OCing an Intel Pentium Dual Core E5200

Hey,
I was wondering if i can overclock my Intel Dual Core E5200 and if possible, upto what clock speed would I be able to push it.....

I've got the E5200 sitting on Gigabyte GA-G31M-S2L motherboard
2Gb + 1Gb of DDR2-800 Ram...
and a meager 400W Zebronics power supply
As of now I'm using the stock cooler that came with the processor but plan to replace it with this:
Cooler Master DI5-9HDSL-0L-GP CPU Fan For Intel LGA775....
or this:
Glacialtech Igloo 5062 (E) OEM CPU Fan(Intel)

So it advisable to overclock with these specs...or should I just ditch it??

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
if I am right, E5200 goes up till 4GHz on air cooler (by using better cooler). It is very good overclocker.

OP
lethalweaponforever

lethalweaponforever

Journeyman
Yes, I've heard of that too...but is the power supply and Cooling solution listed up there sufficient to take it to at least 3Ghz maybe without having problems??

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
3GHz should be fairly easy. Since you don't have a GPU, that PSU should be able to hold as the CPU wont' take much extra power even if it runs ast 3.5GHz.

abhidev

Human Spambot
Mine is C2D E4500 2.2ghz....and i have read on the internet that it can be overclocked till 3.6 ghz with a cooler. I tried overclocking it but my Mobo doesn't have an option of modifying the core cpu voltage,etc in the Bios...but the mobo supports upto 1333MHz FSB??? Can u guys help me overclock it?

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^^
That is possible on the Rev3 versions of your board. If you have 1,2 you should not be able to OC. Does it have any option "AI Overclocking"..? If not, forget OC on this board.

OP
lethalweaponforever

lethalweaponforever

Journeyman
3GHz should be fairly easy. Since you don't have a GPU, that PSU should be able to hold as the CPU wont' take much extra power even if it runs ast 3.5GHz.

Um...I have a graphics card....Maybe i should specify the FULL specifications....

Procc.: Intel E5200
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-G31M-S2L
GFX: Palit Radeon HD 4670 (bought a year ago...still works like a gem, bless it!!!)
Power: Zebronics 400W
RAM: 2 gb + 1 gb DDR2-800

abhidev

Human Spambot
^^
That is possible on the Rev3 versions of your board. If you have 1,2 you should not be able to OC. Does it have any option "AI Overclocking"..? If not, forget OC on this board.

If you are asking me...then i do hv an option that u hv mentioned...which says disabled and manual....

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^^
Then your board is a locked board. You could check if a BIOS flash will allow it. Check for latest BIOS' and read the change log carefully. Or paste it here, we can help you.

abhidev

Human Spambot
^^
Then your board is a locked board. You could check if a BIOS flash will allow it. Check for latest BIOS' and read the change log carefully. Or paste it here, we can help you.

Whats BIOS flash and how do I do it???

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
@abhidev, you better now play with CPU voltages if you have no proper knowledge of concepts. A slight overvoltage will fry the CPU and it may damage the mobo too. On the other hand, playing with frequencies is lot safer as at the max, system freezes or denied to boot, which can be rectified by a simple BIOS reset.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@abhidev, you better now play with CPU voltages if you have no proper knowledge of concepts. A slight overvoltage will fry the CPU and it may damage the mobo too. On the other hand, playing with frequencies is lot safer as at the max, system freezes or denied to boot, which can be rectified by a simple BIOS reset.

I think you meant to say he should play with CPU frequency is it's more safer.

@ abhidev - some mobos don't allow changing voltage so there OC potential becomes very narrow but most of mobo allow changing frequency and the mobo will automatically adjust the voltage though don't expect very high frequency - I think you can OC your CPU cpu upto 2.6-2.8 Ghz with that mobo.

@ lethalweaponforever - I don't think you should OC your cpu past 2.8 GHz with that PSU and Gfx card.

abhidev

Human Spambot
Guys....i tried changing it from 200 to 225....and then saved the settings and restarted...it said the Overclock failed...please reboot or reset the BIOS settings...so i was wondering if it doesn't allow me to change the voltage values it should adjust automatically...also another reason i was thinking was is it related to my RAM frequency too...coz my RAM is 667MHz...

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Set the FSB @ 220 Mhz and if successful post a CPU-Z screen shot of CPU and memory tab.

BTW, do you have any option like FSB : DRAM ratio in Bios.

For Ocing an intel cpu on intel chipset mobo sometime you need to select proper DRAM:FSB ratio but some low end mobo just don't have this option.

Top Bottom