.
thanks for the suggestion, it was properly seated though.
Btw just in case someone else has the same problem - I did read some place else that a long beep usually indicates a display problem, mostly that the GPU fan isnt spinning.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
there should not be any kind of BSOD if the gfx card and ram modules are seated properly and the bios settings are proper- confirm those and do a clean install of windows and install all updated drivers and see what happens.

Gollum

Collector
A bsod normally gives an error code. Check out the code online and you will know what is causing the problem and bringing up the blue screen.

Top Bottom