Pausing Live TV...How is it possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

paraman

Journeyman
godsownman said:
What if ,

Suppose we pause the television . So when we pause it automatically starts recording but when we resume it it shows us the recorded part of the program that we missed .

But does it still continue recording because now we are watching what we missed.

For eg .

I started the television at 23:00pm and watched till 23:10 pm , then I got disturbed and paused the TV.
It started recording automatically. At 23:20 I came back and resumed the television .Now I am watching what I missed for the past 10 minutes right .

So from what I understand is that once you pause it starts recording till you switch off the television

Please correct me if my logic is wrong.

I myself use this feature of pausing live tv. I don't have a media centre pc. My config is : P4 2.4 processor, 2x256mb 400Mhz RAM, 160gb HDD and Pinnacle PCTV Pro TV Tuner card. This config is enough to pause live tv.

The procedure works as you have described above. Once you pause live tv for any amount of time, the recording continues in the background till you switch off the tv tuner application. How long you can pause is limited only by the free hard disk space that you have. I have paused live tv even for 1-2 hours. You can specify what resolution you want to record/pause tv. Higher resolution will obviously require more space on your hdd. Paused tv plays back in the same resolution that you specify for recording.

When you start viewing the paused telecast you can fast forward the ads or any uninteresting bits in the tv programme. When you press the stop button, background recording is stopped and you are back to live tv.

If you have a stable system then this feature can prove to be extremely useful.

Now Pinnacle has introduced a Media Centre package (software + remote control) which obviously works with tv tuner cards of their own brand. If you already have a decently powerful system you can buy this package + tv tuner card and have a PVR system of your own without buying a special Windows Media Centre PC.

Charley

Just Do It
Nemesis said:
Windows Media Center Edition is available with branded PCs. You cannot purchase in the market nor can you download it from MS. It definitely isn't free!!

Checked on it , the dudes here say its not free.

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
Isn't that what I said?
Let me repeat:

It is ONLY available with branded PCs and NOT available for purchase separately.

rohanbee

Padawan
yup its not available seperately at the moment. I checked it out too. Its quite the rage abroad. Saw a lot of ads all over during my recent trip to south-east asia.

paraman

Journeyman
You are welcome. I bought mine a few years back so I am not aware of the current price though it must be less than Rs. 3000 (just the tv tuner card). You could ask with a few dealers for the latest price.

sreevirus

Certified Nutz
on my TV card software, this feature is achieved by time delay. when activated, it creates a temporary buffer file and what is displayed is actually 5 to 8 seconds older. and further on if u pause, then the recording continues in real time and when u start playing again, the video continues from where it was paused.
hope this clears things up a bit, but i'm not sure if the process mechanism is same on MC PCs.

tuxfan

Technomancer
So once you pause a live show, what you keep getting is a "deferred" live show? Is that what happens. Nice thing to have once in a while :)

sreevirus

Certified Nutz
tuxfan said:
So once you pause a live show, what you keep getting is a "deferred" live show? Is that what happens. Nice thing to have once in a while :)
its true in my case, and yeah, its handy when u're watching those really exciting football or tennis matches, though i cant run any other software when doing so, coz it hogs up all the memory...hence i rarely use it. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom