PC for a Photographer

vikram_1982

Broken In
Hey!

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run?
Ans: I am a photographer and videographer. I will be using the computer for the following:
a) Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Lightroom must be able to run in parallel with no stutter.
b) Adobe After effects and Apple Final Cut Pro need to be capable to run smoothly.
c) I am planning to set this up as a Home video streaming server. I have a 802.11 N router and I want a wireless card capable of supporting this.
d) I need this computer to be future proof for the next 5 years atleast. So, newer versions of Photoshop and Lightroom should continue to run smooth.
e) I have a PS3, so I won't be using this system for heavy gaming. However, I love Flight Simulator X. FSX, unfortunately isn't available on the PS3. So, I will be using FSX on this system and I want that to run great!
f)

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: Around 60k. Can move it up by 5k if really necessary.

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: No

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Windows 7.

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: An internal 250GB hard disk will suffice. I have all the external HDD space already.

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: No. I will be using a 32 inch TV @ 1920x1080.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: None.

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: ASAP.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: No. But I am sure I can do it myself.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Bangalore. I am open to buying online.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: No.

Sainatarajan

Wise Old Owl
AMD FX 8150 @ 12K
ASUS M5A99X EVO @ 11K
GSKILL RIPJAWSX 4 GB X 2 @ 3K
ASUS DVD RW @ 1K
SEAGATE 500GB HDD @ 5K
SEASONIC S12 620W @ 4.6K
NZXT 210 SOURCE ELITE @ 2.4K
MICROSOFT COMBO @ 0.7K
ALTEC LANSING BXR1321 @ 1.3K
APC 1.1KVA UPS @ 5K
GIGABYTE HD 7850 2 GB @ 15K
Total @ 60K .

Cilus

laborare est orare
Get the following:-

AMD FX-8150 (8 core, 8MB L2, 8MB L3, 3.6 GHz) @ 12K
Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 @ 6.6K
G-skill RipjawX 4GB X 2 1600 MHz @ 3.2K
WD Blue 500 GB SATA II @ 4.2K
Seasonic S12II 430 80+ Bronze PSU @ 3.38K
NZXT Source 210 Elite Cabinet @ 2.5K
Sapphire HD 7850 2 GB GDDR5 @ 15.6K
APC 1.1KVA UPS @ 4.3K

Total: 51.7K. Keep the extra 10K for other future upgrades. You can go for a 128 GB SSD drive for the OS and frequently required software to be installed. In case you're not aware, SSD or solid state devices are flash based device and far faster than normal HDD. So if OS and software are installed in these drives, they normally load faster and work on them is also faster.
Corsair Force Series 3 120 GB SSD SATA III 6 Gbps @ 7.6K is a good VFM upgrade.

desiJATT

Away from Forums, Again!
The configuration by Cilus is top notch. But I would like to bump the Power Supply to 500W. Maybe a Corsair CX500 will hold good here.

Cilus

laborare est orare
Then change the PSU to Seasonic SS12II 430 80+ Bronze @ 3.3K (Theitwares.com). Reason for choosing iit over CX500 is that like all the other Seasonic S12 series, this one is also an underrated PSU and actually provides same power (34A in its dual 12 V rail) as the CX 500. Plus it has better build quality and 80+ Bronze certification. Also for lower end PSU, dual V rail does have advantage over a single 12V rail as their build quality is not as good as the higher end models and it is good to device the power load among 2 rails.

maddy

Journeyman
perfectly said Cilus :) i own CX 500 and compared it with friends Seasonic 520 3.6k @ prime abgb both almost same :)

aaruni

The Linux Guy
If you are planning to use Apple Final Cut Pro, you need MAC OS X. You planning to hackintosh? If not then get yourself an iMAC of your choice... Apple iMAC

OP
V

vikram_1982

Broken In
Your requirements are not too high so you can get a basic iMac if you are comfortable with mac os.

I would love to get an iMac, but I already have all the software for Windows. And these softwares are quite expensive, so I dont want to repurchase these again. Further, FSX doesn't run on Mac and I really like that ! :)

aaruni said:
If you are planning to use Apple Final Cut Pro, you need MAC OS X. You planning to hackintosh? If not then get yourself an iMAC of your choice... Apple iMAC

I actually use a software called CyberLink PowerDirector. It's windows based and similar to FCP. Many don't know about it and hence I said that I will be using something like FCP! :) Good catch, mate! :)

Siddharth_1

EXTREME
^^exactly. An apple iMac would be best suited for you because it provides great funtionality and an enjoyable interface. Also, your requirements are also not too high(like heavy gaming) so it would be best suited for you as i said earlier.

Top Bottom