Official Android discussion thread

TigerKing

Wise Old Owl
Need help
My Redmi Note 7 (lavender) on stock MIUI, have very strange problem.
Mobile turns off suddenly without warning.. screen goes off, after few seconds device vibrates and turns on.
this sudden restart is random, happens mostly while playing youtube, jio tv, airtel tv etc etc, sometimes before picking up incoming voice or video call..
tried flashing custom roms, RR 8.6.5 official, PE+, ancient, havoc, but restart problem is too sudden. device does not boot completely, in between boot animation, device turns off and turns on again continuously.

only solution is to keep mobile connected with charging cable,
no restart when charging through wall charger, spent 3+ hrs watching movies, (device temperature was normal warm after 3 hrs, not heated)
While flashing roms (recovery mode) there was no restart.

I think may be it's all because of battery. Any other guesses?
Can anyone provide link for original battery for redmi note 7? or mi service center is only option for original battery?
*www.mi.com/in/service/sparepartsprice/

Do mi service centre provide service for unlocked bootloader devices? Software, hardware repair, replace service?

Last edited:
Need help
My Redmi Note 7 (lavender) on stock MIUI, have very strange problem.
Mobile turns off suddenly without warning.. screen goes off, after few seconds device vibrates and turns on.
this sudden restart is random, happens mostly while playing youtube, jio tv, airtel tv etc etc, sometimes before picking up incoming voice or video call..
tried flashing custom roms, RR 8.6.5 official, PE+, ancient, havoc, but restart problem is too sudden. device does not boot completely, in between boot animation, device turns off and turns on again continuously.

only solution is to keep mobile connected with charging cable,
no restart when charging through wall charger, spent 3+ hrs watching movies, (device temperature was normal warm after 3 hrs, not heated)
While flashing roms (recovery mode) there was no restart.

I think may be it's all because of battery. Any other guesses?
Can anyone provide link for original battery for redmi note 7? or mi service center is only option for original battery?

Do mi service centre provide service for unlocked bootloader devices? Software, hardware repair, replace service?
I think it might be the battery as well. Even though battery life hasn't taken a major hit but with age the max voltage that can be output decreases as well, so maybe the phone is asking for more power than the battery can provide. If it was an OS issue, reset or custom ROMs shouldn't exhibit the same problem. Visit a service centre.

TigerKing

Wise Old Owl
I think it might be the battery as well. Even though battery life hasn't taken a major hit but with age the max voltage that can be output decreases as well, so maybe the phone is asking for more power than the battery can provide. If it was an OS issue, reset or custom ROMs shouldn't exhibit the same problem. Visit a service centre.
Okay. But battery lasts long like it used to. no quick discharge or quick charge.
Maybe I found the exact problem. It's speaker.
When I set speaker volume to zero and play any Video or Audio or Game or App, it does not restart.
But when I set speaker volume to max, and play any Video or Audio or Game or App, it restarts without warning.
Maybe it's speaker fault or dirt and dust in it causing issue.

And for custom ROMs I need to check that again..

Okay. But battery lasts long like it used to. no quick discharge or quick charge.
When I set speaker volume to zero and play any Video or Audio or Game or App, it does not restart.
But when I set speaker volume to max, and play any Video or Audio or Game or App, it restarts without warning.

Strange

TigerKing

Wise Old Owl

It was battery problem. Replaced battery with own risk.
Mi Service Center suggested, if it's not battery problem then it will be your loss, once replaced we can't take battery back. You can keep device here under observation, we will check for 100% volume speaker problem.
But I convinced them that if it's battery problem then I will be returning battery within a day. I also took back the old battery.
I tried playing videos, songs, fm at 100% volume for more than 2 days. Everything seems normal.

msankadi

Broken In
It was battery problem. Replaced battery with own risk.
Mi Service Center suggested, if it's not battery problem then it will be your loss, once replaced we can't take battery back. You can keep device here under observation, we will check for 100% volume speaker problem.
But I convinced them that if it's battery problem then I will be returning battery within a day. I also took back the old battery.
I tried playing videos, songs, fm at 100% volume for more than 2 days. Everything seems normal.
How much were the charges to replace battery?

Sent from my RMX2081 using Tapatalk

TigerKing

Wise Old Owl
How much were the charges to replace battery?

₹799 for only battery

Service charges - 350 + 31.5 (CGST (9%)) + 31.5 (SGST (9%)) +
Battery BN4A - 799 + 71.91 (CGST (9%)) + 71.91 (SGST (9%)) +
Adhesive (battery, cover) - 29 + 2.61 (CGST (9%)) + 2.61 (SGST (9%))
Total - ₹1390.04

msankadi

Broken In
₹799 for only battery

Service charges - 350 + 31.5 (CGST (9%)) + 31.5 (SGST (9%)) +
Battery BN4A - 799 + 71.91 (CGST (9%)) + 71.91 (SGST (9%)) +
Adhesive (battery, cover) - 29 + 2.61 + 2.61
Total - ₹1390.04
Wow that's an awesome price. Basically use battery for a year or two and get it changed with zero guilt

Tusharma

Broken In
Redmi devices are also quite buggy these days.
Also, I came to know that Redmi rebranded a smartphone 3 times to launch it across the world. Redmi Note 10 5G and Poco M3 Pro are the same smartphones with the same Dimensity 700 chipset but launched in different regions.

OrrBitt

Broken In
I have an old Android phone; it had a system backup feature which backs up SMS, Call log, etc. When I ran it, it created a single .gbk file. When I try to open the file in Android or in Windows, it displays a lot of gibberish.

I searched online and found an online converter but I don't want to use anything online as the file contains my SMSes. The only software I found that could open it was InterBase and I downloaded and ran it, but couldn't make it work. The other options for opening .gbk files were all related to biology and genes.

Anyone knows how to open a .gbk file on Windows or Ubuntu or Android?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have an old Android phone; it had a system backup feature which backs up SMS, Call log, etc. When I ran it, it created a single .gbk file. When I try to open the file in Android or in Windows, it displays a lot of gibberish.

I searched online and found an online converter but I don't want to use anything online as the file contains my SMSes. The only software I found that could open it was InterBase and I downloaded and ran it, but couldn't make it work. The other options for opening .gbk files were all related to biology and genes.

Anyone knows how to open a .gbk file on Windows or Ubuntu or Android?
Try this(you must use android 5 or lower only as this feature was removed from android 6 onward I believe):
*forums.androidcentral.com/ask-ques...-backup-file-android-4-2-2-android-5-0-a.html

OrrBitt

Broken In
@whitestar_999 Thanks for the link. I'll try it out. The old phone I've mentioned runs android 4.2.

Isn't there any way to open the gbk file on the computer? I'd like to save the call logs, SMSes, etc in txt format.

There is some kind of problem with the phone - two days back it started giving a message that the battery is too hot and I should remove it, and I did but it was cold to the touch. I installed a temperature app and first it showed the battery temp as -22 degrees (yes, too cold and not hot) while the cpu temps were around 40-45 degrees. After restarting the phone, the app started showing the correct battery temp, somewhere around 35 degrees. Also, the screen suddenly shows lines and stuff and locking and unlocking the phone sometimes solves the problem, sometimes doesn't. It could be a software problem so I was going to factory reset it, which is why I made the backup.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
@whitestar_999 Thanks for the link. I'll try it out. The old phone I've mentioned runs android 4.2.

Isn't there any way to open the gbk file on the computer? I'd like to save the call logs, SMSes, etc in txt format.

There is some kind of problem with the phone - two days back it started giving a message that the battery is too hot and I should remove it, and I did but it was cold to the touch. I installed a temperature app and first it showed the battery temp as -22 degrees (yes, too cold and not hot) while the cpu temps were around 40-45 degrees. After restarting the phone, the app started showing the correct battery temp, somewhere around 35 degrees. Also, the screen suddenly shows lines and stuff and locking and unlocking the phone sometimes solves the problem, sometimes doesn't. It could be a software problem so I was going to factory reset it, which is why I made the backup.
I use this for general backups:
*play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.idea.backup.smscontacts&hl=en_IN&gl=US

Top Bottom