OPENSUSE 10.3 - not able to login

Status
Not open for further replies.

motobuntu

Journeyman
I'm newbie to linux, I've installed open suse from the nov. dvd, during installation it showed error in copying few files (now, i don't remember the name of those files) & I skipped those files, and during the installation it had not asked me about the user name and password, and after the installation when the system restarted, it is asking for username and password at the login screen and I'm clueless. tried entring root as username and password as blank also.

I've tried by restarting in recovery mode and changing the password from command prompt using 'PWD', current password, blank, it showed password for 'root' changed successfully, but after restarting again at the login screen it gets stuck.

Please help

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Looks like your kde is broken. Am afraid you'll have to get a good SuSE cd/dvd from a LUG near you.
See here
*wikiwikiweb.de/LugsList

OP
motobuntu

motobuntu

Journeyman
NucleusKore said:
Looks like your kde is broken. Am afraid you'll have to get a good SuSE cd/dvd from a LUG near you.
See here
*wikiwikiweb.de/LugsList
so do i have to reinstall OPENSUSE, btw thanx for reply

I've found a LUG in my area, will try to get a fresh disk

Last edited:

praka123

left this forum longback
root login may not be enabled.check kdm(login screen) for options to allow administrator(root) to login.

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
motobuntu said:
so do i have to reinstall OPENSUSE, btw thanx for reply

I've found a LUG in my area, will try to get a fresh disk

Before reinstall.... Boot from the CD, when you are asked if you want a new installation or update, there is one more option to repair the installed system.

It is not like windows console repair system. It checks for faults and corrects them itself. Try that.

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Actually I do not advice the repair, yes its there but I haven't found it useful. Also in this case the media appears to be defective

OP
motobuntu

motobuntu

Journeyman
aditya.shevade said:
Before reinstall.... Boot from the CD, when you are asked if you want a new installation or update, there is one more option to repair the installed system.

It is not like windows console repair system. It checks for faults and corrects them itself. Try that.

Tried even that, buts it's of no use, Nucleus is right, that'll not work because the problem seems to be with media

praka123 said:
root login may not be enabled.check kdm(login screen) for options to allow administrator(root) to login.

please tell, how to enable root login.

Last edited:

praka123

left this forum longback
heh!some Opensuse user out here!tell me if suse uses KDM or GDM(Gnome Display manager).if it is GDM it will be lot easier(atleast for me to explain!)

KDM is K desktop manager.it is that login prompt that pops up everytime after suse loads.I dont use suse or kde,but i think suse uses KDM.In the bottom of KDM screen,there will be a menu option.search it for allowing local admin to login or something similar.enable it and try login as root.once as root in kde,u can fire yast2 manager to make ur local user account.next time onwards use as local user.
If KDM fails,then try below method.

==using terminal==
*www.mepis.org/docs/en/index.php/Fixing_No_Root_Login_for_KDM
^when suse loaded KDM(the gui login prompt),press CTRL+ALT+F1 to get a virtual console.login there as root and with ur password.when u enter password nothing is shown and cursor will not be moving.press enter after entering passwd for a "#" root prompt(administrator).there u edit as per the link i gave.

PS:If u have forgot root passwd,reset it as i think u know how to do it.else boot from livecd,mount opensuse partition,edit the files mentioned as root in a terminal.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom