Owning a Dell Vostro 460 desktop, need upgradation recommendations

sahil1033

In the zone
Okay, so my father bought me a Dell Vostro 460 in May '11 and I was unaware of this fact and I was like "oh god, why a company desktop?"
Anyways, I've been doing mini upgrades on my own level.

What Dell gave me -

Monitor : Dell IN1920
Processor : Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz
Motherboard : Dell 0Y2MRG
PSU : Dell H350PD-00
RAM : 2 GB DDR3 (2X1 Samsung M378B2873FH0-CH9)
HDD : Seagate Barracuda 500 GB (ST3500418AS)
____________________________________No Graphics Card____________________________________

What I've upgraded till now -

Monitor : Dell S2240L
RAM : 4 GB DDR3 (Kingston 99P5471-011.A00LF)
HDD : Seagate Barracuda 2 TB (ST2000DM001-1CH164)
Mouse : Logitech G400
USB 3.0 Expansion Card : Transcend Dual Port USB 3.0 PCI-Express Internal Card for Desktop
Mousepad : Razer Goliathus - Fragged Omega - Speed

I'm happy with HDD and mouse upgrade but somewhere I think my RAM is not performing upto mark and even now I face a little slow downs as I've many start-up apps. I know that I should have better bought Corsair Vengeance but I didn't know about it at that time. Anyways, please suggest me some changes. Gradually I'll try to replace everything.
And one more thing, Dell has given me such a stupid cabinet and PSU that the USB 3 expansion card which is fitted into PCI slot is not able to get power because the SATA power connector is too short to reach there :hissyfit:

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games I'm going to run?
Ans: Watching HD movies, multi tasking, games like Crysis series, Call of Duty series, GTA series, Hitman series, FIFA series, NFS series, Battlefield series and many more.

2. What is my overall budget?
Ans: There's no such overall budget as I'm upgrading my parts one by one. Currently I'm willing to buy a graphics card, mid range which is extremely VFM. You suggest a good graphics card which suits my current config and then I'll start collecting money for that.

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: No.

4. Monitor?
Ans: No.

5. When am I planning to upgrade the system?
Ans: It would be a step-by-step upgrade and not a one time upgrade. So, I choose a upgrade and start collecting money for that and when I achieve a upgrade, I switch over to next component and this goes on.

6. Where do I live? Am I buying locally? Am I open to buying stuff from online shops if I don't get locally?
Ans: I live in Patna and I just don't prefer buying locally. Instead I go to Delhi or I buy from any online store and yes it would be good if I get the item at a low price from online shop.

7. Anything else which I would like to say?
Ans: Currently I'm thinking of doing some changes with RAM and I'm saving money for a graphics card, suggest me something regarding this. Should I remove those two Samsung RAMs ?? I was thinking of getting a new monitor too as this one is not Full HD. Well, monitor is not a serious issue now, RAM and graphics card are the first thing I would be upgrading ASAP.
And any help on finding a SATA Power Connector extension for the USB 3.0 expansion card would be appreciated. I need this

Here are a few screenshots of my cabinet
DSCN0416.jpg
DSCN0419.jpg
DSCN0422.jpg
DSCN0432.jpg

Last edited:

ASHISH65

Technomancer
fill these - *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/pc-compon...new-pc-help-answer-these-questions-first.html

ASHISH65

Technomancer
naaaa you have to fill it.it wiil tell us your whole budget and other stuffs or are you lazy to fill it??

OP
sahil1033

sahil1033

In the zone
get gtx 650ti + antec vp450p psu.

are you going to upgrade monitor?

why PSU upgrade?
GTX 650Ti is what i've thought of till now and monitor, please not now, no money and no such desperation.

p.s. - sort my RAM issue please.

OP
sahil1033

sahil1033

In the zone
which psu you have?? inbuilt psus are crap
ah! i know they're crap but that's not sooooo important than GPU upgrade and some changes in RAM.
btw I'll tell you later which PSU I'm using, but AFAIK, it's a 350W PSU. I'll tell you the exact model later.

ASHISH65

Technomancer
buddy gpu over hd 7750 needs a good branded psu.if you run gtx650ti or hd 7850 then it will boom.new psu is must now

- *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/power-sup...89-power-supply-blacklist-thread-newbies.html

OP
sahil1033

sahil1033

In the zone
buddy gpu over hd 7750 needs a good branded psu.if you run gtx650ti or hd 7850 then it will boom.new psu is must now

- *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/power-sup...89-power-supply-blacklist-thread-newbies.html
:cryeyesout: :banghead: :duh2:
Okay then, will see into this matter. How will I manage so much money :eek: :eek:
Anyways, any suggestion on my RAM combination, because it's not working as it should.

Last edited:

Sainatarajan

Wise Old Owl
You need to buy a new PSU.... And 2 GB is insufficient for gaming...
Corsair Value Select 4 GB + Antec VP450p + Sapphire HD 7770 = ~ 12k

OP
sahil1033

sahil1033

In the zone
do some part time job:wink:

what is budget fro gpu + psu ?
haha, currently i'm in the middle of nowhere :p I've dropped an year to prepare for engineering entrances and I still have my exams left and after June 2 I'll start taking this matter more seriously.
Since PSU is new addition now, I've kept a PSU for consideration, Corsair 430W PSU and for GPU I can not even think beyond 10k.

You need to buy a new PSU.... And 2 GB is insufficient for gaming...
Corsair Value Select 4 GB + Antec VP450p + Sapphire HD 7770 = ~ 12k
Well, I've 2 + 4 = 6 GB RAM :p

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
ram is not the issue here.i have seen people with 12gb ram & i7 systems crawling due to wrong/incorrect/incompatible system & software settings.which programs are loading at startup with what settings & which AV are you using?all these make a difference.

Cilus

laborare est orare
Ya, 6 GB Ram is more than enough for your system. Try to disable all the Start up applications. You can use Tools like CCleaner to do that. With that tool, also clear the Temp files and fix the registry.

avinandan012

Cyborg Agent
Please post picture of your cabinet with PSU. Cause most branded desktop makers make their own PSUs also which are like a tall version of laptop bricks not like ATX PSUs we find in market.

OP
sahil1033

sahil1033

In the zone
ram is not the issue here.i have seen people with 12gb ram & i7 systems crawling due to wrong/incorrect/incompatible system & software settings.which programs are loading at startup with what settings & which AV are you using?all these make a difference.
Oh! I thought that I would replace 2X1 Samsung RAM modules with Corsair Vengeance 4 GB DDR3
Well, there are many start-up apps like Google Talk, Mobile Partner, AV, Razer Game Booster, Logitech Gaming Software, IDM, Bing Desktop.
I'm using Norton 360.

Ya, 6 GB Ram is more than enough for your system. Try to disable all the Start up applications. You can use Tools like CCleaner to do that. With that tool, also clear the Temp files and fix the registry.
I've Tune Up Utilities installed and it regularly clears up the temp files and all those stuffs. Isn't it that company that matters? I mean, if I replace replace the 2 Samsung 1 GB DDR3 RAM modules with a Corsair Vengeance 4 GB DDR3, will that be a better performer?

Please post picture of your cabinet with PSU. Cause most branded desktop makers make their own PSUs also which are like a tall version of laptop bricks not like ATX PSUs we find in market.
Will do that by today evening

Top Bottom