PC for Photoshop at 25k!

OP
N

nokia6600

Broken In
We chose Corsair Value RAM 4GB 1333mhz, can it take full advantage of this board? Replace with higher mhz or it'll do just fine? I'm happy about everything except for one thing, if I could spend this extra money on a processor I could easily have bought 1055T/1075T with cheaper AM3 boards, right? Suggestions for RAM are welcome and mention a few after market coolers for this combo please...

Minion

Conversation Architect
skipping on motherboard is not wise get a good mobo Amd phemon 960T is good enough.for ram you can get G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3 4 GB
See link
G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3 4 GB (1 x 4 GB) PC RAM (F3-12800CL9S-4GBXL) | Ram | Flipkart.com

OP
N

nokia6600

Broken In
If that's the case here's the final specs
960T
970A UD3
Samsung 20' LED
WD Caviar Blue 500GB
Seasonic 520w
RipjawsX 4GB
HP/Asus Optical Drive
Basic multimedia KB+Mouse
CM Elite 431
Future upgrades:
RipjawsX 4GB
60GB/120GB SSD (MAYBE)
Aftermarket Coolers (as I will OC the life outta this processor if it doesn't unlock at all)
GPU (DDR5 HD 6670/6770 maybe?)
UPS
Couple of more HDD's
LOL, it looks more like a gaming rig now (which I don't mind cuz I'm into gaming as well) and yes I realize it got way out of my budget but still aren't they worth it for photoshop? Btw please recommend a basic multimedia speakers for this rig? Cheaper the better!
Edit: if you feel there's a change needed in my specs to make it perform better I'd be more than happy to hear it so please add your thoughts.

Last edited:

clmlbx

Technomancer
Buy logitech 2.0 speaker for just 300-400 bucks.. best in that price range. am using it.. but you can listen to it in store before buying.. anyway if you are looking 2.1 or so then don't mind ..

Your config is pretty good.. But if you are looking in budget then do check my specs FYI I am running Photoshop Every Day.. Every hour.. It's my job and it is running very well.. JUST for your knowledge..

OP
N

nokia6600

Broken In
That's what I planned for man, to keep it as low as possible on money but I been hearing bad stuff about 78LMT S2P combined with this processor. What's the point of buying 960t if you can't unlock/overclock, right? Anyway I'll definitely give a second thought about 960T+78LMT S2P after discussing with my mates who I'll be working with.

desiJATT

Away from Forums, Again!
First of all, don't get confused by the numerous number of replies. Here are some tips for you.

Go for this configuration -

AMD Phenom II X4 960T
Gigabyte GA970A-UD3
Gskill 4GB 1600 MHz
WD Blue 500GB
Seasonic S12II 520
20" Samsung Monitor

>Unlocking the 960T on 970A-UD3 will be a breeze. The only thing which matters is luck. Unlocking is a 50/50 chance for 960T processors. So don't count on your processor to become 6 core as you buy it.

>For future upgrades, a GPU will be more effective than adding an SSD. Do it later.

Minion

Conversation Architect
If that's the case here's the final specs
960T
970A UD3
Samsung 20' LED
WD Caviar Blue 500GB
Seasonic 520w
RipjawsX 4GB
HP/Asus Optical Drive
Basic multimedia KB+Mouse
CM Elite 431
Future upgrades:
RipjawsX 4GB
60GB/120GB SSD (MAYBE)
Aftermarket Coolers (as I will OC the life outta this processor if it doesn't unlock at all)
GPU (DDR5 HD 6670/6770 maybe?)
UPS
Couple of more HDD's
LOL, it looks more like a gaming rig now (which I don't mind cuz I'm into gaming as well) and yes I realize it got way out of my budget but still aren't they worth it for photoshop? Btw please recommend a basic multimedia speakers for this rig? Cheaper the better!
Edit: if you feel there's a change needed in my specs to make it perform better I'd be more than happy to hear it so please add your thoughts.

Go ahead mate for your speaker get logitech x 210 for 700 buck.

OP
N

nokia6600

Broken In
LOL! WTF! The overall cost of everything I listed above reached more than 35k already! (flipkart price wise) Is it REALLY worth it? Lol, my mates are ready to spend 5k extra when they can get better performing workhorse with Intel setup. Nothing has been confirmed yet. I feel like I've created one of the dumbest topic on TDF's pc section. What started with 25k is now at 40k. LOL! But thats because I want the money to be spent wisely. So please lol someone suggest photoshop workhorse for 40k please... Lol

desiJATT

Away from Forums, Again!
LOL! WTF! The overall cost of everything I listed above reached more than 35k already! (flipkart price wise) Is it REALLY worth it? Lol, my mates are ready to spend 5k extra when they can get better performing workhorse with Intel setup. Nothing has been confirmed yet. I feel like I've created one of the dumbest topic on TDF's pc section. What started with 25k is now at 40k. LOL! But thats because I want the money to be spent wisely. So please lol someone suggest photoshop workhorse for 40k please... Lol

This happens a lot. Flipkart and Local prices fluctuate a lot, and prices are high at some places. Take my example. I started off with 40K budget last month. I was suggested a config worth 47k. I spent around 60k because the prices were quite high in the local stores. Now I do realise that I would have got an i5 2500k based system with that budget, but think again, that would elevate the costs to 70k atleast because the pricing is not same everywhere. So just stick with this config, I'l edit it a little just to lower it down to your budget.

AMD Phenom II X4 960T - 7k
Gigabyte G880GM-USB3 - 4.5k
Normal DDR3 4GB 1333MHz ram - 1k
WD Blue 500GB - 3.8k
Corsair CX430V2 - 2.6k
20" Samsung Monitor - 7k

Total - 25900

The real price may go to 27k, but its worth it. Mild overclocking is possible over this motherboard, although high level overclock+unlocking is pretty much not recommended on this board, although its perfectly possible. A Corsair Cx430V2 will take care of your power requirements provided you dont add a very powerfull graphics later. Rest is all the same.

clmlbx

Technomancer

Now I would really say .. relax and take week off. and then decide what is max you an spend.. and make that final just final budget, if you compare it with best for Photoshop then budget will go insane..

To reduce the price you can forget overclocking.. and do buy Good atleast 500W PSU as it will be needed for good graphic card and all your possible future upgrades.. and also buy branded say either corsair or kingston ram atleast..

above config looks good to me with just going 500W PSU rather then 430.. you can check tagan PSU which are cheaper then corsair..

IMO 30K is minimum needed... as even that config will go as he has not included DVD-writer and cabinet.. both of them are gonna cost around 2.5K

OP
N

nokia6600

Broken In
Ok, this is my planned AMD setup
960T - 6891
970A UD3 - 6572
Samsung S20B300B - 6912
WD Blue 500GB - 4072
NZXT Source Elite 210 - 2600
SS S12II 520W - 4658
RipjawsX 4GB - 1788
DVD Drive - 1200
Lenovo M6811 - 615
Multimedia KB - 500
total 35808
However, after going through various threads I read in a topic where a member has bought :-
I5 2400 - 11000
Intel DH67CL - 5300
Corsair 4GB - 1275
SG Barracuda 1TB - 5000
Corsair CX430 - 2875
DVD Drive - 1075
AOC 21.5 LED - 8490
total 35015
It would reach 39k with the same cabinet and KB+Mouse or 1.5k less if I go with Samsung 20' monitor.
I understand I5 2400 can't be OC'd but it can still outperform 960T in real life, right? The AOC Monitor is full HD, so will there be a huge difference in PS? And what are pros of 1600mhz RAM over 1333mhz? (RipjawsX from AMD setup to Corsair in Intel setup)
I plan to keep this rig for atleast 4 years, so have to choose the best right now. I been reading on FX 8120 for a while, will it make sense to replace 960T with 8120 and go with it? After all PS is the main purpose of this rig, gaming is secondary.

Minion

Conversation Architect
You are buying PC for photoshop right then no need to go with intel price difference is huge go with amd, better spend on good monitor.That doesn't mean AMD are poor performer in real world you will not find any difference between and i5 and 960T so opt for cheapest.

You should opt for full HD IPS panel they are accurate with colors.
for your guide see this link
Best Monitor for Photography

Corsair ram is 1333 Mhz while ripjaw is 1600 Mhz low latency performance ram.

You can't use 1600 mhz ram with intel i5.It support upto 1333 mhz.

Don't go for FX 8120 since it will increase your budget and they are power hungry too.

OP
N

nokia6600

Broken In
Ok so which is better? Single 8GB RAM stick or two 4 GB's? Two as in adding additional 4 GB down the road, when I have the money.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ IMO.A single 8 gb is better.
Correct me if im wrong
Higher latency when the RAM stick size increases. This means slightly lower performance.

Plus, using 2 * 4 GB RAM means running in Dual Channel which means higher bandwidth.

2 * 4GB is better. :)

OP
N

nokia6600

Broken In
Thanks for the replies guys.
I now have more to consider after increasing the budget.
1. 960T+970A UD3+aftermarket cooler
I'll have an option to upgrade the processor with Piledriver when more performance is needed, say after 2/2.5yrs, and hopefully not replace the custom cooler.
2. i5 2400 + DH67CL B3
I shouldn't have to worry about upgrades, aftermarket coolers, totally hassle free, but can it run PS 24/7 with no hiccups for say 4yrs?
3. FX 8120+970A UD3
Get an aftermarket cooler couple of months later and never look back?
I can stretch the budget to fit in any one of the 3 setup from above.
Share your opinions please..
Btw, I have taken IPS monitor into consideration.
Need suggestions on this please :-
Full HD monitor for best photoshop experience below 10k?
Cheapest IPS monitor?
P.S: I'm trying to put in best of things to make this a one time purchase, that's why it took me over a month of time with the increasing budget. I'll settle at once within a couple of days.

Minion

Conversation Architect
Get 960T combo.AMD processor now runs cooler than Intel processor so no need to worry about heating issue.and it can run 24/7 too.
I don't know why people have such a huge trust over Intel.If you are going with 960T config. you are saving around 5k you can get a AMD 5670 GPU for 4k will help in photo shop and also invest in after market cooler.
FX 8120 provide good performance but they are not consistent and they are power hungry too.
For eIPS monitor search Internet.

Top Bottom