Official Samsung Spica Discussion Thread

amitabhishek

Bad to the bone
Okay, major problem :( .
My brother go Spica with 2.1 by default, he has following problems.

* GPRS is never off, how to turn that off. I can't help him on this matter as I don't have GPRS in my phone.

* If the phone is restarted, all contacts are lost.

*Please ask him to download apndroid application from the market. It can toggle GPRS on and off.
*Strange! He needs to login to any Google service via phone; once done all his contacts will sync with Google cloud and he wont loose contacts.

sriharsha_madineni

Cyborg Agent
Okay, major problem :( .
My brother go Spica with 2.1 by default, he has following problems.

* GPRS is never off, how to turn that off. I can't help him on this matter as I don't have GPRS in my phone.

* If the phone is restarted, all contacts are lost.

To turn GPRS off, download "Toggle Data" Widget from Market.

Regarding contacts, as Amitabhishek said, ask him to sync with google account first and then check if the same happens again.

sriharsha_madineni

Cyborg Agent
Hey guys, have you noticed the changes in Launcher Pro, dock now supports scrolling and numerous other changes were made in settings.

*img227.imageshack.us/img227/964/cap201006232110.jpg*img153.imageshack.us/img153/8697/cap201006232240.jpg

vulpine

Broken In
@harsha
thnx for that.... I am so happy with launcher pro that i forgot to check for updates:p...Installing now...!! gotto see hw exciting this will be....

ADW and launcher pro are literally spoiling us.

tgpraveen

Simpsons rox
oh i want froyo so bad.
give it Samsung or Leshak!

---------- Post added at 07:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:59 PM ----------

I'm not able to download mp3 and video files. It says "waiting for data

connection..." and after 4-5 mins it gives "Download unsuccessful"

message.

I'm using I5700 with 2.1 and having Airtel GPRS.

Any pointer?

i too am having the same prob. i think airtel have disabled downloads. or maybe the speed is so slow that system gives up.

amitabhishek

Bad to the bone
Did I read that right? You guys trying to download a song over GpRs??!!! Give humble gprs a break and switch to wifi.

vulpine

Broken In
@amitabhishek
An 8MB file aint a big deal on gprs. I tried to download a song from rapidshare link. But it was just not downloading, May be because rapidshare allows only one download per ip address I'm not sure. I downloaded same song from songs.pk and it donwloaded successfully. Took around 5-6mins though.

sachitgul

Journeyman
i saw this post on the "got 7.5k which phone" thread..

^ go for Nokia 5230 its still available in market AFAIK
and as of GPS iam usin it and its really awesome ( reception hinders in indoors and Cloudy days)

u gotta have active Gprs on ur phone to use nokia Ovi maps though it takes little data (its not a data intensive app)
and u can also use GPS without internet ,, like u fill in exact co-ordinates of the location u want to go , it"ll work as a compass ,
and also when going on a trip start gps and u"ll max speed , avg speed , total distance traveled will be recorded.
Its pretty much moore than usefull mate :)

can we use all of these features offline on our spica???
if yes then how??

LauncherPro knw has a icon in the app drawer which it didnt have before..
it also shows up in the task manager which it didnt before..
is this an issue or is the same for all of u guys??

also should i put apps like auto memory manager,market,contacts and handcent in the ignore list of task manager??

i have set auto memory manager to aggressive which kills most apps instantly when they are not in use..

for example market downloads dont start if they are in the background..
i have also seen that sometimes my contact names appear late when i call them..

vulpine

Broken In
can we use all of these features offline on our spica???
if yes then how??
Ofcourse, There's no reason why spica can't do all those things. U need to get hold of some GOOD offline maps app. I don't have much info. As Google maps is good enough for my needs and I have unlimited data plan. So, neva thought of alternatives.

LauncherPro knw has a icon in the app drawer which it didnt have before..
R u talking about "home" icon in app browser? u can remove it in options.

it also shows up in the task manager which it didnt before..
is this an issue or is the same for all of u guys??
Don't worry it shows in task manager. You need to exclude it if u want to "end all apps"

also should i put apps like auto memory manager,market,contacts and handcent in the ignore list of task manager??

Not needed. It's actually ur wish! For eg. I put HTC_IME in exclude list so that it opens fast.

i have set auto memory manager to aggressive which kills most apps instantly when they are not in use..

No idea. I don't use it.

akshayb

Broken In
I'm not able to download mp3 and video files. It says "waiting for data

connection..." and after 4-5 mins it gives "Download unsuccessful"

message.

I'm using I5700 with 2.1 and having Airtel GPRS.

Any pointer?

Download Opera mini 5 beta or ByteTornado from the market and try downloading from these browsers.

sriharsha_madineni

Cyborg Agent
Well Well Well Launcher Pro had a barge of updates this week, that was 4 updates this week if I remember it correct.

*img80.imageshack.us/img80/372/cap201007031954.jpg

Noticed anything :))

Look at the messages icon ;) , it now shows unread sms count, and as you already know, these dock shortcuts can be customized to your taste now, even the icons can be changed

Also the interface is much much fluid now and I've noticed several minor changes, the icon grid seems to have changed, looks quite good now :)

sriharsha_madineni

Cyborg Agent
Can u please tell me which home screen widget u r using....?

thanx in advance
Are you asking about the clock widget???? If yes, then its "Sense analog clock widget".

@All

Launcher pro had another 2 updates in the last two days again ;). More improvements and functionality :)

vulpine

Broken In
I wanted to test GPS on my spica for the very first time yesterday. So, I pulled out my phone opened Google maps and searched directions to 'Kachiguda'.(Rly station). Was going there to drop some Athithis. We started at 5pm.And it was just 1hr before dep. time.:p

The regular route, I always take is busy. So, I calculated different route via narayanguda. I never traveled via this route before. So,I completely relied on my spica.

5PM:We wer all set, But Spica is taking a lot of time to lock on to GPS

5:07: It's still taking its own sweet time( Weather ws cloudy and partially raining) Athithis were already complaining!

5:10: Switched off GPS. Still I wanted to take new route relying only on mobile networks to test the luck of my athithis:grin:.
It shows location pretty accurately that took me by a surprise( offset of 5-7m). So finally Took off.Gave the phone to cousin sitting beside me to hold.:))( As I don't have a Windshield holder like thing)

5:20: The present location ws updating. What I had to do was keep the dot on the route to be taken.

5:30: New route that I took was not main road and so not as busy.

Mean while athithis got a good topic to start a GD "Technology and its uses".

5:45: At the destination 15 min in advance. Thumbs up to spica.

After reaching the station my uncle gave me a shocker
"The train is at 7pm. We know about you that's why we said the train is at 6pm":shock:

Passed an hour there, playing with GPS. It took nearly 10 min to lock
Returned via same route with out the help of maps now.

sakumar79

Technomancer
Is it possible to use the GPS maps offline (download the maps through computer and view on the mobile) to avoid data usage on the mobile?

Arun

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
I wanted to test GPS on my spica for the very first time yesterday. So, I pulled out my phone opened Google maps and searched directions to 'Kachiguda'.(Rly station).

I used my Spica GPS to reach to a Company location for a interview (few weeks ago). I did not know the way, all depended on Spica.

Got there :D , Got selected :D

GPS = Win = Offer letter :D

---------- Post added at 02:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:24 PM ----------

Is it possible to use the GPS maps offline (download the maps through computer and view on the mobile) to avoid data usage on the mobile?

Arun

Yes you can use it offline, Just use some offline map software, or cache google maps till the destination before leaving home (i do it all time).

Also guys please suggest me some good offline map software, I tried MapDroyd and it sucks (gives my location in Saudi Arabia instead of pune :|).

vulpine

Broken In
@tarey
Ya these maps r really helpful.
@sakumar
You can use offline maps softwares there are many out there. but paid ones are really good i heard. Mapmyindia also has an android app. their maps are pretty accurate.
But nothing beats google maps :thumbsup:
Caching before u leave is also a way as tarey said, But zooming is a problem.

I used to have an app called mgmaps in my old phone which can be used to view google maps stored in sd card. ya U can store gmaps on sd card. Neva tried their android app tho.
As i hv a data plan,never thot of an alternative to gmaps. All im waiting for is google's navigation to be available in india

Incredible Hulk

Hulk Smash!
can someone tell me why is every1 singing praises of this phone and why does it have a whole thread dedicated to it? I have never heard of anyone mention this phone apart from ppl here at digit. What's so special about this phone? I was planning to buy this phone after reading a lot of +ve reviews here and also since it seemed to fit my budget. But honestly none of friends or anyone I have ever known has any clue about this phone. Even samsung doesnt advertise this phone as much as it advertises it's other models. Now recently I read it somewhere that this phone is no longer available in the market as samsung has withdrawn it coz it has some defects. So how much of this is true? And is this phone really worth the money spent on it? Would a nokia 5800 or a similar model from sony ericsson be better? I think the only plus point in this phone is the android OS. But I think android is available on other phones as well so why should one go for spica?