Official Samsung Spica Discussion Thread

sriharsha_madineni

Cyborg Agent
From my two days of Helix Launcher usage, I feel this is better than Pantheon and is more fluid, unlike pantheon which stutters sometimes. Uses less memory as well :)

Here are a few screenshots
*img405.imageshack.us/img405/912/cap201004151300.th.jpg*img217.imageshack.us/img217/6066/cap2010041512592.th.jpg*img442.imageshack.us/img442/5086/cap201004151303.th.jpg

Good thing is it supports UI rotate in homescreen as well

*img709.imageshack.us/img709/6606/cap201004151259.th.jpg*img99.imageshack.us/img99/8770/cap2010041512591.th.jpg

Sachit, this is what you were referring to right?? that widget placement issue!!!!
I guess helix launcher is your answer
*img710.imageshack.us/img710/4179/cap2010041513001.th.jpg

vulpine

Broken In
I was always planning to buy android since it was released. Nexusone was the one I was most interested. I came across spica one day and was impressed how it performs given its price range

So, wanted to try it first as a ticket to android and later get a N1 when it ll be officially available.

I have doubts hope u ll solve 'em
  1. Is the white version available in India?
  2. Whats the price should I pay for it. I got a quote of 13.5k:shock: but i saw people stating 11.5k here
  3. I have got as much info I could get Still is there any thing that I should know before buying it

BTW, my expectations from device are "feel snappy, official 2.1 asap, wide 3rd party apps and games support,good battery life" and that's it!

I forgot to ask and why is spica not listed in samsung website??

sriharsha_madineni

Cyborg Agent
I was always planning to buy android since it was released. Nexusone was the one I was most interested. I came across spica one day and was impressed how it performs given its price range

So, wanted to try it first as a ticket to android and later get a N1 when it ll be officially available.

I have doubts hope u ll solve 'em
  1. Is the white version available in India?
  2. Whats the price should I pay for it. I got a quote of 13.5k:shock: but i saw people stating 11.5k here
  3. I have got as much info I could get Still is there any thing that I should know before buying it

BTW, my expectations from device are "feel snappy, official 2.1 asap, wide 3rd party apps and games support,good battery life" and that's it!

I forgot to ask and why is spica not listed in samsung website??

First of all welcome to digit forum :)
congrats for choosing spica :))

1. As per my enquiry white is available in hyd. My seller had first booked the white one,since black was out Of stock and it may take time. I waited and bought Black instead. It's a personal choice, so go for white if u like it most.

2. I paid 12.1k and a lot of us paid around same price and the max was 13.5 I guess.
In hyd it should not be more than 12.5. Mine is from hyd as well so it should cost you the same.

3. Most of your doubts would be cleared if you read this thread from start. If you still have any doubts feel Free to ask :)

sachitgul

Journeyman
thnx Sriharsha...
Homescreen in landscape reminds me of the G1..

i will try helixLauncher whn i flash to a newer firmware..
but i heard that the Leshak Root has HelixLauncher by default...

btw does Helixlauncher have 3d gallery and the Nexus One type application scroll??

also do we have to uninstall pantheon to use helixLauncher..??

i liked the idea behind pantheon but samsung could have executed it in a better manner IMO..

vulpine

Broken In
1. As per my enquiry white is available in hyd. My seller had first booked the white one,since black was out Of stock and it may take time. I waited and bought Black instead. It's a personal choice, so go for white if u like it most.

Thanx for the quick reply
I have enquired in most of the shops only few had stock of black piece. And no one had any idea about the white one.

Can U find out where exactly I can find a white one in HYD?

BTW, I am a SriHarsha.M too:doublethumb:

sriharsha_madineni

Cyborg Agent
thnx Sriharsha...
Homescreen in landscape reminds me of the G1..

i will try helixLauncher whn i flash to a newer firmware..
but i heard that the Leshak Root has HelixLauncher by default...

btw does Helixlauncher have 3d gallery and the Nexus One type application scroll??

also do we have to uninstall pantheon to use helixLauncher..??

i liked the idea behind pantheon but samsung could have executed it in a better manner IMO..

helix launcher doesn't need root. you can install it on stock firmware. just download it from market.

---------- Post added at 11:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 PM ----------

Thanx for the quick reply
I have enquired in most of the shops only few had stock of black piece. And no one had any idea about the white one.

Can U find out where exactly I can find a white one in HYD?

BTW, I am a SriHarsha.M too:doublethumb:

Lol same pinch: P

Actually my seller gets his stock from hyd. He said that they have a white one. But I don't know the exact location. I'll ask him and let you know.

vulpine

Broken In
helix launcher doesn't need root. you can install it on stock firmware. just download it from market.

---------- Post added at 11:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 PM ----------

Lol same pinch: P

Actually my seller gets his stock from hyd. He said that they have a white one. But I don't know the exact location. I'll ask him and let you know.

Please let me know asap.

I'm planning to get this in few days!

dushi23

Right off the assembly line
i used hellix launcher for some days but have to switch back to patheon coz hellix eats battery like anything...woth hellix i got battery life of 20 hrs-half nd hour of calling,20-25 messages-half hour gprs surfing and 2 hour music..with similar usage i m getting 30+ hours of battery backup in patheon..Is it only wid me or someone else also getting the same results!!

sriharsha_madineni

Cyborg Agent
i used hellix launcher for some days but have to switch back to patheon coz hellix eats battery like anything...woth hellix i got battery life of 20 hrs-half nd hour of calling,20-25 messages-half hour gprs surfing and 2 hour music..with similar usage i m getting 30+ hours of battery backup in patheon..Is it only wid me or someone else also getting the same results!!
Its quite opposite with me. I'm getting almost double the backup I used to get on Pantheon.
Check with other apps which might be eating battery.

Incredible Hulk

Hulk Smash!
guys I am planning to buy a mobile. budget is 15k. I had initially thought of buying the 5800 xpressmusic. But it's become very common and so I wanted something unique which I can show off to my friends. I was thinking of buying the samsung spica after reading a lot of positive reviews about it here. but some ppl have mentioned a lot of negative and scary things like no battery replacement, slow response of the phone, etc. I'd like to know how much of this is true? I also saw an ad today in the times of india for samsung phones which has mentioned a lot of phones in the price range of 15k and wanted to know what u guys think of these phones like samsung monte, jet2 & star S5560? I am also open to other suggestions from motorola or sony ericsson. I want wi-fi and 3g in the phone and the phone should have plenty of apps in the market as well.

Thanks

vulpine

Broken In
guys I am planning to buy a mobile. budget is 15k. I had initially thought of buying the 5800 xpressmusic. But it's become very common and so I wanted something unique which I can show off to my friends. I was thinking of buying the samsung spica after reading a lot of positive reviews about it here. but some ppl have mentioned a lot of negative and scary things like no battery replacement, slow response of the phone, etc. I'd like to know how much of this is true? I also saw an ad today in the times of india for samsung phones which has mentioned a lot of phones in the price range of 15k and wanted to know what u guys think of these phones like samsung monte, jet2 & star S5560? I am also open to other suggestions from motorola or sony ericsson. I want wi-fi and 3g in the phone and the phone should have plenty of apps in the market as well.

Thanks

Go with spica U will love it!!
jet,S5560,monte, corby all are dumb phones. No, Im not saying they are bad.
But they are perfect for certain group of buyers.
They have flash based UI(No OS) and they have very less third party app support.

---------

I have been to few shops today to enquire about spica. That has become my daily routine:lol:
No one has stocks but very few had stocks of galaxy sold at really cheap prices but they were not recommending it to any one!!

Almost every guy was forcing me to buy 5800 "Best mobile hain saar sannhaisaar :)) headset milega saar aur reebok watch bhi saar yeh sab aur excellent nokia support.... only for 13.5k saar lelo"

When i said I want only android one guy almost convinced me for "vivaz" saying its android :shock: these guys are real dumb!!

A few said that spica hasn't been released yet and Its going to launch in few weeks.I gave 'em my number to ring me up as they get the stock.

I'm getting a feeling that samsung has stopped this handset to relaunch it with 2.1 with in a few weeks and extensively promote it saying "800hz, Android 2.1, virtual reality and bla bla bla"
and ofcourse some increase in price too....lets see what happens!!

@Harsha
I'm still waiting for ur reply

Incredible Hulk

Hulk Smash!
They have flash based UI(No OS) and they have very less third party app support.

but spica doesn't have fm radio, support for java plus 5800 has a lot of features which spica doesn't have. Check out the link: *www.esato.com/phones/compare.php?phone=583&cp=521

Also I've heard that spica is slow and the battery is irreplaceable. Also there are many connectivity issues when using Wi-Fi.

Can u also tell me about i7500? I've heard the price is almost the same andf that it is better looking and has more features than i5700. Check out the link:

*www.esato.com/phones/comparemore.php?phone=583&cp=521&cp2=466

jain_pranav

Broken In
@ hulk

Dude from where have u heard all these rumours ?

No wifi issue...spica has 800 mhz processor..can it b slow ?
It supports java also..
Go for spica without any 2nd thought..
5800 is outdated dude..

Go through initial posts in this thread n ul gt 2 knw diff b/w i5700 & i7500.

vulpine

Broken In
but spica doesn't have fm radio, support for java plus 5800 has a lot of features which spica doesn't have. Check out the link: *www.esato.com/phones/compare.php?phone=583&cp=521

Also I've heard that spica is slow and the battery is irreplaceable. Also there are many connectivity issues when using Wi-Fi.

Can u also tell me about i7500? I've heard the price is almost the same andf that it is better looking and has more features than i5700. Check out the link:

If FM radio matters to U then its ur personal decision.

Android can run java apps so dont worry about.

spica has 800mhz procy dont miss that! and superb web kit browser

for me, spica is better in every dept than 5800 except for display resolution

Better avoid galaxy i7500 i would say. its not going to get official 2.1 and I heard it has some battery issues and is soon going to be phased out!!

Incredible Hulk

Hulk Smash!
If FM radio matters to U then its ur personal decision.

Android can run java apps so dont worry about.

spica has 800mhz procy dont miss that! and superb web kit browser

for me, spica is better in every dept than 5800 except for display resolution

Better avoid galaxy i7500 i would say. its not going to get official 2.1 and I heard it has some battery issues and is soon going to be phased out!!

well fm radio is something I can do without as I have loads of mp3s. But u seem to be very excited about the 800 mhz processor. What good would it do? I've heard the mobiles are slow and it has problems with the battery. Is it true?

vulpine

Broken In
U saying you have heard. from where..?? whats the source..?? user reviews..??
many users here have stated battery is good enough!

if its 800Mhz why shudn't I be excited?? Some benchmark tests have proved it has more power than droid and even X10(ya X10... before any one shoots me...the source is GSMArena)

sriharsha_madineni

Cyborg Agent
U saying you have heard. from where..?? whats the source..?? user reviews..??
many users here have stated battery is good enough!

if its 800Mhz why shudn't I be excited?? Some benchmark tests have proved it has more power than droid and even X10(ya X10... before any one shoots me...the source is GSMArena)

Just try running same apps in different phones and then you'll understand what 800Mhz is capable of and What changes it brings with it. For example try opening a big pdf document or a huge excel sheet on different phones. Then you'll know the advantage of a 800Mhz proccy.

Yeah those benchmarks are a proof what this hardware is capable of. Software optimization is the bottleneck as of now. Hope Samsung optimizes the phone for better performance soon.

Enough about those battery issue rumours, check this out
*img693.imageshack.us/img693/7310/cap201004171642.th.jpg*img691.imageshack.us/img691/6430/cap2010041716421.th.jpg

After 39 Hours of usage(@4PM) Battery still shows 50% with autosync on and few hours of browsing and almost 2hrs talktime. Its 8PM now and it still shows 50% .Still worried about battery backup :)

@Vulpine

Harsha, it seems the person my seller gets from is Distributor and he hasn't got any idea who stocks the White one. Also I don't understand why samsung badly wanted to clear out all the Galaxy stocks. First they offered 10K price cut on I7500 and cleared its stocks. It's understandable since its a failure. But don't understand why spica is out of stock too. Maybe they want to clear the old stocks and introduce 2.1 preloaded ones later

Last edited:

sachitgul

Journeyman

---------

I have been to few shops today to enquire about spica. That has become my daily routine:lol:
No one has stocks but very few had stocks of galaxy sold at really cheap prices but they were not recommending it to any one!!

Almost every guy was forcing me to buy 5800 "Best mobile hain saar sannhaisaar :)) headset milega saar aur reebok watch bhi saar yeh sab aur excellent nokia support.... only for 13.5k saar lelo"

When i said I want only android one guy almost convinced me for "vivaz" saying its android :shock: these guys are real dumb!!

A few said that spica hasn't been released yet and Its going to launch in few weeks.I gave 'em my number to ring me up as they get the stock.

I'm getting a feeling that samsung has stopped this handset to relaunch it with 2.1 with in a few weeks and extensively promote it saying "800hz, Android 2.1, virtual reality and bla bla bla"
and ofcourse some increase in price too....lets see what happens!!

@Harsha
I'm still waiting for ur reply

handset is Launched in India a long time back and IT is Available in MUMBAI..
try Zee Novelties in Vile Parle East..

the issue is that dealers might not get a lot of profit selling this phone so they must not stock it..
i got it from Zee Novelties at 13.5K and they say its still available..

here is the phone number and exact location of Zee Novelties..
*goo.gl/Zh9A

and Samsung IMO would never call back existing i5700's in the market..
its just too much undue expenditure for them..

hence the firmware upgraded by using NPS or Kies..
IMO it will come to India by the first week of May or so..

So don't wait for 2.1 to come out of the box..
That may only happen in August Or September..

And this too isn't confirmed....

---------- Post added at 08:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:19 PM ----------

dont take it personally..
but are u trolling like that pritam guy???

if u are defending the 5800 so much then y not just go and buy it..??
and then tell us how u feel about it..

also..
irreplaceable battery??
rofl!

and yes for ur info..
5800 has around 128mb RAm and a 434mhz procy..
almost half of what the spica has..

and abt the RAM on the spica here u go..
*goo.gl/qy7S

and also remember android floors Symbian..

so IMO go for the i5700...
its a great phone..

:)

Incredible Hulk

Hulk Smash!
dont take it personally..
but are u trolling like that pritam guy???

if u are defending the 5800 so much then y not just go and buy it..??
and then tell us how u feel about it..

also..
irreplaceable battery??
rofl!

Actually I got my apprehensions after reading posts of this pritam guy. He sounds very convincing. And what is this funny business with the battery?

sriharsha_madineni

Cyborg Agent
^^
Looking at his post count, I just have a feeling he might be the same guy.
Just my speculation. No offence

---------- Post added at 08:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 PM ----------

Looks like You posted that while I was typing this.
Anyways battery is REPLACEABLE

Look here

Just read the thread from start if you still have any doubts

Top Bottom