non gaming performance machine suggestion request

pinkyponku

Right off the assembly line
Hi friends,

I am looking out to purchase new pc, and will appreciate your help!!

1. What is the purpose of the computer? (Note: If you are planning to say multimedia, you will have to be more specific as all types of systems are capable of doing that) A:

Run power hungry server applications like Oracle, etc. Normal internet, hd movies etc

2. Are you open to alternate ideas/products giving similar better performance but offering more VFM/ sellers? If not- why? A:

Yes

3. What is your MAX budget? A:
Nothing specific, don't think I need to spend more than 40-50k. Looking out for value for money

4. Planning to overclock? A:
No, no need to oc

5. Which OS are you planning to use? A:

Win7 64 bit professional with win xp 32 bit virtualization support as some application are 32 bit only and do not support win7

6. How much hard drive space is needed? A:

1tb

7. What resolution will the screen run at & whats the size of the screen you want? If you already want have one and want to use it, mention its resolution and size. A:

I would like to have hd led monitor as lcd have bad viewing angles and sharpness. Will prefer 20+inch.was thinking of having tv inbuilt rather than having tv tuner card, so that nno need to start pc to watch tv and can have personal tv for me. Open for suggestion if yyou think buying tv does not make sence

8. How would you rate your hardware knowledge from the count of 1-10? (1 being the lowest, 5 being you are somewhat in sync with the current performers and 10 being the highest) A:

7.. but now not in touch with latest trends

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler? A:

Yes, mostly this I will get assembled, unless I see assembler charging me too much.

10. When are you planning to buy the system? A:

My laptop and old p4 not working, need ASAP.. can wait for 1-2 months. Using my mobile for time being... Android is powerful :)

11. Are you one of the types looking out for "future proof" configurations? A:

Yes

12. Are there going to be any components that you don't want to include in this new rig? If yes, do mention. A:

I think I don't need to have graphics card.. and that's the main reason for this post. After doing lot of search in Google, I see at this budget people are looking for gaming pc with oc, probably I don't need that.

13. Which city do you live in and are you open to buying from shops from other city/states? A:
Mumbai.. ok for online shops, if site is trusted and price are fare.

14. Mention any other points if deemed necessary A: _________
I was considering below base configuration
CPU - Intel I5 2400?, I7 is too costly I don't think I need that costly CPU
Motherboard - this is main confusion.. shall I go for z68 or h66/61 is ok?.. would like to have usb 3. Resisting to go for 9k+ mb
Ram - ddr3 1333 or 1600? if it is worth.. need at least 4gb..
Gpu- don't think I need it. If needed, would like to have cheaper Gpu. Or if need arise can buy later (option open with z68)
Speakers- need good speakers, probably 2.1 is fine for me. Need good high frequency sound (treble) rather than bass. Altec lencing? Didn't liked creative speakers... I ball tarang?
Monitor - as mentioned above
Keyboard/mouse.. good quality standard keyboard, mouse
need to connect WiFi-I have WiFi modem, prefer memory card reader
Psu/cabinets- plz suggest - good quality stable ones.
Rest other components standard one - plz suggest like dvd writer etc.

Thanks in advance :)

Piyush

Lanaya
I think this will be enough

Intel Core i5 2500k @10.5k
MSI Z68A-GD55(B3) @8.5k
Corsair 4gb ddr3 1600mhz @2.5k
Altec Lancing VS4621 @3k
Logitech KBM combo @0.7k(only if you dont want gaming combo)
Corsair VX 450W/CM GX 450W Bronze @3.5k
CM Elite 430/NZXT gamma @2.3k
Seagate 1TB 7200.12 @2.6k
LG/Sony/HP DVD r/rw @0.8k/0.9k/1k

Memory Card reader<--You have to search a bit
Monitor<-- Wait for some advice from other members

total amount excluding monitor and card reader~34k

Component Make Price Processor Intel Core i7 2600k 15900
Motherboard Intel DH67BL-B3 5500
RAM G-skill F3-10600CL9S-4GBNT(4Gx1) 1100
HDD Seagate 1TB 7200.12 2700
DVD Writer LG 22X SATA DVD 900
PSU Corsair GS600 4000
Case NZXT GAMMA 2000
Monitor Benq G2220HD 7000
Mouse Logitech MX-518 1300
Keyboard Logitech Classic Keyboard 200 400
UPS Intex 1KVA 1800
Speakers Logitech Z313 1500
Total 43900

Enough for your non-gaming needs.

rajnusker

Sage of the Six Paths
i5 2500 @9.8k
Asus P8H67-M @6.8k
Corsair XMS3 1600Mhz (9-9-9-24) 4x4GB @8.35k
WD Black 1TB Sata-6 7200 64MB @4k
NZXT Gamma @2.1k
Asus 24X DVD Writer @1.1k
Corsair GS600 @4k
Altec Lansing VS2621 2.1 @1.7k
Dell ST2320L 23" Widescreen LED @9.5k
Logitech Wireless MK260 @1.2k
iBall All-In-One Card Reader @0.35k
Avermedia TV Box @3k

Total: 51.9k

^^Should meet your needs and is future proof ;)

mithun_mrg

Cyborg Agent
if running server apps is top priority op should get Hp Ml 110 G6 server should be within 40-45K depends on customization with intel zion + raid

Minion

Conversation Architect
pinkyponku,No need to go for server class hardware just make sure that you have enough ram use 64bit windows 7 with 8gb of ram.You can even opt for AMD phenom x4 955 based system.
So my suggestions are
AMD Phenom x4 955-5,300
Gigabyte 880GM USB3-4,800
Corsair 8gb ddr3 value ram-2,400
HDD Seagate 1TB 7200.12-2700
Optical drive-lg-675
PSU-FSP SAGA 500watt-2,100
Logitech Wireless MK260 @1.2k
CM Elite 430/NZXT gamma @2.3k
total:21,475
Currently using my AMD phenom x4 945 for running Vmware and server application they all run well.

OP
P

pinkyponku

Right off the assembly line
Thanks friends your valuable suggestions!!!
@piyush (sorry for late reply)
I was thinking about configuration near to what you suggested. But do I need k processor?
I know it has better GPU than 2500 or 2400, about speed I don't think there will be much difference
Also how is MSI MB quality compared to asus/GB/intel?

@arjunkiller
I think I should go for SSD or SATA 6 HD rather than i7?
Prise difference between i5 and i7 is too much.

@sarath
That's exactly is in my mind ;)

@sunny10
Agree with you. I hope 8gb will help when I run multiple application

@rajnusker
So I think you suggest, no need to go for z68 board, h67 should be enough for my need.
Also you mentioned SATA 6 HD, but I just read somewhere that mechanical HD with a SATA 6 does not improve that much performance, instead SSD for just primary OS will boost performance and is value for money?

You also mentioned about avermedia tv box. What exactly it will do? I did little Google but not able to understand (or being little lazy :)). Would you mind sharing details or link where I can get details?

@mithun_arg
Don't think it will be good option. I will be using server application for learning, they will be kind of evaluation versions and most of them will not use more than 2 core/1gb RAM or multi threading as opposite to full versions

@minion
Completely agree with you for server:)

Had not a good experience with AMD and not done that much research on performance difference, so will try to avoid AMD, AMD are good for money, but I think in terms of performance intel is bit ahead.. is it not applicable to processor u suggested? If not will check in details. Obviously don't want west my money!!

@all
for monitor r u suggesting not to go for built-in tv?

Minion

Conversation Architect
If you are not going to play games on this rig then going for i7 is wasting money even i5 you can get few fps more if you use i7 or i5 but in applications you are not going to see much difference. it all depends on how much ram you have more is the ram more smoothly application will run so think wisely.

Top Bottom