ntldr missing error while starting win xp

Status
Not open for further replies.

clmlbx

Technomancer
hi

I am using windows xp and vista in dual boot. partition c=xp, partition D= vista. it was working fine but yesterday suddenly when i tried to start xp it gave error message ntldr missing.

I tried recovery console from xp cd .

commands I used

first attempt :- fix boot and restarted and then it did not even show the boot manager and said ntldr missing

second attemp :- I used fixboot and then fixmbr and after restart, It showed same error ( ntldr missing )

then I had to work, so I nserted vista dvd and try to fix it .( atleast vista will run )becoz after all that commands I can not even boot to vista as no boot manager was shown.

and so vista got started, now how can I solve that xp problem .

NucleusKore

TheSaint
When I had the same problem I tried all the below suggestions
*support.microsoft.com/kb/314503/en-us
*support.microsoft.com/kb/330181/en-us
*support.microsoft.com/kb/314057/en-us
They worked temporarily, until I found out that my hard disk and motherboard was failing. Better get that checked.

OP
clmlbx

clmlbx

Technomancer
^^ only first solution is for me but as per my post I have tried that and it did not work .

mavv

Right off the assembly line
Try this as this the only action available to correct "ntldr" error, other than ofcourse Recovery console or Re-installing, by which you will lose your valuable data.

Check for any PC if you know has the same windows XP version installed on it, if you can find it just Copy the "ntldr" file from that PC to your windows XP partition via a floppy or pen-drive and paste it there by over-writing the old ntldr file. 99.99% this is is a sure shot fix.

Anyway if you are successful in correcting even if by any other means please post it here for the general good of everybody.

It is a good practice to keep ntldr and boot.ini files as back up somewhere.
Good Luck

OP
clmlbx

clmlbx

Technomancer
GOT THE SOLUTION

I SHOULD HAD DONE SOME SEARCH BEFORE POSTING .

BUT I DID NOT WANTED TO WASTE MY TIME AND HAD LIKED TO GET THE SOLUTION AS FAST AS POSSIBLE SO I POSTED IT HERE BUT I HAD TO,

FINALLY I GOT THE SOLUTION .

I COPIED NTLDR AND NTDETECT FILE FROM MY WINDOWS XP CD AND PASTED IT TO MY PARTTION.

X = WINDOWS XP CD

I GOT BOTH THE FILES FROM :- X:\i386

YES, I STILL GOT THE ERROR INVALID BOOT.INI BUT AT LAST XP STARTED .

THANKS TO THEM WHO TRIED TO HELP .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom