Note for those looking to buy a GTX 460

AcceleratorX

Youngling
If you are on the market and looking to buy a GTX 460 card for SLI or single use, I wanted to inform you that there is a "different" GTX 460 available from some manufacturers (right now, Palit, Gainward and Gigabyte).

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460

It appears to me that the v2 460 is an underclocked GTX 560 (Ti) with 64 bits of the memory bus disabled, thus giving it a 192-bit interface.

Currently, the performance of the new GTX 460 is unknown, as well as whether it will be able to do SLI with the old GTX 460s. Because the memory configuration is the same as the GTX 550 Ti, it is expected that the performance will drop a little when the full 1GB of memory is being used, or at high resolutions with AA and AF (since it is speculated that the last 256MB receives only 64-bits of bandwidth).

Overall, though, it should be close enough to the current GTX 460 due to a bump in the clockspeeds. GeForce GTX 460 SE v2 is also available, and looking at that one, it appears the performance will be equal to or lower than the 550 Ti, which begs the question of why this card exists.

Please be wary if this matters to you :)

EDIT: Some interesting information is given on this thread about the v2 Palit card. It seems the GTX 460 is headed for end of life and this V2 is a limited stock. It seems it's faster but someone needs to do high res AA+AF tests + full 1GB load to see if it's lower under those circumstances.

[Convergent] Announcing Palit GTX460 1GB 192B GF114 - www.hardwarezone.com.sg

Last edited:

tkin

Back to school!!
Hmm, confusing, but power consumption should go down and allow the cards to OC further(560s can OC to 900 easily), the drop in bus width should be negated by the bump in Clockspeed, but this card may just be a tad bit slower than the original 460.

nVidia is just using the skewed 560 chips here, dropping the production of 460 chips completely, cost cutting :sigh:

OP
A

AcceleratorX

Youngling
Reading the thread, it seems clear why the 460s are currently having a price drop - they're going to be discontinued soon. Get yours while you can, if you want to. Brands other than Palit and Gigabyte are still (for now) selling the original GTX 460.

tkin

Back to school!!
Not discontinued, since they are using scrapped 560 chips it will continue as long as 560s are produced, but prices will drop further, and also increase profit for nVidia.

OP
A

AcceleratorX

Youngling
^Not sure, this post seems to imply that the products will be off the shelves soon, because NVIDIA probably wants to get the GTX 550 Ti cards moving quick.......

HardwareZone forum said:
All previous generation of GTX460 models has been discontinued.

GTX460 GF114 is the new one, and will have limited stocks.

tkin

Back to school!!
^Not sure, this post seems to imply that the products will be off the shelves soon, because NVIDIA probably wants to get the GTX 550 Ti cards moving quick.......
By limited stocks I think he means small supply, because unlike GTX460 V1 this one is not being manufactured, but the defective GTX560s are turned into this, so supply will be smaller and will fluctuate, this is a scrapped part being reused, the more the process matures the defective 560 chips will start to decrease and hence 460 supply will decrease as well, by that time 660 will launch so 560 will take 460s position.

LemonNCheese

Broken In
If you are on the market and looking to buy a GTX 460 card for SLI or single use, I wanted to inform you that there is a "different" GTX 460 available from some manufacturers (right now, Palit, Gainward and Gigabyte).

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460

It appears to me that the v2 460 is an underclocked GTX 560 (Ti) with 64 bits of the memory bus disabled, thus giving it a 192-bit interface.

Currently, the performance of the new GTX 460 is unknown, as well as whether it will be able to do SLI with the old GTX 460s. Because the memory configuration is the same as the GTX 550 Ti, it is expected that the performance will drop a little when the full 1GB of memory is being used, or at high resolutions with AA and AF (since it is speculated that the last 256MB receives only 64-bits of bandwidth).

Overall, though, it should be close enough to the current GTX 460 due to a bump in the clockspeeds. GeForce GTX 460 SE v2 is also available, and looking at that one, it appears the performance will be equal to or lower than the 550 Ti, which begs the question of why this card exists.

Please be wary if this matters to you :)

EDIT: Some interesting information is given on this thread about the v2 Palit card. It seems the GTX 460 is headed for end of life and this V2 is a limited stock.

I really want you to look at Asus GTX 460
Brand New ASUS GTX460 graphics card 115% Performance Over-clocked Warranty | eBay

how will it perfor against MSI GTX560

tkin

Back to school!!
I really want you to look at Asus GTX 460
Brand New ASUS GTX460 graphics card 115% Performance Over-clocked Warranty | eBay

how will it perfor against MSI GTX560
Not VFM, at that price 6850 hold better VFM.
*www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/313?vs=291

OP
A

AcceleratorX

Youngling
Not VFM, at that price 6850 hold better VFM.
AnandTech - Bench - GPU11

The Asus card is clocked close to the 560 speeds, as such it will be quite close to the GTX 560 non-Ti. I agree that the Asus card is overpriced given it's performance.

However, MSI's GTX 560 is available at 11.5K to 12K, which makes it the better card given the price. Also, I'm not sure why some sites are not stocking it, but cheaper 560s are available - POV and Palit, both about 10.8K. Excellent value for those prices even against the 6870.

(Note for buyer if interested: Palit's GTX 560 OC has a very barebones cooling system - small heatsink, no VRM cooling. As such the OC potential is quite limited due to that, and there are reports of high temperatures. POV's card is based off NVIDIA's reference design and thus should have decent overclockability. Both cards are available at techshop.in. But as with all of these graphics cards, you get what you pay for, so go for a better brand if you can stretch your budget, though the POV card doesn't seem to have any obvious issues).

Reaper_vivek

BAN...KAI
FYI MSI 560GTX is available for as low as 10400(at SMC) which is cheaper than most of the 6870 cards..and as we all know better performing too...and it can be overclocked easily so this is a good time to buy this card if u have 10k..

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
FYI MSI 560GTX is available for as low as 10400(at SMC) which is cheaper than most of the 6870 cards..and as we all know better performing too...and it can be overclocked easily so this is a good time to buy this card if u have 10k..

Cheaper? May be. Better performing? No. GTX 560 and HD 6870 have the exact performance.

*media.bestofmicro.com/G/4/292180/original/Avg%201920.png

For 10.4k, I'd get it. But it's available for 11.5k. MSI N560GTX-M2D1GD5

Reaper_vivek

BAN...KAI
Strange..I read online that it slightly outperforms 6870 in most games...anyways it's still a winner at that price..

Regarding the price...they don't update their website frequently..I went there 3 weeks ago to buy 6870 Hawk @11.2k instead they gave me MSI N560GTX-M2D1GD5 (has 2 fans) for 10400 VAT incl. :D

This is a comparison b/w 6870 and 470 as they have the newer 560Ti on their list not the one being discussed..and 560 is better than 470 in most games(source Nvidia)

tkin

Back to school!!
Cheaper? May be. Better performing? No. GTX 560 and HD 6870 have the exact performance.

*media.bestofmicro.com/G/4/292180/original/Avg%201920.png

For 10.4k, I'd get it. But it's available for 11.5k. MSI N560GTX-M2D1GD5
No, POV GTX560 is 10.5k: *techshop.in/store/point-view-gefor...card-buy-online-india-p-8224.html?cPath=320_4

I guess its a pretty good deal, its the stock cooler, so should oc properly.

Strange..I read online that it slightly outperforms 6870 in most games...anyways it's still a winner at that price..

Regarding the price...they don't update their website frequently..I went there 3 weeks ago to buy 6870 Hawk @11.2k instead they gave me MSI N560GTX-M2D1GD5 (has 2 fans) for 10400 VAT incl. :D

This is a comparison b/w 6870 and 470 as they have the newer 560Ti on their list not the one being discussed..and 560 is better than 470 in most games(source Nvidia)
Please show me a review, the 470 is hardly touched by heavily OC'ed 560TI cards(only 1GHz Gigabyte SOC 560TI barely beats the 470, upto 1080p), no way a normal 560(non TI) can touch it, 560 is a good card, and as I had shown above its available for 10.5k, but 470 has more performance any day.

The POV 560 @ 10.5k is better VFM than 6870.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
No, POV GTX560 is 10.5k: *techshop.in/store/point-view-gefor...card-buy-online-india-p-8224.html?cPath=320_4
From your link, inclusive of tax it becomes 11,029. :p Plus add 287 for shipping. SMC ships at the price they mention. yeah, 10.7k with Bank transfer. :p

tkin

Back to school!!
From your link, inclusive of tax it becomes 11,029. :p Plus add 287 for shipping. SMC ships at the price they mention. yeah, 10.7k with Bank transfer. :p
Still not bad, what gets me though is that POV is distributed by Tirupati, they have their HQ in kolkata, so prices of tirupati imported stuff is always less here, I bet it will be available for 10.5k here(+tax).

Reaper_vivek

BAN...KAI
@tkin
GeForce GTX 560 - Performance - GeForce
check the graphics performance chart in the link..

Also check out these (though these have user's opinions.)
Gigabyte GTX 460 SOV vs. GTX470 vs. GTX560 - Graphics-Cards - Graphic-Displays
GTX 470 or GTX 560? - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net

and 560 can be easily OC'ed as compared to 470(which is very noisy and gets very hot) so it's a better card overall

Top Bottom