I have a PC with the Configuration given below

Main Board - Intel DX58S0
CPU - Intel Core i7-930
RAM - 4GB (2 x 2 Kingston)
PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 600W
Chasis - Cooler Master CM 690
HDD- 1 TB (500 Segate + 500 WD)
Graphics Card- Geforce 9400GT

Now, I want to upgrade My GPU for more detailed HD Gaming Solution. So, I want to know that which one is best considering all effective perspectives-

a) GTX 460 x 2 (SLI)
b) GTX 560 Ti X 1

Any reply would be highly appreciated.

Thanking you in advance....... :smile:

Cilus

laborare est orare
rajan1311, how come a single GTX 570 is cheaper than GTX 460 SLI. The base models of 570 are priced @ 20K, exactly the same price of 2 GTX 460 1 GB model.
And GTX 460 SLI offers performance far higher than GTX 570, actually beating the mighty GTX 580.

tkin

Back to school!!
2*460 beating 580?!?!?

benchmark please.
Here: AnandTech - Bench - GPU11

Do not underestimate sli, except for that fact that most times new games will cr@p out with it, so you'll have to watch gameplay videos while others with a single gpu play the games, sli is very good.

Cilus

laborare est orare
^^ that was a case in the past Tkin...not now. AMD and nVidia both the manufactures actually mainstreaming their multi-GPU solutions by releasing new drivers, patches and fixes very regularly to resolve these kind of issues. You don't have to wait as much as you are expecting to use SLI/CF in new titles.

And you don't have to sit idle if the game does not support SLI, just disable the SLI and play the game with your single card untill the peaches to be released. GTX 460 or HD 6870, best choice for today's multi-gpu solutions, themselves are very capable cards and can handle Full HD easily with most of the games.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
@ op

Get a gtx 560-ti now by paying around 3-3.5k more. Sli it later and it will give much better performance than 460 sli. Don't jump to sli or cf straight away but in a phased manner.

Last edited:

Cilus

laborare est orare
Well, my vote also goes to GTX 560Ti MSI Twin Frozer II/OC version @ 15K or the HD 6950 2 GB MSI Twin Frozer II/OC @ 15.4K.

I just said that GTX 570 is not a good option right now as at the same price point GTX 460 SLI can be bought which provides better scaling than GTX 580.
560 Ti is better choice here as it keeps open the upgrade path.

rajan1311

Padawan
@cilus: I think GTX 460s come for around 11k odd, so it would be slightly cheaper to have a single 570, but not much there.....but the main thing was that SLI vs single card argument, I feel for not so hardcore users, SLI may pose a problem. You and I regularly update our graphics card drivers, we know the problems and fixes to the small issues that come with SLI. Hence, for non hardcore users, life is much easier with a single card..thats just my line of thought...anyways, I would not go for an SLI setup with that PSU,600W for a system that might touch 500W peak...not very safe IMO...

Cilus

laborare est orare
GTX 460 1 GB Stock versions are just 10.3K and the MSI Cyclone versions are available @ 10.4K. So the price is almost same (0.8K max) for the 460 SLI and GTX 570.
And GTX 460 is not that power hungry card and its SLI can be handled easily by Silen Pro 600W PSUs. In fact Silent Pro probably can provide higher power than its rated one.

But I think you are right for the single card vs multi gpu setup. Here GTX 560 TI or HD 6950 2 GB is the best card as the extra 5/6K price is not justified to go for a GTX 570. Another thing is it is observed that there are some issues in the VRM design of GTX 570 reference models. So to be on the safer side, you have to go for some custom VRM design PCB based GTX 570, like the Twin Frozer III (Twin frozer II just has custom cooler but same reference VRM) which will cost you almost 22/23K.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
@cilus: I think GTX 460s come for around 11k odd, so it would be slightly cheaper to have a single 570, but not much there.....but the main thing was that SLI vs single card argument, I feel for not so hardcore users, SLI may pose a problem. You and I regularly update our graphics card drivers, we know the problems and fixes to the small issues that come with SLI. Hence, for non hardcore users, life is much easier with a single card..thats just my line of thought...anyways, I would not go for an SLI setup with that PSU,600W for a system that might touch 500W peak...not very safe IMO...

somewhat :+1: about the SLi part. CM Silent Pro are good quality PSU though. So it should not face any problem with SLi/CFX setup

Cilus

laborare est orare
No you can't. The load power consumption for just the 2 GPUs in GTX 560 SLI is 298W, 50% of your total power of the 600W PSU. You need at least a 700W PSU for 560 Ti SLI setup. Check it guru3d.

Cilus

laborare est orare
Not borderline case buddy, you can't use it with 560 Ti SLI. unline their AMD counterparts, nVdia cards' power consumption is higher and 2 560 Ti will eat half the power of that 600W PSU in load.

Top Bottom