PC Buying Guide - July 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

tkin

Back to school!!
And the warranty will be?

Corsair support is almost legendary, they will send you everything you need except the product as long as you need them(cables, caps, brackets).

Cilus

laborare est orare
Could u explain it little elaborately?

And it is having 5 yrs of warranty. Another thing is if you buy a very good quality PSU, chances of fault is not that much, isn't it?

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ok but is that the green model? AFAIK those have high rate of failure, try getting the blue model.

It was the case with the older models, newer green models don't have that problem any more.

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
^^i somewhat agree, but on a underpowering/bad PSU your HDD can be killed if there is too much ripple in voltage.

Although according to your statement PSU shouldnt have anything to do with HDD failure.

Cilus

laborare est orare
HDD failure has little or nothing to do with smps, the green model from wd failed due to repeated head parking, not sure if new models are fixed but as skud said may be they are.

Whom you are referring buddy? And from where did u bring the hard disk?:grin:

Last edited:

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
HDD failure has little or nothing to do with smps, the green model from wd failed due to repeated head parking, not sure if new models are fixed but as skud said may be they are.
Whom are you referring to mate? In your previous post you asked cilus for the warranty of that xigmatek psu (which happened to be 5 years) and claimed corsair to be legendary( somewhat true). But what has this got to do with hdd?

Btw wd greens have no such failure rates as i own a wd green 1tb with 32mb cache and was one of the early adopters in my area. So it has been a while since using (more than 2 & a half years) and never encountered any hdd crash or bad sectors. They are completely reliable. It was the seagate 7200.11 which had issues but were fixed in the 7200.12 revision.

tkin

Back to school!!
Whom are you referring to mate? In your previous post you asked cilus for the warranty of that xigmatek psu (which happened to be 5 years) and claimed corsair to be legendary( somewhat true). But what has this got to do with hdd?

Btw wd greens have no such failure rates as i own a wd green 1tb with 32mb cache and was one of the early adopters in my area. So it has been a while since using (more than 2 & a half years) and never encountered any hdd crash or bad sectors. They are completely reliable. It was the seagate 7200.11 which had issues but were fixed in the 7200.12 revision.
What the hell, my posts are all screwed up, god damn it, I was trying to teply to the hdd post, god damn it.

Could u explain it little elaborately?

And it is having 5 yrs of warranty. Another thing is if you buy a very good quality PSU, chances of fault is not that much, isn't it?
Talk about luck, some guy here bought a Seasonic X850(AKA corsair AX850) that was a doa. You wanna bet your cash on these? Warranty is the most important.

Cilus

laborare est orare
Well , hope now u r satisfied with the Xigmatek PSU as it offers 5 yrs of warranty.

virajkin

Journeyman
Even AMD's official sepcs show minimum 500W requirement. Then OP can get a 6770 which should cost 1k less or a 6850 which is 2k more.

Shall i finalize with HD6770??
Can any one give me online shopping site for the above card? i could not find it.
I found many 5770's at at the price of Rs 7200-75000
OR Will my PSU Support MSI R5770 Hawk Radeon HD 5770 1GB. Its price is Rs7500 on theitwares.com

Last edited:

Cilus

laborare est orare
HEre is the lynx-india link for Sapphire HD 6770. It costs 6.8K+5% vat = 7.14K + Shipping.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
The last time I saw, shipping was 170 bucks. So that makes it 7310/- all inclusive. Get it buddy.

Cilus

laborare est orare
Guys, have a look at the Xigmatek NRP-PC702 specs and reviews which I've posted above. Let me know if it is a worthy one to be used in our PC Building Guide.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ Thumbs up from my side:thumbs:. Its a worthy psu and can be suggested in our guide. You don't often get such a terrific 700w psu at such low price. Besides its officially recommended by nvidia and amd.

piedpiper

The Gooo000oooner Way
Hello everyone. I stay in Hubli, Karnataka. I am planning to buy a new mid range gaming PC. Yesterday I decided to go by few shops and enquire price for my processor and motherboard, None of them sell boxed Intel core i5-2400. They say I've to buy Combo i.e Core i5-2400 with Intel dh61ww B3. How true is this?? I was planning to buy Core i5-2400 with Asus P8P67 Motherboard. Plz Help!!

rsen

Right off the assembly line
Thinking of buying a computer soon in Kolkata; i5 2500k with new RAM, case and everything except graphics card and monitor/speaker/ups.

I want to use the PC for mostly middle level gaming (i.e. not crysis 2 at max settings), some web and development work.

I have a few questions :

1) Why are all the configurations recommending only 4GB of RAM ? I have seen on most foreign websites that even entry level gaming rigs have 6 or 8GB and they say the few extra GB of RAM makes a huge difference if you multitask or run games with long load times.

2) There are no SSD drives recommended except for the very highest gaming setup. As far as I can tell SSD drives have a gigantic impact on gaming with extremely fast load times.

It's odd that you neglect SSD drives but go for EXTREMELY high end graphics cards like the 560Ti/580 when the difference between a gtx460 and a 560 is marginal compared to the huge gains from an SSD drive and more RAM.

3) Does anyone know a good source for SSD drives in Kolkata ?

piedpiper

The Gooo000oooner Way
My budget is 50k and I am planning to buy:
Intel Core i5-2400 3.1Ghz
ASUS P8P67 B3
MSI Nvidia Geforce 460 GTX CYCLONE
CORSAIR XMS3 2x2GB
Western Digital Caviar Green
LG LED E2040T
LG DVD Writer
Corsair PSU CX or GS 600
Cooler Master Elite 430
Microsoft PS2 keyboard mouse
Altec bxr1220 2.0 speakers
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus cooler

So what do you say is the above config worth the money and do help me with the combo. I'd go Mumbai or Bangalore to purchase the rig if I am not getting boxed processor here.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
rsen said:
Thinking of buying a computer soon in Kolkata; i5 2500k with new RAM, case and everything except graphics card and monitor/speaker/ups.
Create a thread for that and mention budget. This isnt the right place.
rsen said:
1) Why are all the configurations recommending only 4GB of RAM ? I have seen on most foreign websites that even entry level gaming rigs have 6 or 8GB and they say the few extra GB of RAM makes a huge difference if you multitask or run games with long load times.
These are PC's for normal people who dont have to OC and who normally dont play and use photoshop and run Virtualistation at the same time.
Mention you're preferences and we will give a config for that according to budget
rsen said:
2) There are no SSD drives recommended except for the very highest gaming setup. As far as I can tell SSD drives have a gigantic impact on gaming with extremely fast load times.
IF you want a SSD for a PC, poeple normally create a thread. Like I said the config's are for general public. and hardly general public would want only 80 GB of storage space. Most of people dont understand what is a SSD and what is not a SSD. Space and money saving matter to them moew
rsen said:
It's odd that you neglect SSD drives but go for EXTREMELY high end graphics cards like the 560Ti/580 when the difference between a gtx460 and a 560 is marginal compared to the huge gains from an SSD drive and more RAM.
560Ti and 580 cards are completely different. One is a less expensive(than the latter, consumes less power but will give good performance in games. ITs a mid end card.
580 is the top of the line, expensive NVIDIA card for people building a uber high end Rig.

Regarding the 460 and the 560Ti the difference is a LOT MORE THAN marginal

Read a review here-
HEXUS.net - Review :: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti vs. GTX 460 1GB - at the same clocks : Page - 9/9

Our review of the GeForce GTX 560 Ti highlights that it is, on average, 33 per cent faster than a GeForce GTX 460 1GB card . The large performance variation intimates that the two GPUs are a class or two apart - a fact that's true when looking at the relative performance of two reference-clocked cards.
33 percent isnt marginal is it? :D

Last edited:

rsen

Right off the assembly line
These are PC's for normal people who dont have to OC and who normally dont play and use photoshop and run Virtualistation at the same time.
I don't understand how these configurations are for normal people when cards like the 560/580 are listed.
Neither do I understand why almost all the gaming PC's listed have i7 processors when i7's are almost totally useless for any game that is out right now.

Let's make the assumption then that the people that look at the mid-high end PC's do some multitasking, play mainstream games that do not require a cutting edge configuration.

So this would mean something like, say, Starcraft 2, any call of duty 4/mw/bo type game, witcher 2, nfs hp2010 or any recent title.

For *THESE* games i.e. games of the current gen or then gen that will be out this year :

1) Extra RAM makes a huge difference.
2) SSD drives make a huge difference.

I simply fail to understand why even the mid end upwards range of PC configs listed include very very very very high end graphics cards and CPUs which are almost never even used to their fullest capacity whereas 2 basic things (ram & ssd) are almost completely ignored.

Create a thread for that and mention budget. This isnt the right place.
what exactly is this thread for ? I just wanted to discuss the purpose of some of these configurations.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom