Nvidia to exit chipset business?

Status
Not open for further replies.

4T7

Journeyman
The web is flooded with rumors today that Nvidia is set to drop its chipset business. According to unnamed DigiTimes sources, the creator of the nForce line called a meeting earlier this week with motherboard partners to gauge support for it to continue producing chipsets, but was only met with silence.

The report says that some motherboard makers already have canceled high-end motherboard projects based on the nForce 7-series chipset. A bit of credence was lent to these claims based on recent problems over Intel's forthcoming X58 chipset that has manufacturers deciding whether or not to include the company?s nForce 200 chip on their boards to enable 3-way SLI.

As a side note, a chipset exit by Nvidia would also debunk recent speculation that Apple is skipping Intel?s new Montevina chipset in favor of a custom platform that would combine Intel processors with Nvidia chipsets in its upcoming notebook products.

Nvidia executives have nonetheless denied the rumor and claim the company is committed to its nForce line, which makes up as much as 18 percent of its total sales revenue. In fact, the graphics firm says it has several products set to be announced ?in the near future?.

Source

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Why the hell will they exit from chipset when they are actually considering to go head on against Intel???

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
I for one would be very sorry to see NVidia exit from the chipset business. They are relatively new on the chipset field but they shot straight to the top with the release of their first nForce chipset for AMD processors.

For several years, the AMD-NVidia combination left Intel eating their dust. AMD's takeover of ATI happened while I was concentrating on other things and did not keep up with computer hardware news. I was shocked when I heard about it. I'm still not clear about why AMD decided to pair up with NVidia's arch rival.

naveen_reloaded

!! RecuZant By Birth !!
thnks giga..

well it must be rumour...

i dont see any valid reason ... to believe this ..

if u say its AMD ... ATI going down .. then i can partly believe...

nvidia

-----ATi-----
Can't be true. Right now, they need everything to stay in the market. The Graphics card industry is not ruled by nVidia anymore. I'm sure nVidia will know what they will lose if they exit the Chipset Business.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom