Official Windows 10 Thread: Installation and Issues (check first post)

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm using Samsung 850 Evo 250GB on my laptop.

I see a black screen for a very long time between the Windows 10 boot animation and the User login screen. What to do?

Boot time is very slow in comparison to Windows 7 and it doesn't feel like I'm using a SSD at all. Applications also start a bit slower, not as slow as on a HDD but Windows 7 on this SSD was amazing. Windows 10? Not anymore.

For a 2Mbps speed it takes nearly 3~3.5 hrs in BSNL broadband line.
Depending upon local conditions,line noise,etc. Since speed does'nt remain all along the same as 2Mbps, mind that.

ARE YOU ON A BSNL BROADBAND????????????
You downloaded from windows update or iso ?

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends

I see a black screen for a very long time between the Windows 10 boot animation and the User login screen. What to do?

Boot time is very slow in comparison to Windows 7 and it doesn't feel like I'm using a SSD at all. Applications also start a bit slower, not as slow as on a HDD but Windows 7 on this SSD was amazing. Windows 10? Not anymore.
Strange, boot time is almost half of what I had on my old machine and this is just my normal HDD machine. Maybe do a clean install & try? I guess it's just too much to do and beats the purpose of "updating" the first place.

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ

Many have similar problem.

Download and install latest gpu drivers from amd/nvidia.
Defragment

Wait for the latest updates coming next week Service Release 1.

Try this too - Solved Fix for windows 10 booting to a black screen - Windows 10 Forums

How to fix this
firstly wait long enough so the mouse cursor to appear when you move the mouse.
(blank screen with a white mouse cursor)

Then press the space-bar and enter your login password or pin (yes your doing this blind)

You should now be logged into windows
if the desktop dose not appear after 30 seconds then press WindowsKey-P down arrow twice and enter.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Many have similar problem.

Download and install latest gpu drivers from amd/nvidia.
Defragment

Wait for the latest updates coming next week Service Release 1.

Try this too - Solved Fix for windows 10 booting to a black screen - Windows 10 Forums
I'm using the latest drivers. Catalyst 15.7. Plus, this is a fresh install. Still the same problem.

Not advisable to defragment on a SSD. Not needed as well. :p

gopi_vbboy

Cyborg Agent
Pic.. or it didn't happen. I wish you knew about it before!
How's BSOD in Win 10? Just like Win 8 with a big sad smiley?
Yes it was same like win8 bsod

- - - Updated - - -

I did fresh install , power on and shutdown is faster than Win7.

Did you try installing old catalyst driver.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
I did fresh install , power on and shutdown is faster than Win7.

Did you try installing old catalyst driver.
I'm also on a fresh install with Catalyst 15.7.

btw turn off Fasboot Up and then you'll know which was actually faster. Fastboot up creates problem if you try to open partitions in Linux. I have it turned off.

Nexus

Broken In
Upgrade to Windows 10.0

Hello Guys n' Gals,
I have just upgraded Windows 7.0 Home to Windows 10.0 Home edition. Now as you all already know, its given free by Microsoft.

Till this point I am not experiencing any problems. In fact OS is sweet and sexy. Interface is changed little bit but feel is nice. Edge Browser certainly edges ahead of IE(again I have upgraded just now, some half an hour ago).

As I said I have upgraded and not formatted Windows 7 to Windows 10, so all data is intact. If you people have done this before, can you please inform me about any problems that I may face in future.

Here are some pics of Windows 10.0
win 10.1.jpgwin 10.3.jpgwin 10.2.png

nikufellow

In the zone

Same issue different laptop

Did a fresh install and all drivers are updated yet there is this annoying black screen .Have you found any solutions ?

m3110w

Right off the assembly line
Hi All, I plan to purchase a new laptop with Windows 8.1. Then I want to upgrade it to Windows 10. But I have a problem. I live in India and I use 3G cellular link for my internet. It is slow and unreliable and often drops out. The Win10 upgrade download is about 3-6GB. There's no way I could download this without my 3G cellular connection dropping out at some point.

Question: If I click on the system tray Win10 Upgrade icon and start the download and the download fails in the middle, can I resume the download without data loss? Does the Win10 upgrade download make it possible so that partially download data is saved in case connection is lost? I need the ability to resume the download without losing data in case my internet drops out.

Anyone have direct knowledge about this? If not, does anyone know a good place or good forum to post this question? Thanks,

Makx

Game on
Hi All, I plan to purchase a new laptop with Windows 8.1. Then I want to upgrade it to Windows 10. But I have a problem. I live in India and I use 3G cellular link for my internet. It is slow and unreliable and often drops out. The Win10 upgrade download is about 3-6GB. There's no way I could download this without my 3G cellular connection dropping out at some point.

Question: If I click on the system tray Win10 Upgrade icon and start the download and the download fails in the middle, can I resume the download without data loss? Does the Win10 upgrade download make it possible so that partially download data is saved in case connection is lost? I need the ability to resume the download without losing data in case my internet drops out.

Anyone have direct knowledge about this? If not, does anyone know a good place or good forum to post this question? Thanks,
you can download iso from here with download manager. *www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench

m3110w

you can download iso from here with download manager. *www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench

If I try to download the large ISO file with my slow and unreliable 3G dongle, my internet connection will fail before the download is complete. My question is will I lose all the data I downloaded and have to start over? Or can I resume the download from where I left off without losing the data?

Thanks

Flash

Lost in speed

Best option is torrent, if you can find the official one.

m3110w

An official Win10 Upgrade / ISO download torrent would be great. I did a google search and didn't find anything that looked like an "official" torrent. Do you have a link to this official torrent? Thanks,

amjath

Human Spambot
+1

Hello Guys n' Gals,
I have just upgraded Windows 7.0 Home to Windows 10.0 Home edition. Now as you all already know, its given free by Microsoft.

Till this point I am not experiencing any problems. In fact OS is sweet and sexy. Interface is changed little bit but feel is nice. Edge Browser certainly edges ahead of IE(again I have upgraded just now, some half an hour ago).

As I said I have upgraded and not formatted Windows 7 to Windows 10, so all data is intact. If you people have done this before, can you please inform me about any problems that I may face in future.

Here are some pics of Windows 10.0

Only guys only guys

sakumar79

Technomancer
Hi,
I have updated my laptop from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 last weekend. During this process, it had failed with first download and re-downloaded the entire setup files before it finally installed. Now, it is working fine...

Now, I need to update my dad's laptop with Windows 8.1, my wife's laptop with Windows 7 and a couple of desktops with Windows 8.1... To avoid the hassle of failed downloads and to reduce bandwidth usage, I am planning to use the Media Creation Tool from Microsoft for downloading and creating an ISO which I will burn to DVD and use to upgrade other systems.

Please confirm this is correct approach or not...

Thanks in advance,
Arun

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Hi,
I have updated my laptop from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 last weekend. During this process, it had failed with first download and re-downloaded the entire setup files before it finally installed. Now, it is working fine...

Now, I need to update my dad's laptop with Windows 8.1, my wife's laptop with Windows 7 and a couple of desktops with Windows 8.1... To avoid the hassle of failed downloads and to reduce bandwidth usage, I am planning to use the Media Creation Tool from Microsoft for downloading and creating an ISO which I will burn to DVD and use to upgrade other systems.

Please confirm this is correct approach or not...

Thanks in advance,
Arun

If you are planning on a clean install can you create the Windows 10 installation media on another machine and use that? Windows 10

Additional note: You may want to back up your system before you start the installation. A decent (free) option would be Veeam Endpoint Backup: Veeam Endpoint Backup Free for desktops and laptops (remember to make the recovery media!!)

Top Bottom