On which programe to open the .exe file

Status
Not open for further replies.

toofan

Technomancer
friends i had make a mistake and I changed my one .exe file to open with notepad.Now all the exe files are opening in notepad. Which programme should i chose to open them the default way.
Its creating a lot of problems.

I restarted my pc and now most of the services are starting at note pad like apachi sever, spy bot, avast etc. help soon. this time I am using my office pc.

Last edited:

paroh

Padawan
hope this help

Code:
*rapidshare.com/files/160534660/xp_exe_fix.reg.html
NOTE

First try to double click on it to merge the registry file

If your EXE file associations are corrupted, it can be difficult to open REGEDIT, or to even import REG files. To work around this, press CTRL-ALT-DEL and open Task Manager. Once there, click File, then hold down the CTRL key and click New Task (Run). This will open a Command Prompt window. Enter REGEDIT.EXE and press Enter.

Always use firefox extension for safe web browsing download this
Code:
*rapidshare.com/files/160537928/Firefox_Extensions.rar

Last edited:

swatkat

Technomancer
boot a live linux cd,
rm -rf /media/windows/
itll solve the issue :p
make sure its mounted :D

Then how would he run all his executables (.exe)?? Wine?? ;) As Rohan said, this is a troubleshooting section and not a place for the same old boring *Nix vs Windows war.

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero
boot a live linux cd,
rm -rf /media/windows/
itll solve the issue :p
make sure its mounted :D
Wtf man?! Please never suggest this kind especially to non-regulars of Linux. You have been *warned* which upon ignoring will lead to a ban.

@OP, don't try it.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Originally Posted by hullap *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/images/Blue/buttons/viewpost.gif
boot a live linux cd,
rm -rf /media/windows/
itll solve the issue :razz:
make sure its mounted :grin:
What kind of a cheap rate help is this? you are a disgrace to this forum. Thanks for your helping hand. :mad:
@Others: the command given by hullap will completely delete the content of the windows folder if its mounted.
I had so much respect to this member, but its now in gutter.

Shame on this member.

I really dunno how to help...but it looks like file associations have been messed up. Why dont you try System Restore..?
@hullap
You have been a bad member....no donut for you...

OP
toofan

toofan

Technomancer
This change in opening of exe files in notepad is not done by any virus. I had done this myself. I changed a CoD2 patch.exe to open with notepad but forget to unmark the option "always open this type of files with this programme".

this has created the whole problem.

@ paroao the rapidshare file you suggested doesn't helped me but the next suggestion you game me to open the task manager by ctlr+alt+del and then the command prompt gave me the IDEA to restore the system by oppeing the rstrui.exe file which was opeining in note pad from the windows.

But after restoring some folders get renamed as (2) eg. my apachi2.2 folder get another folder with name apachi2(2).2 and its most of the folders are changed same way too.

so I have to do some configuration to work my PHP, MySql, Apachi.

@neucleusKore I got your reply very late. i did this restoration last night when I did not found any other way to solve it.

thanks guys

but we should have a definite solution to this problem as it may happen to others also so keep discussing.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
This should help:
*support.microsoft.com/kb/555067

Also, please stop playing with your machine:p

Amir.php

Flying Visitor
Just goto:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/.exe
double click on .exe node and in the left pane change its default string value to exefile. restart.
Now all this should work normal.:idea:

Last edited:
OP
toofan

toofan

Technomancer
I think I did a bit hurry to restore my system . Its creating now a lot of problems. Many programmes are not working.

Now I will test these solution in my virtual pc.

hullap

Cyborg Agent
Then how would he run all his executables (.exe)?? Wine?? ;) As Rohan said, this is a troubleshooting section and not a place for the same old boring *Nix vs Windows war.

Wtf man?! Please never suggest this kind especially to non-regulars of Linux. You have been *warned* which upon ignoring will lead to a ban.

@OP, don't try it.

What kind of a cheap rate help is this? you are a disgrace to this forum. Thanks for your helping hand. :mad:
@Others: the command given by hullap will completely delete the content of the windows folder if its mounted.
I had so much respect to this member, but its now in gutter.

Shame on this member.

I really dunno how to help...but it looks like file associations have been messed up. Why dont you try System Restore..?
@hullap
You have been a bad member....no donut for you...

actually i never wanted him to do this,
you guys dont know why i did it :|

Ontopic
*www.askvg.com/solution-exe-files-always-open-with-notepad-or-other-applications/

Krazy Bluez

Banned to Spam
hope this help

Code:
*rapidshare.com/files/160534660/xp_exe_fix.reg.html
NOTE

First try to double click on it to merge the registry file

If your EXE file associations are corrupted, it can be difficult to open REGEDIT, or to even import REG files. To work around this, press CTRL-ALT-DEL and open Task Manager. Once there, click File, then hold down the CTRL key and click New Task (Run). This will open a Command Prompt window. Enter REGEDIT.EXE and press Enter.

Always use firefox extension for safe web browsing download this
Code:
*rapidshare.com/files/160537928/Firefox_Extensions.rar

Thanks man for the command prompt trick, didn't knew this was possible....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom