Participate in Windows App Challenge Contest and Win One Assured Windows Phone

Status
Not open for further replies.
In T&C its written that the app should not be similar to other apps already existing in the marketplace. This is the reason I did not participate, three unique ideas in such small time , kinda tough. :???:

Well, I read all the points in T&C (roughly), I didn't see any point explicitly mentioning that. Maybe I am overlooking something. Would you be kind to point that out.

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
Here, second last point on the faq page
FAQs - Frequently Asked Questions - Windows App Challenge Contest

Also note that these Windows Phone applications must be distinct and should have non-trivial utility value for the application user. In case the submitted applications are found to be “Spam” or close replicas of existing applications, these will not qualify for the program.

OP
S

shauvik

Team Digit
Close replica means exactly the same functionality, same look and feel and infringement of someone's copyright idea/concept or design. Similar applications are accepted as long as they are different from the original version and offering something different proposition.

coolpcguy

Resistance is Futile.
mean what benefits we get from MS?

There are no benefits. Every app developer who wishes to submit apps must signup for the developer account, which has a $99 annual fee.

OP
S

shauvik

Team Digit
what do we get for 99$ sign up fee?i mean what benefits we get from MS?

This is what the prizes section say about this:

"Microsoft will reimburse the Developer Sign Up Fee in the form of Rs. 5,000 worth of gift vouchers to all successful developers who submit 3 Apps."

Hope this is what you wanted to know.

gopi_vbboy

Cyborg Agent
This is what the prizes section say about this:

"Microsoft will reimburse the Developer Sign Up Fee in the form of Rs. 5,000 worth of gift vouchers to all successful developers who submit 3 Apps."

Hope this is what you wanted to know.

ya...thanks buddy

OP
S

shauvik

Team Digit
Good news for everybody! On popular demand, the contest has been extended till 29th Feb, 2012! Happy "apping"!

Since date extension is already given in mag, you guys should have declared it earlier.

What does the "winner" mean here. Are you referring to someone with most number of apps.

Also admin replied someone that :

Your apps are currently reviewed by Microsoft and they have passed the Thinkdigit verification. You will hear back from us shortly, once we hear from Microsoft.

What kind of review is done by MS other than app certification?
What is Thinkdigit's verification?

AlphaOmega

Journeyman
I am interested in this, but there are a couple of things that I would appreciate having clarified.

Reading the FAQ, I noticed that the rules mention that the app should be “non-trivial”. I guess that’s to stem the flood of uninspired take-a-note apps, and the nth tip-calculator app. :) Even so, the wording is a little ambiguous on where exactly the line between trivial and non-trivial app lies.

I have some questions about the apps I am planning to develop. My team and I have developed and run an aluminium industry portal (price listings, job listings, industry event aggregator and alert etc.). Some of the best features require a login (free). I was thinking of making apps that allow the user to get updates on his selected events or listing info and interact with the same. Is there any restriction on making an app that requires a user to signup to a site? I basically want to make company branded apps that allow interactions with a particular feature of the site, right from the user’s mobile.

And, perhaps most importantly :p, I couldn’t help but notice that no details about the prize phone are given. May we get the model that’s to be given to successful participants?

OP
S

shauvik

Team Digit
Since date extension is already given in mag, you guys should have declared it earlier.

What does the "winner" mean here. Are you referring to someone with most number of apps.

Also admin replied someone that :

What kind of review is done by MS other than app certification?
What is Thinkdigit's verification?

Besides reviewing the apps, Thinkdigit's role is also to validate whether the apps fall in the contest date range, whether they have come from developers and companies, whether the original apps and ported apps belong to the same participant, so and so forth.

The monthly winner will be the one with maximum published Apps during the contest period.

OP
S

shauvik

Team Digit
I am interested in this, but there are a couple of things that I would appreciate having clarified.

Reading the FAQ, I noticed that the rules mention that the app should be “non-trivial”. I guess that’s to stem the flood of uninspired take-a-note apps, and the nth tip-calculator app. :) Even so, the wording is a little ambiguous on where exactly the line between trivial and non-trivial app lies.

I have some questions about the apps I am planning to develop. My team and I have developed and run an aluminium industry portal (price listings, job listings, industry event aggregator and alert etc.). Some of the best features require a login (free). I was thinking of making apps that allow the user to get updates on his selected events or listing info and interact with the same. Is there any restriction on making an app that requires a user to signup to a site? I basically want to make company branded apps that allow interactions with a particular feature of the site, right from the user’s mobile.

And, perhaps most importantly :p, I couldn’t help but notice that no details about the prize phone are given. May we get the model that’s to be given to successful participants?

Hi,

The trivial apps will be counted as apps but does not guarantee a chance to win the prize/(s).

There is no restriction on “making apps that require a user to signup to a site”. However this should not be done in a hidden manner from the user. To be able to help properly – we will need more understanding and details of what exactly you want to do.

The model name is yet to be disclosed. It will be declared, once the contest gets over.

The trivial apps will be counted as apps but does not guarantee a chance to win the prize/(s).
So, you mean idea for app must be Unique??

Line between trivial and non-trivial is so blurry. It would be nice if you would care to explain, as I really want to win guaranteed Win phone (as now it seems, it is not fully guaranteed).

Also, is the guaranteed device a "windows mobile" device or "windows phone 7 " device.

AlphaOmega

Journeyman
Thanks for replying. About the apps I am going to develop. I have decided to base them around the free features of our site, so the previous concern doesn't apply. The apps will need network connectivity to function of course. That shouldn't be a problem, right?

I would also like to know whether participating in this contest changes the control that the developer has over his apps. The control over the apps (ability to update, modify, change price, remove the app etc.) submitted will still remain with the developer, or does participating alter the MS-dev agreement in anyway? Will I have to release the source code of the apps to MS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom