Not able to login to Open Suse 10.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilugd

Beware of the innocent
I am unable to login to my user account in OpenSuse 10.2. My system has been running for over 3 days continuously and i have installed quite a few softwares so i cannot pin point the reason. But I am able to login to root and any new account i create. Where can I find a log or something of the login procedure?

Also after I enter my id and password, the screen become blank (There is an about inch thick bar at the bottom seemingly a corrupted screen) for about a second or so and the login screen comes up again. I check the user home directory settings in Yast > Security and Users > User Configuration and everything is perfect. What could possibly be the problem?

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
No error messages? Press ctrl+alt+F12 when you login as user and see if there's anything worth noting there.

OP
ilugd

ilugd

Beware of the innocent
no message. The screen is completely blank on pressing ctrl-alt-f12 but there is a cursor blinking on the top left.

On pressing ctrl-alt-f1 i am able to l am able to login at the commandline

kaustav_geek

1337 |)00|) \m/
I'm not sure but there might be a conflicting X client in one of those accounts .... happened to me when on Sabayon ,once....
Also, have you enabled XGL ? Go through this....

OP
ilugd

ilugd

Beware of the innocent
no luck. XGL seems to be disabled. Please help me people. I have configured that profile fully to my taste. I don't want to recreate another profile.

Hurray, works now. here is now it worked

Code:
move to the text login screen ctrl+alt+f1
1. Login as the local user
2. type ls -al on the prompt (you shud see .xinitrc there )
3. rm .xinitrc
4. exit

Then again shifted to ctrl+alt+f7 and logged in and voila! I am in.

Here is the source. *suseforums.net/index.php?showtopic=5073

Last edited:

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Oops we didn't check that before. Maybe the owner of .xinitrc would have been changed. That would be causing problems. Anyways you got it working now.

OP
ilugd

ilugd

Beware of the innocent
Thanks everyone for all your help. I am not sure how the permissions could have been changed though.

Status
Not open for further replies.