Not open for further replies.
OP
azzu

azzu

AJJU
Re: %::::: Open Source :::::%

^^ Faraaz bhai Installed Mint and iam lovin it
its much based on Ubuntu
as some one told on the thread Mint is a Ubuntu with few Multimedia codecs and softwares

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
Re: %::::: Open Source :::::%

avikchaks said:
Everything working . Will post in " post your desktop section theme " ..time for some modding ..
Btw , anybody wanting to use X1200 series cards ( mine is X1250) for compiz fusion, go download the latest ATI drivers for linux from AMD site . After that I needed no xgl .. nothing no modding with Xorg . Native resolution is automatically selected and i get to use compiz .

Mint I think just has codecs . Rest nothing extra as compared to Ubuntu AFAIK :neutral:
Linux Mint is an Ubuntu-based distribution whose goal is to provide a more complete out-of-the-box experience by including browser plugins, media codecs, support for DVD playback, Java and other components. It is compatible with Ubuntu software repositories.
mint has lots of thing different than Ubuntu.
  • It offers out of the box experience which Ubuntu does not give.
  • It has a Different look and feel than ubuntu, the artwork is on darker side which is good according to me
  • It also has some uniquie tools which are not present in ubuntu, but the downside it these tools have a lot of bugs
  • As it as some closed Software also so it is not fully open source like Ubuntu is :(

Package list of linux mint

*distrowatch.com/images/icon-large/mint.png
Clement Lefebvre has announced the availability of the first beta release of Linux Mint 4.0, code name "Daryna", now based on the recently released Ubuntu 7.10: "The first release candidate for Linux Mint 4.0 Daryna is out and available for download. What's new in Daryna? With mintUpdate you can now get automatic updates without compromising the stability of your system. And a new frontend to mintInstall now allows you to search the portal directly from your desktop. mintInstall itself was also made more intuitive and improvements were made to its interface. mintDesktop got major improvements in terms of usability and now has an extra-feature which lets you restore the default splash-screens for OpenOffice.org, GIMP and Amarok."
*linuxmint.com/rel_daryna_b21.php

Last edited:

avikchaks

Ex-KGB
Im using amd64 version of Gutsy. How do I verify the packages I'm downloading are 64 bit or 32 bit ?

Are the Update manager and Synaptic going to download 32 bit or 64 bit packages ?

Thanx

OP
azzu

azzu

AJJU
During Boot
after selecting mint in GRUB the monitor go's Blank
and then when i clik Ctrl+f1 (or alt ??) i can see the loadin screen
is there isnt any automated option ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom