Nokia X or Nokia 520

srkmish

Ambassador of Buzz
Hi friends,

I have to purchase a new mobile as My karbonn A5 was destroyed by the washing machine . The price of these 2 mobiles have now reached 7k (+-). I was thinking to get Nokia 520 as X does not have playstore installed. But i found out that we can root and install playstore. I have become very comfortable with Android interface and don't know if i can adjust to Windows interface. I have some other queries

1) Is there any app as good as MXPlayer in WP8
2) Is streaming movies in WP8 as simple as in Android ? Just install esfileexplorer and browse network and play via MX Player. This is one of my major concerns as i like to watch movies on mobile/tab before sleeping at night.
3) Can nokia x run casual games like Subway surfer/Temple run 2 fine?

Please don't suggest chinese brands like Karbonn, MMX etc as service just sucks. I have suffered once and don't want to suffer again. I dont think Sony/Samsung has good models in 7k range.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
a big no to Nokia X. the chipset is too old and weak. instead if you want to keep your budget low, go for Xperia E1. there are mobiles offering way better performance if you want to take that route.

hari1

In the zone
Try Lumia 520 yourself. You will love the fast and fluid UI of Windows Phone. If it suits your needs, then go for it otherwise there are android options.
1. Yes there is Moliplayer for WP8

OP
srkmish

srkmish

Ambassador of Buzz
Thanks guys, but Xperia E1(as recommended by sam) is looking pretty good and is available for 7.4k after applying coupons on ebay. Very tempted.

sushovan

In the zone
Lumia 520. Nokia X is the worst Android of this year so far, better get Lava 406Q if you want Android.

iSLaND

Broken In
Personally, I'd go for X. Android is the way. As you are stuck with nokia only. Else Xolo, MMx are not bad.

Flash

Lost in speed
If you're not an avid gamer, then 520 is the safe bet. Only handful of games/apps need 1GB RAM in WP.

rish1

Cyborg Agent
go for Xperia E1 ... if you can ignore camera then Xperia E1 >>>>>>> Lumia 520/Nokia X/ i would rate it above lumia 525 as well due to large selection of apps and games.customization,tweaks,mods ..

it will get Android 4.4 kitkat officially and 512 mb ram will seem plenty with fast and snappy performance

for those who don't know Android 4.4 reduces the amount of RAM usage significantly and is optimized Specially for phones having 512 mb Ram and the available free ram has been increased significantly allowing you to do general multitasking ( not heavy ) even on 512 mb ram devices smoothly which was not possible in android 4.3,4.2 and 4.1 that is why 1gb ram was recommended as minimum for them.. but with 4.4 , 512 mb ram is not a major problem anymore. its sufficient . read more here

*readwrite.com/2013/11/25/how-google-shrunk-android-for-version-44-kitkat..

+ It is an exceptional music device

here is the review .. it's awesome value for money at 7.4k..

*www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_e1-review-1066.php

don't go for Nokia X,, lumia 520 was great but then there were no choices in android , now xperia E1 is there no need to make compromise on apps,customization with WP.. 525 is ok with wp 8.1 those who want better camera

- - - Updated - - -

it'll but will 520 get the FULL wp8.1 update or a more stripped down one like it did last time?

it will get full windows phone 8.1 ..

the reason 7.5 devices were not updated to 8 was because of different kernel .. 7.5 had win 95 kerenel, and single core CPU .. wp8 had windows 8 kernel
windows phone 8.1 and windows phone 8 are same at core ,, difference is that they have enabled more features and added voice assistant and few other things which frankly all users were expecting already in Wp 8 so they are already very late

this is what windows phone 8 should have been then nokia could have survived

and besides lumia 520 owns 35 % market share for windows phone, only this model was able to save some market share for microsoft otherwise, windows phone has been a complete failure in mid and high end phones.. who would be mad enough not to support this device.. i bet it will get wp 8.2 as well..

Last edited:

rish1

Cyborg Agent
520! A cheap Droid is much worse than loose motion :|

nope not anymore with Xperia E1 + kitkat ..

some benchmark scores

antutu - 13,000 , Xperia M/L - 10k
Quadrant -5500 , Xperia M/L - 4200

Gpu Performance is same as Adreno 305 ( all high end games will run smooth as on screen performance is better than moto G , grand 2 , Htc one mini etc.. )

CPU Performance is better than Cortex A9
( Better than Galaxy MEga 5.8 , and is not too far behind beating HTC one X, lg optimus 4x HD which are flagship phones of 2012 .. )

Smooth optimized UI

Finally 2014 marks the death of cortex A5 under 10k

Last edited:

theserpent

Firecracker to the moon
nope not anymore with Xperia E1 + kitkat ..

some benchmark scores

antutu - 13,000 , Xperia M/L - 10k
Quadrant -5500 , Xperia M/L - 4200

Gpu Performance is same as Adreno 305 ( all high end games will run smooth as on screen performance is better than moto G , grand 2 , Htc one mini etc.. )

CPU Performance is better than Cortex A9
( Better than Galaxy MEga 5.8 , and is not too far behind beating HTC one X, lg optimus 4x HD which are flagship phones of 2012 .. )

Smooth optimized UI

Finally 2014 marks the death of cortex A5 under 10k
NOKIA X has A5 If i am not wrong

Top Bottom