Overclocking Athlon II X4 630.

ajai5777

Youngling
I am OCing it with default HSF.I tried 3.4 ghz ( 243 x 14) and adjusted HT link and memory according to that.I left voltage to default 1.36 it reached a max of 1.38.It ran fine and showed huge performance increase in benchmarks.
Its 38*C idle and 50+ in games.But when I ran prime 95 temp rised to near 70
then i turned it off.But what does it mean.? Isnt it stable? Or that much stress wont come in gaming and real life apps..?

I am really impressed with 3.4ghz so I still keep that and in a safe side, I have put the turn off temp to 70*C in bios.
I have heard that if we put voltage to auto, board will send more voltage to OCed proccy so that its get overheated.I am afraid to play with voltages.
Tell me how to set proper voltage to reduce heating.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
I am OCing it with default HSF.I tried 3.4 ghz ( 243 x 14) and adjusted HT link and memory according to that.I left voltage to default 1.36 it reached a max of 1.38.It ran fine and showed huge performance increase in benchmarks.
Its 38*C idle and 50+ in games.But when I ran prime 95 temp rised to near 70
then i turned it off.But what does it mean.? Isnt it stable? Or that much stress wont come in gaming and real life apps..?

I am really impressed with 3.4ghz so I still keep that and in a safe side, I have put the turn off temp to 70*C in bios.
I have heard that if we put voltage to auto, board will send more voltage to OCed proccy so that its get overheated.I am afraid to play with voltages.
Tell me how to set proper voltage to reduce heating.

3.4Ghz is close to the upper limit. better stick to 3.2-3.3Ghz. also u did the right thing by now playing with voltage. increase voltage + stock HSF = trouble. remember. increase voltage only when u using an OEM HSF. also Athlon II's OC potential doesn't change when increasing voltage. seldom they touch 3.5Ghz, that also when adding voltage.

my suggestion is simple. back the speed to 3.2Ghz & drop the voltage as low as possible. than try Prime95 & a few heavy games. u should see a huge drop in temperature.

Piyush

Lanaya
hey nice thread buddy
will surely help most of us (who r buying this proccy)
and do make sure to keep it alive

regarding ur experience
lower it a bit(speed)
we dont want to have any trouble with it

or change the stock cooler and enjoy the ratings

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
hey nice thread buddy
will surely help most of us (who r buying this proccy)
and do make sure to keep it alive

regarding ur experience
lower it a bit(speed)
we dont want to have any trouble with it

most of the review centers, who OC X4 6** with default heatsink, were able to reach 3.2-3.45Ghz. not bad for a Rs.4500 proccy. i'll rather tell impressive.

or change the stock cooler and enjoy the ratings

in day to day computing or gaming, hardly any difference. only if some heavy benchmark tried the OEM HSF will come into play.

Piyush

Lanaya
^^totally agree with ya
anyways
i'm just waiting for my xams to get over(abhi to start bhi nai huye,kal se hein....lol)

OP
ajai5777

ajai5777

Youngling
I wondered when I got better performance marks in passmarks performance test in 3.4Ghz.Also there wasnt any crashes for any applications and games.Problem was only with prime 95.Then I tried 3.3,3.2 and finally default 2.8.Even in default, temperatures head to 70 in prime 95.I think its not optimised to newrer proccys or it might be a proccy heating application:razz:

I ran another application based on test with 8lac iterations the same to prime 95.But the temperatures were stable in 58*C.

Now I am running in 3.4Ghz with a passmark CPU rating of 3446.
What about a Cooler master Hyper TX3 in my proocy..? Can I reach 3.5?

OP
ajai5777

ajai5777

Youngling
The Test in prime95 is :-
800000 Lucas-Lehmer iterations of M172031 using 8K FFT length.

I have done the same test in Orthos Stress Prime 2004 for 20 mins.Temperatures went upto 58 and stayed between 55-58.
That means Athlon II X4 630 is stable @ 3.4 Ghz in default HSF.
Also one thing, if I run prime 95 for 20 min The proccy will be blown:razz:

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
^^totally agree with ya
anyways
i'm just waiting for my xams to get over(abhi to start bhi nai huye,kal se hein....lol)

mine starts from this saturday.

tomorrow u got exam & today u discussing problems here. u broken even my record :lol:

I wondered when I got better performance marks in passmarks performance test in 3.4Ghz.Also there wasnt any crashes for any applications and games.Problem was only with prime 95.Then I tried 3.3,3.2 and finally default 2.8.Even in default, temperatures head to 70 in prime 95.I think its not optimised to newrer proccys or it might be a proccy heating application:razz:

I ran another application based on test with 8lac iterations the same to prime 95.But the temperatures were stable in 58*C.

Now I am running in 3.4Ghz with a passmark CPU rating of 3446.
What about a Cooler master Hyper TX3 in my proocy..? Can I reach 3.5?

prime95 stretches all 4 cores. such a rise in temperature is obvious but not sure if its a bit too high.

^^may be
but its useless to spend on the cooler and then get 100mhz boost

i agree. 100Mhz. or say max 200Mhz with that cooler. total wastage of money.

OP
ajai5777

ajai5777

Youngling

tomorrow u got exam & today u discussing problems here. u broken even my record :lol:

Me 2 got exam tomorrow afternoon, supli from the 3rd semester-Thermodynamics.
I am trying overclocking here:-D Need to study from now.Atleast 4 modules.out of 5.
2 modules today and 2 tomorrow.

Piyush

Lanaya

kya karu??
the subject is Soft Computing(in other words...it sux)
u wont believe that a student of computer science have to go through structure of brain,its working,Charles Darwin theories,DNA,chromosomes,mutation,..all that stuff

---------- Post added at 01:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:58 PM ----------

I am trying overclocking here:-D Need to study from now.Atleast 4 modules.out of 5.
at least u have got a reason to do so
"thermo"dynamics somewhat deals with overclocking:lol:

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod

ok all the best. both OC & exam. in exam don't mistakenly write how to OC a processor when asking about increasing efficiancy in a Carnot heat engine :lol:

kya karu??
the subject is Soft Computing(in other words...it sux)
u wont believe that a student of computer science have to go through structure of brain,its working,Charles Darwin theories,DNA,chromosomes,mutation,..all that stuff

hahahaha. never knew such a subject exist. hope i don't have to face same fate as u. u2 all the best.

first day morning i got Accountancy & Sociology. hope they ask something about "ram purchasing a pc, etc". and in latter they should ask "how to bargain when buying a pc".

& in afternoon is the ultimate subject i came across. Communication skills. just hoping they won't ask something like this "how to propose a girl?" :rofl: else i am on spot fail.

Last edited:

Piyush

Lanaya
ok all the best. both OC & exam. in exam don't mistakenly write how to OC a processor when asking about increasing efficiancy in a Carnot heat engine :lol:
yup
:lol:

hahahaha. never knew such a subject exist. hope i don't have to face same fate as u. u2 all the best.
rest of the chapters are cool
one of them is artificial intelligence:cool:

& in afternoon is the ultimate subject i came across. Communication skills. just hoping they won't ask something like this "how to propose a girl?" :rofl: else i am on spot fail.
hey dont worry
farrey kaam aayenge:lol:

prasath_digit

prasath->loves(APPLE);
whats the default speed of the Athlon II X4 630?. Besides 3.4Ghz is very impressive for a CPU which costs Rs.4500/-. :wow:

wat mobo ur using? :wave:

OP
ajai5777

ajai5777

Youngling
whats the default speed of the Athlon II X4 630?. Besides 3.4Ghz is very impressive for a CPU which costs Rs.4500/-. :wow:

wat mobo ur using? :wave:

Its 2.8 Ghz.That means 21% overclock in the default HSF itself.
My mobo is Biostar TA785G3 HD.
I had even tried L3 unlocking.Unfortunately its a propus not a disabled deneb.

happy20b

Journeyman
@OP

Even i want to overclock my x4 630.. you can find my system config in signature. Even i am using stock HSF

I have few questions for you.

1] What voltage you have set in bios ? mine is auto and i know it is not gud to set it to auto during overclock .

2] Which software you use for checking cpu temperature ? I am using amd overdrive.

3] Have you applied thermal paste to ur cpu?

finally , are you trying to ovecrclock builting graphics card as well ?

Thanks

OP
ajai5777

ajai5777

Youngling
@OP

Even i want to overclock my x4 630.. you can find my system config in signature. Even i am using stock HSF

I have few questions for you.

1] What voltage you have set in bios ? mine is auto and i know it is not gud to set it to auto during overclock .

2] Which software you use for checking cpu temperature ? I am using amd overdrive.

finally , are you trying to ovecrclock builting graphics card as well ?

Thanks

1. I use auto and its working well.1.36 in normal and 1.38 under load.No problem of overvoltage and heating.

2.I use cpuid'd HWmonitor

3.I havnt done anything like that.

I dont want to overclock my GPU now.Main prob is that its sitting close to the nearby PCI card so cooling is less but its one with arctic cooler.

---------- Post added at 05:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:05 PM ----------

If you ask about stability I would say its stable.
I have done some stress tests to test the OC.
The results of prime 95 and orthos stress prime are already discussed.I would like to share another observation.I played NFS Shift for half an hour and suddenly checked the temperatures.It was 55.

P.S Prime 95 is not a stress test; the name itself is torture test.:crazy:

---------- Post added at 05:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:20 PM ----------

I read somewhere that games and other apps cant be used to test the stability of the OC.Because all cores are not stressed continuously.We need proper stress tests to ensure safety for future.

According to that I ran Linx in 3.4Ghz.After some time it crashed:unsure:
Then I realised that its not stable.(sorry for giving wrong info early)

Then I brought it down to 3.3 and ran Linx for 10 min.It stayed between 61-65 stable with out any crashes.

Considering the max operating temp of the proccy (72) it seems quiet stable for a stress test.So I am fixing to 3.3Ghz.

Still the 18% OC seems good.

Piyush

Lanaya
^^hey sometimes the testing softwares also seem to be faulty
i've heard many cases where one proccy was declared stable amd in other test it crashed at same speed

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
so the Athlon II X4 630 has an L3 cache tats disabled at default? why are they disabling the caches while releasing the CPUs? :x

what ajai mentioned earlier is his X4 is based on propus die, not daneb. propus = no L3 cache. daneb = L3 cache. so he his proccy got no L3 cache. where can he unlock it than?

^^hey sometimes the testing softwares also seem to be faulty
i've heard many cases where one proccy was declared stable amd in other test it crashed at same speed

mostly are build for Intel proccies. so a few may crash on AMD. nothing strange or so.

I dont want to overclock my GPU now.Main prob is that its sitting close to the nearby PCI card so cooling is less but its one with arctic cooler.

forget the PCI Card. your card got arctic cooler. use MSI Afterburner & ramp up the core clock & memory speed. also push fan to its highest possible value.

Still the 18% OC seems good.

18-30% OC on a 4500 processor. add to it u using default heatsink. what more u want? :smile:

1. as you still using the X4 620 with default cooler, lower voltage or keep it like that. upp voltage when u in mood of eating some Tandoori processor :-D

also will like to mention, X4 620 OC should be about 100Mhz shy of X4 630. so as ajai able take his processor till 3.4Ghz, u better stick to 3.2Ghz as upper safety limit.

2. Overdrive is good enough

rest of the chapters are cool
one of them is artificial intelligence:cool:

will get it on 5th semester.

Top Bottom