PC hangs when inserting CD's

Status
Not open for further replies.

lahratla

Journeyman
My system is made up of:
VIA C3 667MHz CPU with 40GB HD and 256 RAM using WinXP SP2. When inserting some cd's, which I believed to be damaged, my PC always hangs. The problem stops only after removing the cd's. Moreover, while viewing Windows Explorer etc. the mouse hangs frequently. Please help.

tuxfan

Technomancer
As you say the CDs are damaged, this is bound to happen. What you can do is keep the shift key pressed while inserting those CDs. That will prevent them from auto-running. Or still better, disable auto-run completely and save some system resources ;) :)

cvvikram

MVP in VC++
Yaa...Tuxfan is right...diable the Autorun feature.and try to navigate manually....You can't expect much from u r processor....for XP.The OS maybe slow booting or runing application..

expertno.1

Technomancer
tis ahppens when the os is unable to read the cd and it keeps on reading it for a long time and causing your pc to hang

q3_abhi

Youngling
CD's without Autorun also make my machine hang on my older CD ROM in XP!!! Not in 98!!! Why so???

tuxfan

Technomancer
Right click on my Computer > Properties > Device Manager > CD-ROM > Properties.

Search a little here, you will surely find where to disable auto-insert notification

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom