Participate in Windows App Challenge Contest and Win One Assured Windows Phone

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would also like to know whether participating in this contest changes the control that the developer has over his apps. The control over the apps (ability to update, modify, change price, remove the app etc.) submitted will still remain with the developer, or does participating alter the MS-dev agreement in anyway? Will I have to release the source code of the apps to MS?

As far as I know those abilities remains with the developer. Also you won't have to release source code.

AlphaOmega

Journeyman
I have been going over the App Hub process and rules for registration, and I believe how much of a PITA it is!

Lot's of things, but my biggest gripe is that they require the credit card to be in the same name as the name given in the account info. Ditto for address. This is off-putting, especially in India, where most don't have credit cards. I never got one. I know people who do, and have just paid them to make the payment for me in cases it's really required (only once before was a CC actually needed). But in this case it appears that I can't use a friend's card to register. Is that correct?

I have my first application entirely completed too. Now I will have to think about what to do...

Last edited:

sygeek

Technomancer
Microsoft gives away free App Hub membership to members of dreamspark program.

Also, there was a exactly similar contest by microsoft a few weeks back.

Lot's of things, but my biggest gripe is that they require the credit card to be in the same name as the name given in the account info. Ditto for address. This is off-putting, especially in India, where most don't have credit cards.

I have also used my father's card. Name and address thing to be same with account info was not required.
But it's really funny you can't pay with your own money (I have a debit card) but pay with credit. It was real annoyance for me too.

DreamSpark is only for students, which I am not. Moreover, students are barred from this contest
Students are barred for this reason only. I mean if you pay $99 (actually it's 4500 INR) you are good to go as Individual Developer. But that's just my opinion.

AlphaOmega

Journeyman
I have also used my father's card. Name and address thing to be same with account info was not required.
But it's really funny you can't pay with your own money (I have a debit card) but pay with credit. It was real annoyance for me too.

Students are barred for this reason only. I mean if you pay $99 (actually it's 4500 INR) you are good to go as Individual Developer. But that's just my opinion.

Wait a sec! So you used your father's CC, and the name and billing address linked to the card was different from the info you gave on the App Hub account info page? And the registration was successful? I mean entirely successful? Everything I have read online seems to indicate that the name given for the account and the name on the card should be the same.

Registration
"13. My credit card is valid but I’m unable to successfully pay for registration. What should I do?

Many registration errors occur because the country or region or the information entered on the Personal Information page does not match the information associated with the credit card. If you are unable to register and you know your credit card is valid, try the following checks:

The name on the card should match the name of the individual."

Can't register with App Hub (credit card not valid) - App Hub Forums - MS rep says the same.

Please share with us all the steps you had to take, and how long each step took. Did you get a call from GeoTrust to verify your identity? Did you mail/fax them proof of your identity (what did you use? Driver's license?)? Has your account been fully activated, with your submitted app available on the market place? I would really appreciate it if you would give a summary of your experience, as, I am sure, would others considering this.

GeoTrust is for Company I think.
Sorry that was not my father's card but my uncle's.
For your address query, I am not sure which ones (i.e. mine or the CC's address) is used, as the final payment process was completed by my uncle. Now I am not sure if that was same or not.
Also, I had no GeoTrust call/mail. No proof given.

But I have got 3 apps uploaded to Marketplace, they got some DLs too :)
If that's what you want to know.
As for Proof I got
1. Windows Marketplace account notification
2. Email ID confirmation
3. Microsoft Purchase Confirmation
from MS in my LIVE ID used for app-hub.

But this trivial/non-trivial is bugging me... :(

Last edited:

AlphaOmega

Journeyman
^^Thanks for your quick reply. GeoTrust verification is for both individuals and companies. Though, from you experience, it appears that the verification/CC restrictions may have been relaxed for India!

...For your address query, my app-hub acc has diff address than the one used for credit card...

Sorry to keep harping on that single point, but I need to have it absolutely clarified before using my friend's CC. You mention that the addresses given to App Hub and on the CC were different. Does that also mean that the names given were different as well? That, though you used your father's CC, the App Hub account had your first/last name and not your father's?

BTW, did you set the apps as free or charged? Just curious...

Hey, actually I don't know what address was used when feeding CC info,
CC was on my uncle's name which is not my app-hub account name.

billing.microsoft.com shows all my account info as it is in my app-hub.
BUT for CC info it shows my uncle's name and my address (that's why I don't know which address he used).

Yes they were free!

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
The registration process does not work on MS latest browser properly (had to use Firefox), and they save your credit card info and give no option to remove it !

AlphaOmega

Journeyman
I have registered in App Hub, using my friend's card. The registration went through (after quite a few headaches), and they confirmed my mail. Then I got the message that the account will be activated after they confirm my identity (how?), but I could start submitting apps for certification in the meantime. /confused

Going to submit the first app today. Let's see what happens.

@shauvik: What does MS mean when they say that my identity verification is pending?

Also, when I submit my 3 apps to digit, will I be informed whether they meet digit's criteria for valid apps before the end of the offer, or after? I hope it's before, since if there any reason an app doesn't pass the digit criteria (non-trivial etc.), at least the developer has the opportunity to make another app and not have his time/effort/money go to waste.

@shauvik: What does MS mean when they say that my identity verification is pending?

Got the same message from MS,, but nothing after that, those 3 mail are the only thing, though last mail (purchase confirmation) came later.

Also, when I submit my 3 apps to digit, will I be informed whether they meet digit's criteria for valid apps before the end of the offer, or after? I hope it's before, since if there any reason an app doesn't pass the digit criteria (non-trivial etc.), at least the developer has the opportunity to make another app and not have his time/effort/money go to waste.
Yeah that would be helpful..

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
Does anyone here know, how to remove the Credit Card info from sh1tty MS App hub account. I am pis5ed !

AlphaOmega

Journeyman
All my apps certified and published to the marketplace, finally!

Submitted all three to digit, and sent off a mail as well.

Now waiting for digit's response with bated breath. :p

OP
S

shauvik

Team Digit
Abhishek:

In case you participate and publish your app on marketplace before the contest end and have a proof to show it to us, we will still consider that. Also, you would need to let us know about such event before the contest ends. Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom