PC for pure number-crunching [gene decoding] and statistical modelling

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run?
Ans: Pure number crunching. Gene decoding. Statistical modelling.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: Around 50K. Will finalize budget after talking to the person who wants this to be made.

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: No.

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Win7 x64 and/or Linux.

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: >1TB

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want.
Ans: Yes. 22" 720p. Exclude monitor price from the above budget.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: Keyboard, Mouse, Soundboxes.

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: in the next two months. Need loads of planning and fine tuning before going in.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Yes. Will assemble myself.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Kolkata. Will try procuring from Chandni first and then move to online shops.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: These:
· System will run for extended periods of time. Proper cooling will be necessary.
· Possible use of XFire/SLI to speed up parallel computing tasks. As I said, LOTS of data needs to computed during gene decoding/statistical modelling.
· Not for gaming. Occasional movies, maybe.
· Multi-monitor not needed.
· UPS will be needed.
· Will update the above info from time to time.

Cilus

laborare est orare
What Sumon has suggested, let me explained a little bit. All the applications you have mentioned need huge Integer Processing capabilities along with newer instruction set supports. Also overclocking (although you are not planning for it, it is extremely easy with AMD FX series unlocked processors, there are plenty of Windows based tools available for it, you don't need to touch anything in BIOS) can increase the performance dramatically. I am a FX 8150 owner and have performed different type of tweaking and testing with my processor and believe me, the performance gain is extremely high. With a mild 4.2/4.3 GHz overclocking by using AMD Overdrive tool and not touching the BIOS, I was able to reach the performance of SandyBridge-E Core i7 3960X 6 Core Extreme Edition processor in AIDA64 Extreme Benchmarks, specially in AES and CPU Hash performance.

Here goes your config:-

AMD FX 8150 (3.6 GHz 4.2 GHz Turbo Core, 8 Core, 8MB L2, 8MB L3) @ 11.4K
Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 @ 9.5K
Corsair Vengeance Red 4GB X 2 PC3 17000 2133MHz @ 4.3K
WD Caviar Green WD10EARX 1 TB ( Sata III 6 Gbps, 64MB Cache) @ 4.2K
Seasonic S12II 520W PSU @ 4.3K
Cooler Master Elite 361 @ 2.4K
Gigabyte HD 7850 2GB OC @ 13.8K

Total: 49.9K

OP
anirbandd

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
okay... but i havent done OC before, and wouldnt be taking any risk coz its for someone else.

and what about the cooling remedies??
· System will run for extended periods of time. Proper cooling will be necessary.
and this:
UPS will be needed.

Cilus

laborare est orare
AMD stock cooler is enough to handle it up to 4 to 4.2 GHz. For UPS, get APC 700va around 3.5K.

Myth

Cyborg Agent
If OP doesnt want to game, why the 7850 ?
Even a 7770 would have been sufficient. 5k saved :|

Last edited:
OP
anirbandd

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
correct me if i am wrong, if gfx card is not need for offloading calculation to the GPU, shouldnt i just go for a less powerful one? just to remove graphics load from the already loaded proccy? that is IF the proccy has onboard gfx.

Sup

Broken In
I assume all your apps would almost completely rely on the gpu ?

radeon 7950 - 25k
corsair 8gb 4*2 - 2k
fx8150 -12k
ASUS M5A78L Motherboard - 3k
seasonic 520w - 5k
hard disk - 5k

total 52k

Mail to the support of your apps, you can probably skimp on the cpu and get a ssd also.

Last edited:
OP
anirbandd

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
friend hasnt told me about the kind of s/w he will be using. so cant tell if gpu processing is supported. i will talk to him and update that shortly.

Top Bottom