Ordered Nokia 5800 From Ebay..Custom Department Delhi not releasing it...Pls help...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sushantvirdi

Journeyman
I oredered a Nokia 5800 From ebay.com Now when i track the item it shows me this:

Class: Express Mail International®

Your item is being processed by customs in INDIA. Information, if available, is updated periodically throughout the day. Please check again later.

Detailed Results:

Into Foreign Customs, July 10, 2009, 11:34 am, INDIA
Into Foreign Customs, July 10, 2009, 9:50 am, INDIA
Arrived Abroad, July 10, 2009, 9:44 am, INDIA
International Dispatch, July 07, 2009, 10:08 pm, ISC NEW YORK NY(USPS)
Arrival
Processed through Sort Facility, July 06, 2009, 6:38 pm, LANHAM, MD 20706
Electronic Shipping Info Received, July 06, 2009

Now t has been 5 days and still the item is with the customs department.. I am getting worried...what should i do now? The seller has declared the actual value of the cellphone and not as a gift..so nothing illegal has been done on his part...but what should i do now??

Regards..

din

Tribal Boy
Re: Ordered Nokia 5800 From Ebay..Custom Department Delhi not releasing it...Pls help

I think it will take more time.

One of my clients sent a gift last year (Jewelry). It took a lot of time, I thought its missed, he had insurance on that, so was not worried too much.

Later it came, and it was all open. He packed it very well, like 3 or 4 sets, all were open but (luckily?) the item reached my hands safely.

I am not very sure whether electronics items processing is different, but I think it will take more time.

montsa007

~Bulletproof Monk~
Re: Ordered Nokia 5800 From Ebay..Custom Department Delhi not releasing it...Pls help

I import a lot of things from ebay (ebay uk)
I never had to visit the customs department coz the parcel always comes home by postman & i never paid a penny on duties. Sometimes the parcels get delayed (due to customs people people playing pata pata poon poon with the packet, they do open it & repack it with indian foreign parcel tapes) & attach some sort of paper & put an invoice like thing on which you've to sign.

Make sure the thing you buy doesnt cost over 10k rupees, else customs will surely come into your romantic movie as a villian, altough 5 of my parcels got misplaced till date, but hey i got 30+ of them :) as for the missing i pay by paypal so claiming a refund always worked (provided your paypal account is based on real information, i mean if it gets limited you can provide electric bill etc etc)

As for the customs part, i asked my postman visiting local post office on 27th June
me : Mera parcel nahi aaya, 1st June ko dispatch kia tha
PM : aa jayega
me : par abhi ek mahina ho gaya hai?
PM : kahaka parcel hai?
me : uk ka
PM : customs mein hoga, humlog ke paas jo bhi ata hai hum pahuncha dete hai, customs is beyond our control

Its not once but i visited them thrice, so the post office cannot do anything about the customs. either you'll get the parcel with an invoice (possibly you have to pay duties, am not sure how much and through what mode because i never paid it, so am clueless on it)
Even the seller cant do anything because he cannot control customs, his responsibility gets over once he ships it, and if its insured he is responsible to get u back the refund. since in ur case its with the customs, its not misplaced.
either wait for a few more days or get hold of a clearing agent, he'll act as a savior in your story.
Good Luck

OP
S

sushantvirdi

Journeyman

I have been buying goods fron ebay (us) since 5 years but never had this kind of problem..the item price is above 200usd..what are clearing agents? If i do not get my item whom should i contact? Is there anything i can do frm here..i am really getting worried..

montsa007

~Bulletproof Monk~

Depends how the item is coming to you, how you've paid. I told you i've faced even 1 months delays sometimes.
If its coming by postal service there is little you can do, just contact the seller in case the parcel was insured. If it was courier contact them directly?
A clearing agent is the one who has physical (ehm ehm) relations with customs department. He can see them in person and bribe you out of trouble.
Just a tip always pay by paypal.
And i don't know why you bought a phone. Its easily prone to customs people lusty eyes. They can even steal it, not scaring you i've been a victim, so pay by paypal only...and as far as possible ask someone to carry it for you, save on customs hehe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom