Status
Not open for further replies.

Him007

Journeyman
Hi,

My HDD having three partiton namley "c,d,e". I have insatlled the XP(C drive), 2000 server (D drive) & Me in (E drive).
Whenever I boot my system, get the choice menu to boot the desired OS.
My problem is that win2k server has been infected by spyware / viruses & I want to re-install it (after formatting the d drive only, alreday in NTFS) but not affecting the other OS bcz it is working fine.
I am afraid if I re-install the server, may be boot.ini or other files would be affected.
So i need the suggestion that how to do that? OR is it ok to do the simple setup..

piyush gupta

Cyborg Agent
As much i Know if u format partition and reinstall 2k u need to change boot.ini file

not sure about it
ask Vishal for such prblems

piyush gupta

Cyborg Agent
^^ checkout

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/member.php?u=7430

also dont forget to see this

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42482

He is registry and windwos shell guru

and one of most popular person here

himtuna

Journeyman
typ e msconfig in run and copy the boot.ini fil. Now reinstall the server edition inthe d drive. even if something goes wrong youo can rreplace the original boot.ini and reformatt the partition.

OP
H

Him007

Journeyman
Vishal plz help me!!!!!!!!!!!

Would somebody will fwd this problem to him???

Problem is still in my machine.... :(

Last edited:

khattam_

Fresh Stock Since 2005
You will not need to do anything.. Just format your D: and reinstall.. and you should get the new entry in boot.ini...

However, i recommend not to...

Boot with XP and scan with a good av, preferably with KAV 2007 Beta...

piyush gupta

Cyborg Agent
DO this buddy

format d: drive from XP
then install 2000 without any worry
then boot using XP CD
and repair XP installation
yaar simply

1. format D: and install 2000
2. install XP again on C:
it'll solve the problem

Last edited:

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
The method mentioned by piyush should work fine! :)
Anyway lemme describe again:
If u'll format and install Windows 2k server, it'll overwrite XP boot loader and XP may deny to boot. So do as following:

1. Boot ur PC using Windows 2k server Setup CD and install it on D: drive. U'll get an option to select the partition and to format it.
2. Now after installation if everything works fine and u'll be able to boot into each OS properly, then its good, otherwise:

3. Boot using XP Setup CD and enter into Recovery Console by pressing R.
4. Now at command prompt, give following commands:

fixmbr
fixboot
bootcfg /rebuild

It should repair the boot loader and u should be able to boot into each and every OS. :)

OP
H

Him007

Journeyman
Vishal Gupta said:
The method mentioned by piyush should work fine! :)
Anyway lemme describe again:
If u'll format and install Windows 2k server, it'll overwrite XP boot loader and XP may deny to boot. So do as following:

1. Boot ur PC using Windows 2k server Setup CD and install it on D: drive. U'll get an option to select the partition and to format it.
2. Now after installation if everything works fine and u'll be able to boot into each OS properly, then its good, otherwise:

3. Boot using XP Setup CD and enter into Recovery Console by pressing R.
4. Now at command prompt, give following commands:

fixmbr
fixboot
bootcfg /rebuild

It should repair the boot loader and u should be able to boot into each and every OS. :)

Ok I will do that, one thing before doing that I dnt need to take the bckup of boot.ini file right?
& what abt windows Me it will work after the recovery of XP cd.
I installed the win xp 3 years back, wd sp1 now I have the diffrent bootable xp cd with sp2, whether it would work or not?

plz revert

OP
H

Him007

Journeyman
Hi, Vishal

Today I formatted the d: drive using the 2000 server botable cd & it is working fine, but while booting in the menu option if i use XP getting the messege "Couldn't start because following file is missing or corrupt \windows\system32\config\systemd".
I tried all of your commands in the recovery console prompt but no use problem is still there.
I want to recover the xp aslo plz help!!!!!!!!!!

help me Plz......

plz help me....

Last edited:
OP
H

Him007

Journeyman
yes I did the same.....

yes I did the same..... all in the sequence.... 2000 server & Me are working fine... one thing on the boot option I am getting two blank rows like as:

3. XP
4. 2000
5. Me

if i click 1 it will direct to xp(after that same error) & 2 for 2000 server.
Then I checked the start up & recovery option in the system properties in 2000 server it was look like:

1 ""
2 ""
3 xp
4 2000
5 Me

Plz help....

Last edited:

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Buddy, all these entries are stored in "C:\Boot.ini" file (its a HIDDEN and Read-only file). U can edit this file to remove the unwanted entries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom