Norton Antivirus downloading huge updates

rsk11584

Journeyman
Dear Friends,

In my new HP laptop I have installed original purchased norton antivirus, as i have bsnl night unlimited i keep automatic updates off and once in a week or 10 days i do manual update of antivirus.

But whenever once in 10 days i do manual update it downloads around 110- 114 MB of updates, now my question is so much MB of update really required. What will happen to my HDD if it keeps downloading so much, I am not worried about that bandwidth coz i have 2 mbps unlimited but only worried about the HDD space, whether will it get affected because every 10 days does it add 100 MB to the program>??:sad::sad:

jsjs

Journeyman
How much hdd space do you have? If u are really so concerned update in a month or so. Btw how much ur broadband cost?

Tech.Masti

Wise Old Owl
norton version??? 2011??

generally what i know from my experience, that it installs first time update like more than 100mb, remember you updating after 10 days.... (100mb/10day= 10mb/day)

kaspersky 2012 now taking around 5-7mb perday :(

update in night free time [i.e. 2-8am]

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Its not like if you are downloading 110 MB of update, then your HDD space is being increased by the same amount.

Updates work on incremental system, which means, even if you are downloading a 110 MB of update, the actual update which would be done, will probably be just a few MB's, depending on the date since you last updated.

I can put up an example, if you have any problem understanding the above.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
^^ +1. the 110Mb files usually replace a old 100Mb files with new definition, scanning engine improvements,

Eg: Avast downloads 500kb of data daily but when a new version of Avast is out in 3-4months, total difference in size is around 5Mb or less.

also some antivirus updates their entire database once in 2-3month to compress the size & speedup the scanning process. then they need to download a good amount of data. maybe Norton is one of them.

mrintech

Technomancer
I think you are downloading the Updates from this Page: Virus Definitions & Security Updates - Symantec Corp.

I will recommend you to do Automatic Updates, as everytime you are downloading unnecessary files which your PC always had.

Automatic Updates only downloads files/definitions which are NOT present on your PC :)

OP
R

rsk11584

Journeyman
Its not like if you are downloading 110 MB of update, then your HDD space is being increased by the same amount.

Updates work on incremental system, which means, even if you are downloading a 110 MB of update, the actual update which would be done, will probably be just a few MB's, depending on the date since you last updated.

I can put up an example, if you have any problem understanding the above.

Yeah thanks this is what i wanted to know,

im not worried about bandwidth as i have night unlimited plan, so now i dont worry that my HDD is really getting increased by that 110 MB,, it just replaces the entrie database.

I think you are downloading the Updates from this Page: Virus Definitions & Security Updates - Symantec Corp.

I will recommend you to do Automatic Updates, as everytime you are downloading unnecessary files which your PC always had.

Automatic Updates only downloads files/definitions which are NOT present on your PC :)

Hi ,

I do updates from the software itself, there is option run live update... :smile::smile:

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
^^ Well, if you do update with Live Update, then there's no need to download >100 MB's update file!

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
but even if he does update every 10days update size shouldn't exceed 10Mb. 100Mb is only possible if he updates once per month.

gameranand

Living to Play
Sam said:
but even if he does update every 10days update size shouldn't exceed 10Mb. 100Mb is only possible if he updates once per month.
I guess Norton replaces the whole database everytime he updates.

Top Bottom