Over Heating after upgrading to amd ccc 10.12 beta

detoknight

Broken In
I use an ATI radeonHD 5850

Untill yesterday, I was using ati ccc 10.9. My idle temp @ 40% fan speed would be 38 degree celcius.

After i installed AMD ccc 10.12 beta, under the same fan speed and the same settings the ideal temp is at 50.

I am pretty sure it is bcause of the new driver. (i have not done any changes in hardware or software other than install amd ccc beta)
What do i do

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
clean cabinet
install old drivers

use software like speed fan,open hardware monitor and put results wid screenshot here

OP
detoknight

detoknight

Broken In
It is the driver. Try 11.1, is good.

I am not able to find a direct download link from amd. I also saw the release notes & it does not seem to do anything for 5xxxx series but only boosts performance for 6xxxx series.
I am downloading it anyway (from an external link) & let you know the results.

OP
detoknight

detoknight

Broken In
clean cabinet
install old drivers

use software like speed fan,open hardware monitor and put results wid screenshot here

The cabinet is very clean
I have attached the screen shot of the new catalyst control center (10.12)
you can see that the fan is at 40% speed & the temp is at 50 c (i am not running any graphic intensive app at all- it is at idle state).

In 10.9 it used to be around 38c ( only increased when i run games)

Morover , i dont want to switch to the old ccc. I like the new preset features and hotkeys for them. They are very useful for changing fan speed, clock settings, etc with just pressing hotkeys.

OP
detoknight

detoknight

Broken In
maybe 50 percent for new driver is less than what was 50 for old driver

No, both use the same ATI overdrive.
Morover, i can tell by the noise the fan is making. ( i always change fan speeds when i play games)

Any way i have uninstalled it and returned to my old driver
The temp returned to normal
I have attached the screenshot(one with the reinstalled old driver)

I have decided to wait, till a more stable version is released. 10.12 is still in beta and its coming out on 26th.

I was finally able to finish the last level in BFBC 2 with the new driver.
There was a bug with the old one, where the game crashed on the last level.
I am happy now.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
"maybe" the new driver increased the graphics card core voltage so the increase in temperature but usually this needs a bios update.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^^
Probably not changed the core voltage. Just that the temperature vs. fan speed ratios are different in driver releases.

Top Bottom