Norton Antivirus Reliable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

paid

Journeyman
Norton claims that it's latest Antivirus contains Anti keylogger but to my surprise when I recently found "iOpus STARR PRO Edition" software running in one of the cybercafe that had Norton System Works 2005 installed alongwith NAV 2005. The Keylogger security was enabled in NAV even though it never gave any warning or stopped that software. I located the log file and found everything was recorded. I complained to cafe owner but he showd ignorance and said someone might have installed that software. But my faith in Norton is shattered with this finding. What to do when super brands are not trustable?

G

gxsaurav

hmm, strange no problem here, it detects everything

However, since every AV software depends on defination files, it could be that the definations were not updated

allindrome

Journeyman
What to do when super brands are not trustable?

This is the basic problem with all users.Although Microsoft is severely criticised for its security flaws , no one appreciates the effort they put in rectifying the problem.People continue to use outdated editions of the software and then blame it on the big companies.It is like people playing the original Doom on their PC and criticising it for its graphics without even looking at Doom 3.

OP
P

paid

Journeyman
People continue to use outdated editions of the software

May be the system was outdated as it was P3 machine with WinME and Norton System Works 2005 installed. I have'nt checked on Win XP SP2 system. However definations were updated upto Jan. 2005.

SmoothCriminal

In the zone
Well.. i think in Certain AVs u have the option to Ignore certain files while scanning.. I mean, even after the AV detects it, we can choose to ignore that file w/o being deleted or quarantined..

Not sure if Norton has that feature.. If so, the Cafe-walla cud've done that..

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
if u r using a original AVS (not a pireted version) & if u can keep the defination uptodate then all the major AVS r almost same...... but lot guyes in the forum will disagry with me.... me my self had few problem with NIS.... but NAV isnt that BAD........

borg

In the zone
No software is perfect. Not even Norton. Also, I suspect the cyber cafe owner himself might have installed. Its possible.

bharathbala2003

why need title?
wel wel.. softwares are prepared n written by HUMANS.. all HUMANS tend to make mistake.. n am not surprised at this.. but am sure.. NORTAN could b the one with most lesser number of such mistakes! :D

OP
P

paid

Journeyman
Yes, NAV running there was not original one. I request if someone have the original NAV pls. download the demo to confirm if the doubt is genuine. Thanks

LINK:
www.iopus.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom