OpenSuSE 10.2 and avi files problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
Hi

I have installed opensuse 10.2 and plenty of codecs available to play media files. But still, when it comes to playing avi files, some of them cannot be played.

I use VLC for viewing the videos, but for some avi files, there is audio and some crippled lines on the screen.

Is there any reason for this? And more important.. is there any workaround? I mean, not all the files have this problem, only some do. Rest are working fine.

Aditya

dissel

Cyborg Agent
As I am noob in SUSE 10.2....don't know much.

here is my list of codec which I install via Yast--> Software Management

1.VLC All option [Search Field - VLC]
2.xinelib - 1 [Search Field - XINE]
3.gstreamer ugly - 10 & related plugin [Search Field - gstreamer]
4.W32 Codec [Search Field - W32]
5.xmms & xine media player (optional)

No need to Install debug info , documentation, developing file of the codec.

After that I can play anything in my SUSE

If you install all above then your .avi is corrupted.

OP
aditya.shevade

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
I will try and reinstall Mplayer.... as for win32 codecs, I just did, no change... some files play fine, rest do not.

umm... I reinstalled mplayer. Now it doesn't even open. It says that font face had some problem. And I tried playing the file on my friends laptop with opensuse 10.2 and it played there as well.

On my system however, it does not play in kaffine, totem, nautum (or something like that), xine, VLC.... and in avidemux, I can see the video, but no audio available.....

Aditya

Last edited:

phreak0ut

The Thread Killer >:)
thought I was the only one. Well, I recently tried it on Kaffiene and it showed a message that though there might be few glitches, it should play fine and it DID!! I still don't know what fixed it. The icon preview still those slant jagged lines, but the video plays fine. I'll try to find what's the solution and let you know soon. By that time, try adding these to your yast repo and see if the update works

phreak0ut

The Thread Killer >:)
Hey don't give up on linux so easily. You need a bit of patience to learn. Just screwed up my monitor display :D Will fix it, with some help of members here :D

OP
aditya.shevade

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
^^ I just said that. I am not doing that. What happened here, is that the computer menu suddenly crashed, and internet as well. I tried all that I could and then reinstalled the OS.

AVI's still don't work :-(

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Something to do with codecs. My knowledge of codecs and stuff is really low.
I don't know but how but there were a couple of vids I had encountered in the past which wouldn't work on mplayer or vlc but worked fine on gxine. I don't know if it will work for you or not but I am sure this isn't a good way as we aren't getting to the actual problem. The best way to solve it is to find out what codec is being used here exactly.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
eddie it looks more like a codec problem to me but it is possible that what you're saying maybe correct too.
I looked up on google and saw that avi is just a container format. So, we need to find more info about the file. You can use some tool like avinfo to find out more info about the file. That may help in getting where the trouble is.

eddie

El mooooo
I understand what you are saying. Its just that his VLC symptoms are similar to what I see on my system with AIGLX and XVideo.

OP
aditya.shevade

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
Thanks eddie. It was in fact XGL what was causing this problem. I disabled it, and there it was, the playback began as smooth as it can.

I was wondering... I have installed all the codecs that I was able to find, for video playback.... Confusing.

Aditya

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom