Package management through Live-CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
faraaz

faraaz

Evil Genius
Oooooh....dude, that makes so much sense!!!

One question though, is it possible to use an ISO file as a repository? Its just that I don't want to have to burn a fresh CD every time I want to install stuff on an offline machine.

Also, @mediator: Dude, your method is really confusing. I'll try out mehulved's suggestion and comment out my sources.list file. If that doesn't work, I'll give your method a go and get back to ya'll.

mediator

Technomancer
Thats the universal method of updating and installing 'offline' and thats where I described about '>' and '>>' i.e the thing similar to "commenting" => to just backup your 'original' sources.list and instead of commenting it out all, delete the whole content and then insert just one line in ur sources.list pointing towards local repository !!

In any case if u mess up, u can have the whole sources.list from here !!

Neways yes u can have an iso as a respository! But y even care when u can have a simple folder on ur hardisk or a pen drive of size like half a Gb or more as a repository??

OP
faraaz

faraaz

Evil Genius
@mediator: You tellin me I don't need to burn a CD for your method?? Whoa...tussi great ho!! I'ma going to go try this out...

mediator

Technomancer
In my opinion, it wud be best if u have it all on hdd or a pen drive as a backup, coz u wud waste ur time in making ISOs also!!

OP
faraaz

faraaz

Evil Genius
@mediator: Okay, the uncommenting of the sources.list method worked fine!! I tried your method but it gave errors, saying path couldn't be found...I'm guessing this is more because of my ineptitude...

Ah well, my system works great after a format and re-install, so lets just leave it at that!! I'm going to save this for future reference though! Thanks man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom