Paschimbanga? Oh what a state we live in

Should the name be changed to Poschimbongo?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
You get it wrong. It was taka all along in the undivided Bengal, just like its toka in Assam. After independence Bangladesh named their currency Taka, naturally. And for Bengali speaking people it was and is Paschimbanga all the time, before that bangadesh (not bangladesh). Just because someone cannot properly pronounce doesn't necessarily means its useless. Even I still find the names, Mumbai and Chennai crap. And what about Bengaluru? It's hilarious. But we have gotten used to, I guess very few people remember Madras these days. Bombay will live, because of Hindi films and songs.

Alok

Adventurer
As West Bengal is called "Paschim Banga" in hindi , i think that they want to force everyone to call that so.

But does it makes any difference??
Why these politician rush for such useless tasks??

eagle_y2j

Youngling
interesting article over this
West Bengal all set to start a new game! | Ideas :D

Improve and change West Bengal not by name but by work in ground ! Mamata ji if every state will follow you than really “baghwan hi malik hai” .

Alok

Adventurer
Improve and change West Bengal not by name but by work in ground ! Mamata ji if every state will follow you than really “baghwan hi malik hai” .

yes. Don't they have any important task rather spoiling time over such useless changes. I'll call it political trolling:-x

abhijit_reddevil

Manchester United
I knew we were voting for the wrong party and a stupid CM. Nice "poriborton" isnt it?

The name is bad, I agree but your statement above is even worse.

1) So all the lakhs of sensible people who voted for TMC last April voted for the wrong party, huh? Don't actually need to answer because the results speak for themselves.

2) So you are actually supporting CPIM and their atriocities over the last 34 years?

Don't make this thread a CPIM vs TMC warzone.

OP
Extreme Gamer

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
I dont support CPIM. Those damn commies dont know how the world works.

But I dont like TMC either.

Is it wrong to hate both?

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
@vickybat: You may have hurt sentiments by calling it cr@p. I am not a bengali or a marathi or tamilian but I can understand why do people changed names of Calcutta, Bombay, Madras etc.

Kolkata, Mumbai and Chennai are all native names called by people living there even before the name change so why not change it.

An offtopic, but I really hate when people in West Bengal call Indian currency "taka".

My apologies to all the people if i accidentally hurt their sentiments.

Post edited.:smile:

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
I would like to tell again (what skud was already telling) we say "Poschimbongo" in our spoken language (bengali) everyday. What Mamata did is kept it as it is in english too.

Similar happened with Bengaluru, Chennai, Mumbai, Odhisa (or Orissa??)... what is the issue with Poschimbongo then?

States, cities change their names with time. Stop fussing around with what is right or worng.

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
@vickybat: My respects to you :)

@rhitwick: So Extreme Gamer found you wrong, for once ;) (referring to your siggi)

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Joking: that only goes to show, we do need Paschim Banga in place of West Bengal. Result of 34 years of Left rule, I guess. :lol:

Last edited:
OP
Extreme Gamer

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
Them commies are stupid old men who do not know how the real world works.

And TMC is a party made up of Queen Mamata at the top who only knows how to call strikes and dharnas. (Sure commies did it too but it was Mamata who set the trend)

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Them commies are stupid old men who do not know how the real world works.

And TMC is a party made up of Queen Mamata at the top who only knows how to call strikes and dharnas. (Sure commies did it too but it was Mamata who set the trend)

I don't know how old are you, but it's the commies who have set the trend of bandh, and this work culture. Not the other way round.

Another good point. But that comes to everyone's habit because of large migrants coming to India from Bangladesh, illegally. :/

It was called taka for a long long time. Because East Pakistan was formed from India (and later Bangladesh), and most of the people of that country was Bengali-speaking, the have named their currency taka. And what's the problem with taka? I am yet to see a single Indian (oops Bharatiya) who called the currency Indian National Rupee or INR. Somewhere its rupee/s, somewhere rupaiyah, somewhere rupiah. Now rupiah is Indonesian currency. So what to take, a large part of Indians have get the habit of calling the currency Rupiah/Rupaiyah because of Indonesian migrants? WTF!!!

And obviously no one called him/herself an Indian in his/her mother tongue. Neither most of the people talk in proper Hindi which we are used to hear in Bollywood films. And yes, I am talking about Hindi speaking states also. With so much imperfections, why bother about such needless things? Does it really matter?

Last edited:
OP
Extreme Gamer

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
I don't know how old are you, but it's the commies who have set the trend of bandh, and this work culture. Not the other way round.

well commies started(jyoti basu the old buffoon) it in the 70s but TMC took it to the core and continued it since the 80s.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
WTF??? :shock: For your information, TMC was formed in 90s. How come they called bandhs in 80s?

And although I am not really a fan of Jyoti Basu, exact opposite, you are letting out too much personal insult here needlessly.

OP
Extreme Gamer

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
I was referring to Mamata Bannerjee.

She was in the scene in 80s thru congress. TMC is a breakaway faction.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
In 80s and until she was with Congress, she has no power to call a bandh on her own. And you need to get your stats right: CPM has called more bandhs than all the parties combined during the last 40-50 years.

MatchBoxx

the m0nk who sold his PC!
What's the big deal? Did anyone complain about Orissa becoming Odisha?

But one of the reasons given for the change was that West Bengal begins with a W and hence is low down the alphabetical order. This apparently made it difficult for administrative purposes, which can be smooth now that the name starts with P, way above as compared to W. :lol:

this was the reason they sighted...but i WANT BENGAL/BONGO! it would be then far above in the alphabetical order!!!

I donot get the hype and hoopla over the issue?!!!

If u r a bong, what do u call "West Bengal" in bengali?

I was raised with books mentioning "poschimbanga" (b'o'ng'o' is exactly what it is pronounced in bengali). For the past 27 yrs whenever I talked with people (in bengali) and had to utter my state's name I've always uttered "Poschimbongo"...

What present Govt. did is just keep the bengali name as in english too with exact phonetic way its used.

What I have issue with this name change, is they were supposed to remove this "Poschim" (or west) from the name which they did not...

history comes into play here! West Bengal & East Bengal[= Bangladesh]! probably, they want us to remember history... :grin::neutral::lol:

I would like to tell again (what skud was already telling) we say "Poschimbongo" in our spoken language (bengali) everyday. What Mamata did is kept it as it is in english too.

Similar happened with Bengaluru, Chennai, Mumbai, Odhisa (or Orissa??)... what is the issue with Poschimbongo then?

States, cities change their names with time. Stop fussing around with what is right or worng.

+1 to this

Not probably, this is exactly the reason. Sort of useless IMO.

as a matter of fact, we young generation really do hate history!! we don't like [atleast i don't] like to read history books!! i never scored >65!!!

then keep it as west bengal. nobody says east bengal anymore and "East Bengal" is an Indian football club. So there should be no reason to keep west in the name anymore let alone translating it to paschimbaga in Bengali.

correct your spelling!!!! :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom