Official Samsung Spica Discussion Thread

A

ankitsagwekar

• GPS uses positioning satellites to determine your location, for that it has to lock to positioning satellites(In i5700, GPS indicator in notification bar will be blinking until its locked to satellites, once locked that icon stops blinking) Its more accurate but uses up more battery too.

how much time it take to lock ?

i m using I570EDDJB2. is there is any issue in GPS in I570EDDJB2 ?

arunks

Hey here is the aks
2 days with the phone and i kinda hate this phone... who said its vfm and awesome phone...

its keyboard very slow... some times phone is slow....camera response is slow..

all slow ..still its having 800MHz.. :( :( :( :(
whats the problem...

plz tell me solution to this...

sachitgul

Journeyman
2 days with the phone and i kinda hate this phone... who said its vfm and awesome phone...

whats the problem...

very easy solution...
sell ur spica..

buy hero..
problem solved..
:D

or u can use swype..
which is pretty good..

pritamonline

Broken In

whats the problem...

After reading reviews on this thread I too was excited to get Samsung Galaxy Spica i5700, but after checking the phone's performance on latest Android 2.1 OS bundled with new cell phone was very much disappointing.

"its keyboard very slow... some times phone is slow....camera response is slow.." rightly said.

I purchased Nokia 5800 xm yesterday and m very happy that i changed my decision at the right time and brought the right phone.

Those who still want to go for Samsung Galaxy Spica i5700 please self check the phone for atleast 5-10 minutes. If you are ok with the slow performance of phone with Android 2.1 then go ahead, its ur choice.

Last edited:
A

ankitsagwekar

spica on android 2.1 is very slow. don't know why it's lag on 800mhz procy

I flash back to 1.6 it's work fine now.

jain_pranav

Broken In
On 1.5 it works amazingly well..
There is no official 2.1 firmware thtz y phone is lagging..
I think n hope there wont b such issues in original 2.1 update.

Sid_gamer

Team Digit
After reading reviews on this thread I too was excited to get Samsung Galaxy Spica i5700, but after checking the phone's performance on latest Android 2.1 OS bundled with new cell phone was very much disappointing.

"its keyboard very slow... some times phone is slow....camera response is slow.." rightly said.

I purchased Nokia 5800 xm yesterday and m very happy that i changed my decision at the right time and brought the right phone.

Those who still want to go for Samsung Galaxy Spica i5700 please self check the phone for atleast 5-10 minutes. If you are ok with the slow performance of phone with Android 2.1 then go ahead, its ur choice.

Even I am planning to buy a new phone but i m confused between the Samsung Galaxy Spica and the Nokia 5800 Xpressmusic....
What is your take on this as you seem to have used both the phones...????

sachitgul

Journeyman

lol..
do u like work for nokia or smtn??

and it comes with 2.1 out of the box???
wow..
thnx for the eye opener..

and yeah ur post makes me do this..
:facepalm:

pritamonline

Broken In
lol..

and it comes with 2.1 out of the box???
wow..
thnx for the eye opener..

:facepalm:

New Samsung Galaxy Spica i5700 are coming with Android 2.1. If anyone from Mumbai living around Malad, go to Inorbit Mall. Just near the Entrance all latest Samsung Cell phones are kept for display. Beautiful ladies :grin: give us the demo of cell phone which you wish to buy/see.

You can take the cell and self check all the options. I tested Galaxy spica which was brand new piece with OS Android 2.1 . Cell is coming with Android 2.1 these days.

---------- Post added at 05:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:01 PM ----------

Even I am planning to buy a new phone but i m confused between the Samsung Galaxy Spica and the Nokia 5800 Xpressmusic....

Go for Nokia 5800 xm, a great VFM phone.

Last edited:

sachitgul

Journeyman
New Samsung Galaxy Spica i5700 are coming with Android 2.1. If anyone from Mumbai living around Malad, go to Inorbit Mall. Just near the Entrance all latest Samsung Cell phones are kept for display. Beautiful ladies :grin: give us the demo of cell phone which you wish to buy/see.

You can take the cell and self check all the options. I tested Galaxy spica which was brand new piece with OS Android 2.1 . Cell is coming with Android 2.1 these days.

OMG!!
:shock:

when did samsung release the Indian version of Eclair??
and it comes out of the box?!?!
good god...
this is just too hard to believe..!

hey Sriharsha do u know anything about this??

jain_pranav

Broken In
2.1 out of the box????????????

Well i find it hard to believe..It would have been all over the net if 2.1 for india was released..

sriharsha_madineni

Cyborg Agent
Whoaa What's happening here :shock:

whats the problem...

Are you using task killer apps?? My guess is that, a lot of apps might be running in background. Kill them and try.
If you are on 1.5 then keyboard is laggy in landscape mode. This is a bug which is ironed out in 2.1

---------- Post added at 05:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:01 PM ----------

Go for Nokia 5800 xm, a great VFM phone.

I have been using 5800XM for a year now and I completely feel the opposite. Use Spica for a brief period of time and your views would change as well. No doubt about it.

I would say 5800, a good value for money phone, but Spica a great value for money phone, Considering you get much more and you can do much more with Spica at the same price, infact Spica is cheaper by a thousand.

There is not even a single official Asian eclair Firmware for Spica yet and you say they are selling them preloaded, that too Indian one :facepalm:

Sachit, I guess you live in mumbai na , may be you can confirm by visiting that mall if you happen to go to that place and enlighten us.

Hey just forget 5800 and go for Spica. I got both of them, that too Old 5800, not the one post price cut with some features removed. Still I would Suggest Spica anyday.

Which *.ops file did you use to downgrade and to which 1.6 build did you downgrade??
OMG!!
:shock:

when did samsung release the Indian version of Eclair??
and it comes out of the box?!?!
good god...
this is just too hard to believe..!

hey Sriharsha do u know anything about this??

2.1 out of the box????????????

Well i find it hard to believe..It would have been all over the net if 2.1 for india was released..
I'm damn sure that 2.1 is not out in Asia yet, let alone India and that too preloaded.

1.6?????

Hey guys try this app " Auto Memory Manager" and set it to aggressive mode and check out the difference for yourselves :))

BTW here's the link to that app *3.ly/TsKT

gopi_vbboy

Cyborg Agent
picha lite

go for 5800 ...i borught one recently...even i wanted to go for spica...but specs!

5800 came with lifetime navigation on 3.03 update of ovi maps...@13.5k i got reebok wath free (supposedly worth 2k) and a headset worth 1.5k(may be old stock but its good)

wer as i asked shops for spica..no one knows...i had to go for reliance digital ...and its 16k there(7500...5700 not available)

so i say 5800 is value for money

spica for android fans

jain_pranav

Broken In
This app requires root access :(

Even i cnt wait nw..aftr my CLAT ,im flashing my phone to 2.1 :)

sriharsha_madineni

Cyborg Agent
picha lite

go for 5800 ...i borught one recently...even i wanted to go for spica...but specs!

5800 came with lifetime navigation on 3.03 update of ovi maps...@13.5k i got reebok wath free (supposedly worth 2k) and a headset worth 1.5k(may be old stock but its good)

wer as i asked shops for spica..no one knows...i had to go for reliance digital ...and its 16k there(7500...5700 not available)

so i say 5800 is value for money

spica for android fans

Gopi vaddamma vaddu :))

aina spica earplugs chala better aa free sennheiser kanna.

OP
FilledVoid

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Although 2.1 is being pushed in Europe I had no idea it was already being pushed on the Samsung phones so far. Although I believe it was being promised to be released in Asia by End of April or beginning of May I think. However I did find this.
If you can’t wait till Q2 when Samsung will officially release Android 2.1 update for Galaxy Spica, you can download the unofficial ROM from the link below to delve in the Éclair goodness now. New things the update brings to the table is the new UI, personalization features and more. The phone however, doesn’t work all smooth as the person who put this guide claims Google Maps not working properly and freezing issues.
Refer here

jain_pranav

Broken In
@ filled void

Dude v already knw abt sameer prabhakar blog n unofficial flashing to 2.1 firmwares.
R u trying 2 point out something here which im nt able 2 get ?

sriharsha_madineni

Cyborg Agent
@filledvoid
official samsung 2.1 firmwares are already available and infact a few of us are already on official 2.1

@All
looks like samsung firmwares has released yet another new official european firmware, I570EXXJC1. I think I got the name correctly. will check it and confirm again.

---------- Post added at 11:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 PM ----------

its I570EXXJD1

---------- Post added at 11:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 PM ----------

its I570EXXJD1, I got The name wrong earlier.

sachitgul

Journeyman
yus yus even i saw the april ka firmware..
mite flash after a week or so..

and rofl again at the guy who said 2.1 out of the box..
im gng to check this out by friday...

tho i am almost sure what the answer is..
:D

also Sriharsha can u please post a Spica Rooting Guide when u r exams r over..
would be of great help...

what are the other advantages of rooting??
while my root go or will it screw up my phone if i like flash to a newer firmware in the future?

and i uploaded my ipod ka pics...
see ipod thread..
its been kinda dead for quite a while..

sriharsha_madineni

Cyborg Agent
@pritamonline
I think you might be using your 5800 on V40 firmware.
It took almost 3 firmware versions for 5800 to get to this level. you should have tried the earlier versions specially the old stock firmware v1.1 I guess.
There were far more bugs in 5800 than Spica on 1.5
2.1 has cleared out many issues and newer builds promise to be more stable on spica.

---------- Post added at 11:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:30 PM ----------

@Sachit
Just follow this guide for rooting JCE.
you have to flash that file over existing firmware, and don't mess up with *.ops file this time :p
Its better you delete the spica.ops file to avoid confusion. The correct one is Spica_jc3.ops, use the same for above method.

Nothings gonna happen to your future upgrades by rooting. So don't worry :)

Also I'm planning to try out those modded firmwares from samdroid forums, Unnecessary apps are removed from those and heard they are much faster after Pantheon is removed.

Checked out the iPod pics, blue one looks good :)